Print

Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Wario's Castle? And other retcons!  (Read 12105 times)

« on: March 24, 2007, 04:19:30 AM »
A topic about seemingly retconned things in the Mario series, that vanished/changed without explanation.

My first observation is the topic's title, of course- Wario's Castle was last seen fully repaired at the good ending in Wario World. But in the WarioWare games, and even in Wario: Master of Disguise, Wario's living in a common house. Did his castle just dissapear or something? Or was Wario World's bad ending canon instead? That castle appeared in Wario Land 2, 4, and Wario World- It was hardly a one-shot forgettable location like the ambiguous country of Mario Land from Super Mario Land 2. Yet the castle vanished with no explanation.

Discuss this, or any other strange unexplained changes, here!
I'll think of a better signature later!

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 04:34:02 AM »
Rudy the Clown

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 07:14:33 AM »
If not Rudy, than Wario got tired of living in a castle and moved into a house.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:53:29 AM »
Do you know what you're saying? Wario, if he could chose, would live in a castle instead of a dinky shack.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »
lol mario continuity.

In all seriousness, practically everything has been retconned at one point or another in the Mario universe. I mean, Mario's house changes appearances in every Mario RPG released, Baby versions of characters suddenly appear on Yoshi's Island, Bowser Jr. appearing with no mention of the previous Koopa Kids, Pauline returning from a 20 year absence with no explanation and a lot more that I can't remember but yeah, you get the idea.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 10:32:17 AM »
I love the lack of continuity in the Mario universe!  Everyone gets to pick their favorite and say it's the "real one".

For the record, it's the original Super Mario Bros.  That's the real one.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:12:24 AM »
Perhaps Wario's common house is just a little hideout for him.  And/Or he relocated his castle to a more obscure location.  Come on, he has the money to do that, it's not like he's donating it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »
Do you know what you're saying? Wario, if he could chose, would live in a castle instead of a dinky shack.

Uh, no. I was just trying to come up with some lame excuse as to why he lives in a house.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »
There's obviously more than one Wario out there, one of which is a plumber-type who lives in a castle and beats up on Mario all day, and the other of which lives in a house and runs a wacky video game corporation.

Yes, it's the return of the thoery of multiple universes. I'm thinking there's an infinite number of different worlds were a guy named Mario fights creatures called Koopas and stuff. That's the easiest way to explain the lack of continuity without causing your own head to explode.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 02:05:43 PM »
There's obviously more than one Wario out there, one of which is a plumber-type who lives in a castle and beats up on Mario all day, and the other of which lives in a house and runs a wacky video game corporation.

Yes, it's the return of the thoery of multiple universes. I'm thinking there's an infinite number of different worlds were a guy named Mario fights creatures called Koopas and stuff. That's the easiest way to explain the lack of continuity without causing your own head to explode.

I like that theory. Dr. Mario could be an alternate universe too. Which is probably the only explanation for Mario being a doctor at all.
I'll think of a better signature later!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »
I'm also thinking that there's one Mario who was born in Brooklyn and fights the Koopalings, and another who was born in the Mushroom Kingdom and fights Bowser Jr.

There's also probably more then one DK, seeing is how one moment he's relaxing on DK Island and interacting with Rare's other characters, and the next minute he's a Mario sub-character with a toothy grin.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
There's no reason to have continuity in the first place, as long as the basic familiar characters, etc. are there. I mean, it's just a game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 04:49:47 PM »

So, where is the Mario of this universe? :P
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
Anyone for Mariology?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 06:31:34 PM »
So, where is the Mario of this universe? :P

I'm pretty sure the current games' portrayal of Mario is "Mario Prime", so I guess our universe doesn't have one, since he exists as fiction here.

Print