Print

Author Topic: Princeton study claims Comic Sans is better for learning  (Read 2856 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »
This irks me greatly.

Apparently, Comic Sans is a better font for learning because it's (supposedly) harder to read -- thus requiring you to be more engaged in the reading.

HEY KID'S!!!!!!! CHIRSTOPHER COLUMBUS prooved that the WORLD is ROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what our grandkids' history books are going to look like.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
Slashdot had an article yesterday that said similarly that reading off an e-reader was easier, and therefore less likely to absorb the information.  I find it very hard to believe it. Admittedly, I am not educated in how the brain takes info, but I would think that straining to know what's written is different from processing what's being said.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:28:19 AM »
Usually when I strain to read something--like if my vision is messed up for some reason--I tend to focus less on what I'm reading and more on the fact that I'm reading in the first place.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:20:06 AM »
First: misleading thread title and post. The experiment wasn't specifically about Comic Sans at all; Italicized Comic Sans was just one of the several fonts used.

Second: hmm, who to trust: Princeton professors and Ph.D candidates performing actual trials or dudes on a forum who find it hard to believe.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »
...Why is the mere mention of Comic Sans even newsworthy? What is with people's obsession with hating this particular font? I never even see it used anywhere!

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:29:12 PM »
You have now!

I don't see the obssesion either, but I also don't think it's worth hating. It's just a font. If you don't like it, don't read it.

.. or just ignore the fact that things will be written in Comic Sans, since you won't know till you actually look at it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 12:57:29 AM »
Comic sans is the shiz. COMIC SAANNNS!
As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: take it or leave it.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:30:34 AM »
Slashdot had an article yesterday that said similarly that reading off an e-reader was easier, and therefore less likely to absorb the information.

Seems like the truth to me. I have a ton of difficulty remembering stuff I read off my digital textbooks or internet resources in general, but I can clearly recall info from printed sources word for word.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print