Print

Author Topic: Favorite Super Mario Bros.?  (Read 2036 times)

« on: July 12, 2001, 10:18:43 AM »
In the beginning (1985) there was "Super Mario Bros."  And it was good.

Then the arcades wanted a piece of the action, so in 1986 "Vs. Super Mario Bros." came into existence.  It had with modified worlds and a more challenging enemy lineup but it still had the same 8-bit graphics.

Then a revolution occured, and there were twice as many bits to work from.  So in 1993 "Super Mario Bros." was revamped for Super Nintendo's "Super Mario All-Stars."  There were updated graphics, a save function, and slightly modified gameplay.  Everyone thought that was the end of the "Super Mario Bros." story, until...

In the year 2000 Game Boy technology had advanced to the point that games of N.E.S.-level sophistication could be played on the tiny system.  And so "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" came to be, with the classic graphics but radically altered games.

Now comes the question: which is your favorite version of  "Super Mario Bros.?"  Which is the greatest incarnation of the classic Nintendo game?

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2001, 12:07:58 AM »
I love SMBDX myself.  In fact, I am currently playing through the Lost Levels on it right now.  I think thats my favorite re-make.

Of course, nothing beats the original.  I just love playing it.

And "Vs." is fun to play, too.  The theater in the town I go to college in still has it and I always blow some money playing it there.

--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2001, 08:27:11 AM »
DX,I get see what boo would look like if he was in the original in the first place.And i like to play as luigi with out having to be second player.

"If it''''s a joke, laugh at it"
All hail the almighty oreo master

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2001, 04:25:49 PM »
I don't have a gameboy (ANY gameboy) myself, but I've played SMBDX before and I have to honestly say my favorite remake of SMB is the Super Nintendo version. I don't like the smaller screen on the GB (even GBA is too small for me) and it's hard to see the tiny sprites and time your jumps well in gameboy format.

I've never played the arcade version of it, I never knew they even had one, but that's cool. The reg Nintendo version of SMB is good but No Save = No Like for me.

Yup, so the SNES version is da bomb...no question. It'd be sorta cool if they came out with a new version of Super Mario Bros. for the gamecube, though, that could include awesome, Super Smash Bros. Melee looking graphics, and the ability to play as Toad and Yoshi and stuff. There would be all of the original levels from the game, the lost levels, time trials, splitscreen races through levels that you could play with friends, a battle mode, and other cool things. Man, that'd be cool. Of course, I'm just dreamin here.

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \   -"Who wants lottery tickets!?"
| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \   -"Who wants lottery tickets!?"

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2001, 05:21:48 PM »
I say the original is best.

The save function and extra two lives in "Super Mario All-Stars" make it too easy.  And the redone graphics are awful!  I can understand increasing the detail, but those were altered almost beyond recognition.

"Vs. Super Mario Bros." I haven't played yet, but I probably will soon.

"Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" is just a waste of money.  It's pretty much just the same as the original, except there's the "Challenge" version where it's impossible to get anywhere.

Original 1985 all the way!

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

A true fan of Mario
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Print