Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 21: First Level  (Read 8057 times)

« on: September 07, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »
User nominated, this weeks poll is on the Mario Game with the Best and Worst First Level.

BEST: Uhh...Super Mario Bros? For nostalgia points...

WORST: Super Mario Sunshine. Woo! An airport! What fun!

NOMINATIONS:
Mario Sports game (2)
Original Super Mario Bros Level (1)
2D Game (2)
3D Game (1)

(10 Votes=Topic)

BEST Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 5(Powerups): Super Mario Bros 3
WEEK 6(Bowser Level):Paper Mario
WEEK 7(First Boss): Super Mario 64
WEEK 8(Yoshi's Role): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 9(Intro): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 10(Ending): Paper Mario
WEEK 11(Races): Super Mario 64
WEEK 12(Non-Bowser bosses): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 13(Hub):Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 14(Hub Dwellers): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 15(Title Screen): Super Mario 64
WEEK 16(Box Art): Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
WEEK 17(Level Success Animation): Super Mario 64
WEEK 18(Ghost Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 19(Castle/Fortress Music): Super Mario World
WEEK 20(Super Mario Bros. Remixes): Super Mario 64

WORST Winners:
WEEK 13(Hub): Super Mario Galaxy/Super Paper Mario
WEEK 14(Hub Dwellers): Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 15(Title Screen): Mario Kart Wii
WEEK 16(Box Art): Mario Kart Wii
WEEK 17(Level Success Animation): Super Mario Bros. 2(American)
WEEK 18(Ghost Levels): Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 19(Castle/Fortress Music): Super Mario Bros. 3
WEEK 20(Super Mario Bros. Remixes): Super Mario All-Stars    <--First Appearance

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »
Best: Super Paper Mario. Who doesn't like seeing the familar 2D landscape from SMB being twisted on its side?
Worst: Yoshi's Island DS. If the "practice stage" counts as the first level, it sucked because it was a carbon copy of its processor with no added twists.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:02:42 PM »
Suprisingly, I'm actually going to nominate Super Mario 64 for "best first level". I don't like the game as much as a lot of other games, but I have to admit that Bomb-omb Battle Field is one of the most well structured introductary levels I've ever seen. It's not hard and eases you into the game's mechanics, but it also has a lot of secrets and translates the grass theme to 3-D very well. It's the only level in the entire game that I find myself going back to a lot- and I don't really play the game that much at all.

Worst? That's a toughie, but I'm actually going to say Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels. Yes, I've never gotten far in the game at all, but when I look at video game maps online, the later levels seem a lot better than the first. Level 1-1 honestly just feels too cluttered and rushed, with no rhyme or reason to the design. This is again compared to the other levels in the game - Lost Levels seems to have some of the best and most devious level design in any mario game, and the first level just doesn't seem to accurately convey the depth and scale of the rest of the game.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »
Best: SM64
Worst: SMB
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
BEST: Super Mario 64
WORST: Super Mario Sunshine
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:44:07 PM »
Best: Super Mario 64 - It's a pure classic.
Worst: SMB2J, seriously, you might as well call it 9-1 because its difficulty picks up where the original ended, and it so long and always a challenge.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 06:32:35 AM »
Best: Super Mario Galaxy. The game as a whole kind of disappointed me, but dang, did it know how to make an entrance.
Worst: SMB2J. But hey, it's old and technically a... well, whatever you call a game that picks up directly after the last one without resetting the difficulty.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »
Best: SM64 - Pure classic, with music that simply wins.

Worst: Super Mario RPG, with the exception of the creative Bowser battle at the end. Aside from that, it's just a bunch of (nearly) identical battles.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »
If the "practice stage" counts as the first level, it sucked because it was a carbon copy of its processor with no added twists.

Predecessor, maybe?

Best: Super Mario Galaxy. I am counting the very beginning of the game as the first level (the start of the Star Festival to the point where you rescue the first Grand Star). It setsup the game perfectly, and helps to introduce the many skills you will need to fight your way through the cosmos.

Worst: Super Mario Sunshine. Though it was in an airport, it gets credit for having a neat scene when Fludd was registering Mario's customer info (remember all the Mario games that showed in the bottom right?)

Nominee: I vote for best SMB level.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 11:23:48 PM »
it gets credit for having a neat scene when Fludd was registering Mario's customer info (remember all the Mario games that showed in the bottom right?)
That was way too fleeting. I think I totally missed it when I first played the game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:45:39 AM »
Best: SM64  for reasons stated in posts above.

Worst:  I'm going with the majority here, and say SMS.  I can't think of anything worse right at the moment.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:58 PM »
Oh and for next time, I vote best 2D game of those choices.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »
BEST:super Mario bros.

WORST:paper Mario

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »
Best: Super Mario Galaxy. It's awesome like the rest of the game.

Worst: New Super Mario Bros. This level gave me 99 lives in about 10 minutes. Where's the challenge in that?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 11:14:35 PM »
You must like it if you played through it repeatedly for ten minutes. :/

Best: I will go with Galaxy, with the Gateway Galaxy in mind. It's the closest I can think of to a perfect tutorial level in a Mario game. An absolutely perfect tutorial level would have your objective and no time limit to reach it, and lots of other distractions that serve as samples that introduce aspects of the rest of the game. Like the craters in Gateway Galaxy, and the fact that you are on a sphere and must check out the other side.

Worst: While I did like the underground theme remix, I'll have to vote Delfino Airstrip, too. It's the polar opposite of a perfect tutorial level--the objective is presented immediately, there is nothing to do outside of fulfilling that goal, except for talk to people. But of course the people are all complaining about your unfulfilled objective, creating the mentality that you have to hurry up.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print