Print

Author Topic: The Non-Tournament Players Tier List (For Brawl)  (Read 11718 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
I've seen the Smash Kingdom series.  I got the TR4Q joke,  and I actually agree with Dr. Wright, Tiers are dumb.  It only encourages players to use certain characters more often than other characters.  Play around with all the characters until you find the ones you are really good with.  I'm pretty good with Ganondorf in Melee, and he was near the bottom tier.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »
My personal view is that, unless your are actually cheating, no method of winning is actually cheap. I have a friend that thinks using the Gamecube C-Stick to do smash attacks in Melee and Brawl is "cheap," which I disagree with. Besides, doing things like only spamming one attack is usually only useful against players a lot less experienced than you. Trying that against a Smash Bros tournament master would just get your butt kicked.

The only thing I'm not sure about is certain techniques like snaking and wave-dashing, which may or may not be glitches - not advanced techniques intended by the actual developers. Regardless, I don't play against people that use them, so it doesn't matter to me whether other players take advantage of them. However, I'm not fond of people who claim that Brawl and Mario Kart Wii were ruined just because they took those things out. Complain about the lack of new content, complain about the items - I don't care about that, but saying that you won't even play those games just because you can't dominate with a questionable technique isn't my cup of tea.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Sqrt2

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 03:36:04 AM »
If it works that well, why wouldn't you do it? Don't you want to win?

I can win without resorting to spamming one move over and over again, thank you.
AA fanboy and proud!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 07:06:42 AM »
Give me Toon Link and I'll Down-Air the heck out of you.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »
I'll try to better explain tiers.
A player using Marth could still get their butt kicked by a more highly skilled player that uses Ganondorf.  However, if these two players were equally skilled, the odds will lean more in Marth's favor.
It pretty much just compares the performance of different characters in tournaments when used by players of the same skill level.

My problem with tiers is that newbies misinterpret its purpose.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »
Sqrt2, I believe you are what Lizard Dude refers to as a "scrub".
That was a joke.

Sqrt2

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 03:17:44 AM »

And I'll counter you every time if I have to!
AA fanboy and proud!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
Now you've got the idea.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 05:34:17 AM »

My friend who likes Toon Link is annoying and sometimes downright scary with how well she can use that move.

BTW, I've been playing as Snake a bit.  I think he should maybe go one tier up for his mad mine-laying skillz.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print