Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 57465 times)

« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:26 PM »
Anyway moving past my earlier comment onto being serious.... I think a part of what game is better is also based on how you play. If you "cheat" AKA use a GC controller you're not going to experience much difference in play style, BUT if you use the wii-mote - nun-chuck combo then you have much more freedom while playing to gesticulate wildly and there is also the added benefit of being able to hit people with the cord running between the two when they kill you. The inclusion of sonic and snake (mostly sonic) does deprecate the value of the game, but really people just deal with it. While the online is "unforgivably bad" as Briguy92 said it does allow you to play against your friends without them having to be there, and voice chat is just a Skype call away. Also the level editor while not terribly detailed or complex adds a level of fun to the game which is other wise impossible with melee. I mean come on what is more fun then fighting inside a cube of bricks with two spots where people can fly out? Also zero-suit Samus. Nuff said. You have a character who is simply amazing in both forms and as for her final smash not being any good I beg to differ. I have gotten dozens of kills during the transformation between zero-suit and power-suit Samus; it merely takes a little bit of skill to learn how to do it right. Plus with here speed it is possible to get the smash ball and then run around avoiding other players while not using it causing massive amounts of aggravation to your friends; and isn't that what games like this are really about: raising your friends stress level just a little bit?

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Well, since that's my main you're talking about, I have to respond. Honestly, I like DK's final smash. True, it doesn't work too well on HUGE stages (not always though), but on small stages it is great. I've found that it's very easy to KO people if you get the bongos centered in just the right spot, and it also has a lot of power.

Speaking of that, how does his Final Smash work anyway? I've never been able to get any sort of timing down to do great amounts of damage with.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2008, 07:41:23 PM »
Push A in quarter-notes. I believe that's the same rate the damage waves come out.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2008, 07:46:47 PM »
GC Controller I don't think I'd consider "cheating," necessarilly. I hate the Wiimote stuff for Brawl and Mario Kart. Classic controller feels as if I'm going to break it if I touch it.

Personally, Melee is way too FAST. The gameplay is horridly fast. The original was very slow in terms of gameplay, Melee was WAY too fast, and Brawl is perfect.... just like Goldilock's porrage. Brawl is juuuuuust right.

I mean, take a look at how fast Fox runs in Melee. Sonic seems to run the same speed as Melee's Fox in Brawl. Brawl's Fox seems to run as fast as Melee's Mario, and Mario is not like impossibly fast in Brawl like he was in Melee. Yes, you could say when you fire off attacks in Brawl, they're insanely fast like if you just sit there doing Fox's A kick... it's infinitely fast.. *UNTIL* you make contact, then it slows it down considerably, and I really enjoy that..... oh and the slowing down of the fan....

Melee does not look better than Brawl. Compare Melee's cartoony colors to Brawl's more 'Darker and Edgier' tone. The stages don't change much in Melee whereas every Brawl stage has *some* cool change to it, whether it's weather, seasons, events happening, etc.

My TV is a Phillips HDTV that is 42". My Wii has the "HD" cables that bump it up to 480P. I played Melee and play Brawl currently with the "Smoother" graphics option turned on because the "Sharper" resolution or whatever makes it look horrible. The only game that looks better because of the cables is Galaxy, really. Brawl and Mario Kart look a whole lot better, Sports and Play look.... oh you know, the same.

The "high def" cables makes everything have a ton of jaggies though, which is extremely annoying... I figure that coupled with the sharper option in brawl would make it worse.
Formerly quite reasonable.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2008, 07:54:30 PM »
If you ask me, the Classic Controller has one major flaw. The left stick and the D-Pad are in the wrong places. Or maybe the sticks are just too close to the center of the controller. It's a very nice controller for old games, but I hate using the sticks.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2008, 08:08:54 PM »

Personally, Melee is way too FAST. The gameplay is horridly fast.
But that's part of what makes Melee so much fun.  It keeps you alert.

Compare Melee's cartoony colors to Brawl's more 'Darker and Edgier' tone.

What's wrong with cartoony?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:12:06 PM by Kojinka »
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »
I played Melee and play Brawl currently with the "Smoother" graphics option turned on because the "Sharper" resolution or whatever makes it look horrible.
Hmmmmmm, I totally forgot about that graphics option. I'll have to toggle that and see what happens. I've never changed it off the default in Melee or Brawl.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2008, 08:47:56 PM »
Smoother will net you a much better experience if you've never fooled with it before.

The problem with cartoony.... well, it's cartoony. Mario and friends in virtually all games always have the same EXTREME SOLID RED GREENS BLUES, etc. applied to them.... never any deeper tones or anything. I mean, sometimes it's like watching a Saturday morning cartoon. The thing that's really annoying is that you have Brawl and Galaxy.... where the characters are depicted to be more realistic and probably what they should all look like all the time.... When you go from Brawl and Mario's got visible stiching, worn overalls with a logo on the back, etc. then you switch to Mario Kart, Sluggers, etc. and they're right back to bright clay looking models.... you think well crap, couldn't they just stick Brawl Mario/etc. into say, Mario Kart and make THOSE games look like Brawl or Galaxy? I mean, take a look at Twilight Princess! That's what Mario needs... Mario and his surroundings need to look like freakin' Gran Turismo 5. When Mario steps into the next-gen.... hopefully it'll have the same power as a 360/PS3 or better (yeah, right), for example, I can bet you anything Mario will still look cartoony.

In-game play of Mario games should look like the GCN intros to Mario Power Tennis, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Toadstool Tour...... but with a Brawl tinge to it.... and better.

The other problem with the classic that I've experienced and totally makes it crap-tapulous to play and I avoid using it with games is the fact that some titles on the VC have the buttons swapped. Say you're playing Lost Levels or SMB3... the B and A buttons are used for your commands (like the NES, obviously) instead of it being transferred to a SNES setup... which you would instinctively use Y and B for. So.... that makes your thumb point 90 degrees the *opposite* way you should be playing... your thumb pointing *down.* And if that doesn't make it worse A and B are swapped in terms of gameplay.... you have to hold A to run and B to jump instead of the NES' opposite configuration.... so it's totally unnatural.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2008, 09:20:42 PM »
I don't know about you, but when I play NES games with NES or Classic controllers, I rock my thumb from left to right, not use my tip/knuckle to press A and B. So far it's worked fine for me.
Also, what are you talking about, buttons being reversed? On what games?
That was a joke.

« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »
In my opinion... the only thing that made Brawl worth playing was it's soundtrack... (more on that later)

Like... DUDE!!! You're totally right... it's not just the Home Run Bat that doesn't have the awesome intensity, it's the entire physics and engine. Personally, I have come to love Melee's fast and hectic style, but still... Brawl has some stuff that really irritates me to no end... such as *cough, it's going around, cough* GAME N' WATHCHCHHCHHCHCASSSSS FIIIIIIINNALLLL SMASSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRG, THIS GUY AAAAT MYYYYYY SCHOOOOL UUUUUUSSSEEESSSSS IT ALLL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!

SO ANNOYING...

On the other hand, I also gladly will play the original N64 version, with it's slower reaction time, it's polygon-like character models, and simplistic fighting... personally if you ask me, the N64 version WAS Smash Bros... but Brawl adds a lot of new stuff.
So, that being said, Brawl simply does not use it's new features correctly, and there was room for more fairness and fun...
I still ponder why Nintendo made a Final Smash an item and not a move that perhaps charges up over time. Then an item similar to a smash ball could be broken to enable a character to counter a Final Smash...
Please don't get me into the horrible in-accuracy of Subspace Emissary's storyline. I have both the original N64 and Melee, but not Brawl. However, from what I've seen of the new adventure mode, it's simply a wanna-be platformer featuring the full Smash crew. Well, at least the cutscenes seemed cool at first until you see GANNONDORF, the Technologically Impaired Gerudo, USING A COMPUTER, and BOWSER WITH HIS KOOPA ARMY STEALING DK'S BANANAS! OHH, SOO OUT OF PLACE, IT'S JUST... IT'S... IT'S... IT'S OOOOOOOOOOOVEEEERRRRR NIIIIIIIIINEE-THOOOOOOOOOUSAAAAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
^  You are cool for like 3 reasons.

1) You understand Melee is better than Brawl.

2) You are a Dude.

3) Your posts are very dramatic and exciting.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »
GAME N' WATHCHCHHCHHCHCASSSSS FIIIIIIINNALLLL SMASSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRG, THIS GUY AAAAT MYYYYYY SCHOOOOL UUUUUUSSSEEESSSSS IT ALLL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!

Well, if he uses Mr. Game & Watch often, I can see how this happens. Get that Smash Ball and show him yours.

move that perhaps charges up over time.

Wario Waft. That's only one, sure, but imagine if everyone had a two-minute-charge move--everybody trying to use it at that last minute or with that one minute more, or holding out in a stock match until the move charges... And a lot of the time it just leaves you with a worthless move.

Please don't get me into the horrible in-accuracy of Subspace Emissary's storyline.

Yeah, but it's a crossover with a plot. A huge crossover. You have to abandon all prior knowledge of the characters to really enjoy it. Actually, though, the cutscenes were the most entertaining part. "Wario Messes With King Dedede" is the best. I laughed with Ganondorf when the Ancient Minister was on fire. Sonic managed to look cool and not arrogant when he smashed through Tabuu's wings. I can't believe they chose Pokey to be a boss. Although, the original bosses could've been other people... like Liquid Snake in a helicopter shouting "die!"

Though, the game itself sucks. I hate the overly powerful enemies in their huge flocks. I hate playing as Marth, Ike and Meta Knight. I hate the orange platforms in the Research Facility. I hate the idea that a player would even think to pick Lucario and beat up Meta Knight, already established as a hero. I hate that the final level is every level all over again.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »
Lol, you're a Dude, too. AND a green one !! (ask me if you want the explanation behind my screenname)
Thanks, it seems that I always bash the new games in a series... I used to hate Melee until I got really good with Pikachu... I guess Brawl doesn't deserve to be bashed, but it just wasn't the revolutionary experience that everyone was clamoring about...

Sqrt2

« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2008, 05:40:45 AM »
Personally, I think that Brawl is better than Melee due to the better Adventure mode and the amount of classic tunes available. Even if I consider all the things I don't like about Brawl, I still prefer it over Melee.

Besides I've always wanted to run Pikachu over with the Blue Falcon, and in this game, I can. :)
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2008, 06:50:51 AM »
Quote from: Trainman on October 16, 2008, 08:46:47 pm

Personally, Melee is way too FAST. The gameplay is horridly fast.
But that's part of what makes Melee so much fun.  It keeps you alert.

Quote from: Trainman on October 16, 2008, 08:46:47 pm

Compare Melee's cartoony colors to Brawl's more 'Darker and Edgier' tone.

What's wrong with cartoony?

Thumbs-up for this post. And beanDude's as well.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print