Print

Author Topic: Musical Taste/Favorite SMB Theme  (Read 3543 times)

« on: December 30, 2007, 12:32:42 PM »
As a part time musician, I would be interested in knowing people's musical taste and how their opinion differs from my own, so I am asking people's favorite version of the Super Mario Bros. main theme. Please, when making a post, please go into detail. Don't just say 'the original one', because that is not what I am wanting to find out.

My own favorite would have to be the one that Mr. Bungle played at their gigs. I remember going to see them when I was on holiday in California years ago. They were fantastic.
Anyway, the reason I like their version the most is because of the mix of jazz and ska. It reminds me a lot of their other songs. They even threw in a bit of the RBI Baseball theme in their version.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 01:56:41 PM »
Hmm...a favorite version? I'd probably go with track 6 of disc one of this. I can't find the words to explain why, for some reason.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
I can't really say. Though like yourself I'm also a musician (I recently changed my major in college to music), so I also like to dig deeper into stuff like this.

Recently what has fascinated me is what has influenced Koji Kondo and other Mario composers. Listening to the SMB3 Airship theme I can see he based it off of Gustav Holst's Planets suite's first movement somewhat. He also seems to like to use a lot of samba-style instruments, etc.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 08:23:48 PM »
My favorite rendition of the Mario theme is still probably the overworld from the SMAS version of SMB. Something about that arrangement just hit the spot. I'm not really taking into account arrange albums or fan arrangements, so it should be noted that there are a few live arrangements I like a lot. Like Ulu's.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »
Yeah, the SMAS-SMB one is pretty good. I like the version that plays during a tutorial in Partners in Time, too.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 01:48:16 AM »
Listening to the SMB3 Airship theme I can see he based it off of Gustav Holst's Planets suite's first movement somewhat.

It's cool that you mention this, because just recently I was listening to "The Planets" and my brother pointed out that it sounded like the Doom Ship theme.

As for the Overworld theme variations, none match the original for me.  When I hear it, I feel all excited and nostalgic because I heard it so many thousands of times during my childhood.  Some of the other versions of the theme are fun alternatives, but they don't do the same for me.  I really love the way it plays, unaltered, at the beginning of the "Super Mario Bros." movie, underscoring a black screen.  Unfortunately then the movie begins.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard a version of the classic Mario theme I didn't like. If I had to pick a favorite, though, it would probably be the Little Fungitown version in SuperStar Saga.

If someone, somewhere, plays the song on an appropriate bluegrass-style banjo in appropriate bluegrass-style, however, I will love them for the rest of my life.

< <;
-Your friendly neighborhood potato.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 02:34:03 PM »
Hmm.. so many different versions, so many ways to enjoy the Mario theme..

I really like the slowed down version that plays when you use the Music Box item in SMB3. There's also the theme as it was presented in SMW (in the special zone..), the theme during both the opening and credits for the first Mario Party game, and during the instructional parts for both of the Mario and Luigi games..

It's really hard for me to pick just one that I like because its so easy to remix the theme into a style that you like.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print