Poll

What do you think of Mario Sports Games?

Good
16 (69.6%)
Bad
1 (4.3%)
I don't play them
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Mario Sports Games  (Read 15720 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 10:21:22 PM »
If the Mii creator had the right mustache, it wouldn't look so weird.  :D
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
I'd have perfered Mario Cricket...Gridiron is pushing it a little....

Come to think of it, Mario shouldn't be doing Team Games...

Olimar2

• Sky-high strung
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 02:05:28 AM »
They should make Volleyball and Hockey.

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
I think Mario sports games are okay, but only in moderation.  Nintendo should focus more on main Mario games such as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy.  My favorite sport for Mario are tennis and golf.  I didn't like strikers or hoops very much and I hated the baseball one.
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm fine with mario sports games, even though I don't really play them at much (the main spinoffs I play are mario kart and mario party). I'm also even more accepting of them now that Nintendo has been making more standard mario games for the two current systems (FOUR platformers on the DS, and one AMAZING platformer on the Wii with a rumored sequel comning out). It's a lot better than it was back in the gamecube era. >_>

For the most part, good games.

Compared to real sports games, VERY GOOD GAMES.

Quoted for truth. Real sports games are EXCEEDINGLY boring, and unlike the mario sports games, they change very little each time a new version comes out.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »
The  only Mario sports spinoff other than the Mario Kart games (if they count) that I've played is Mario Strikers Charged.  It's pretty good for a while, but I suck at it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »
If you play Mario Tennis on the Donkey Kong jungle court and make a point to never let the ball hit the ground (just lob all the time), you've basically got Mario Volleyball.

I like the Mario sports games, they simplify it to the point that I'd actually want to play the sports. But then I later learned that Mario Golf is just Hot Shots Golf with a makeover (which I'm okay with, I mean, solid simplified golf foundation there).

Super Mario Kart - Great courses, great presentation... but I just can't get that powerslide down.

Mario Kart 64 - Forgetting that I couldn't turn worth a darn in SMK, I tried this game... and wow. Powersliding is a lot easier here, turning feels more responsive - this is what I WANT Mario Kart games to control like. Everything since just feels more like Super Mario Kart (I tried Mario Kart Double Dash, it's just not the same). As a result, I liked this Mario Kart game... and I used to be so good at it that I thought the CPU players were an absolute joke - until I stopped playing it for years and found myself getting whooped by Toad.

Mario Golf - This used to be my favorite, man. I'd be in the house for hours on end, trying to Get Characters and getting a birdie on every hole (the Ask Dan guy said on that Jet Force Gemini / Donkey Kong 64 video that a birdie on every hole would unlock something special), pulling my hair out on trying to clear Ring Shot mode... good times. Great music too. And I used to be so good at it that putts were never a problem. Loved it, couldn't find any faults with it. That is... until that one fateful day when the game froze up and decided to delete ALL my saved data. That's the only time I felt that game saves would have been better if they were saved to the memory card. After that, I didn't have the will to spend another 40+ hours to unlock everything again. Imagine if a saved-game-deleting freeze happened when I was playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Mario Tennis - The most accessible Mario sport I think, very fast, lots of fun, and the roster's bigger (Paratroopa!!). I managed to beat all six cups with... either Yoshi or Paratroopa, I forget. My favorite moment in the game was when I was playing against Baby Mario, he was too good, I was on the ropes. I hit the ball straight towards Baby Mario, I'm thinking "Oh no, he's going to slam it past me, I just know it". Baby Mario winds up for the slam... but the ball hops over his head, Baby Mario goes "WAGH!", and I score a point. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour - I don't know, didn't like this one as much. I know it's basically the same game, but I kind of miss the music and courses from the original game. I did like that Koopa Troopa's always on the verge of falling over whenever he takes a swing, though.

...and I haven't played any other Mario sports games. I was kind of disappointed to hear that the previous Mario baseball game (just the fact that there was a Mario baseball game boggles my mind) gave you no control over fielding, but in hindsight, virtual baseball games bore me to death. I tried playing a few baseball games, thinking there'd be something to hook me in... and there never was. The only baseball game I ever enjoyed was one of those Ken Griffey Jr. games. I think it was Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run for SNES. I liked when the umpire would tap the screen if you didn't do anything for a while.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:40:37 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »
I got Mario Power Tennis and Toadstool Tour, but have barely touched them.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 04:35:14 AM »
Really the only Mario sports spin-offs I've played are the Kart games, and the only one I have a big problem with is Double Dash!! The physics seem so... off. Maybe it's just that DD has more realistic physics and all the other games are totally screwed up. Also, MKWii's biggest selling point (The Wii Wheel) happens to also be its biggest flaw. It's extremely unresponsive, and I've never managed to come in anything above 10th place using it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 06:57:24 AM »
The wheel, at least for me, is great--you just come in last place(s) because the CPUs get Blue Shells and POW Blocks and all kinds of crap every five seconds. If there were only eight racers and less items, that game would actually be great. Quantity over quality, I guess... gee, that's a first.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 10:01:04 PM »
I like Mario sports games alot except for Mario Strikers which I did not like.  My favorite are the Mario Karts second is Mario Golfs thrid is Mario Tennis fourth is Mario Basketball (only one of those for the DS) fifth is Mario Baseball.  I thought Strikers made the characters have to much attitude and peach had such little clothes she was almost naked.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 01:55:23 PM »
She wore something a bit more revealing than usual, but you should shouldn't look at Peach Fanart on DeviantArt is you think she was almost naked...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 02:06:23 PM »
I thought Strikers made the characters have to much attitude and peach had such little clothes she was almost naked.
QFT on the first part, but if you thought that was "almost naked"... Internet, meet MushroomJunkie. MushroomJunkie, meet internet.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
Don't worry.  I saw all that peach, samus and Nintendo hentai.  It's only all over youtube.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »
Gee, I thought they didn't let you upload that kind of stuff...

Print