Poll

Do you believe in it?

Yes
1 (5.9%)
No
16 (94.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Print

Author Topic: Astrology  (Read 3568 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »
That's right, I've found another thing about which to ask you all.

Ever look at those horoscopes in the newspapers? What do you think of them? Do you seriously believe that that's what will happen to you or do you just laugh and move on? I honestly think it's a quack science where the illusion of accuracy in prediction is achieved by our belief that what was predicted will happen.

(No, Vid, I will not add a "don't care" option to the poll.)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »
I read them the same way I read Chinese fortunes. Meaning I'll read it just have a laugh. To me it's ridiculous that anyone would rely on something someone made up supposedly based on the position of the planets and the stars. I really don't see what it has to do with anything, but there's a very microscopic chance that I'm too informed on the subject. It's kind of like trying to face something you're predestined to do, which I don't really understand. I don't go on thinking "Oh crap I'm gonna die from tripping over a banana in a grocery store." and never go to one again.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:41:54 PM »
Once in a while I'll look at my horoscope on the web, just for a quick laugh. 90% of what's said in my horoscope is very broad; it's possible that at least one thing said in the horoscope itself will happen to me over the week because of this fact. Of course, the likelihood of death occurring over the next month if it said....oh, I dunno..."You're gonna die and burn in heck" is quite slim. Though I would wanna talk to the guy making these horoscopes. But if something happened to me tomorrow and the horoscope said it would, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:57:58 PM »
They're always so vague it's impossible to actually learn anything from them. Anybody can benefit from, "Watch your step on this day," because you have a chance of tripping and breaking your neck and dying every day. If mine one day said, "You will engage in a battle with Chuck Norris" and gave details on how to win, and I did, then I'd believe in them.

As for "people born this month are kind, giving and selfless etc." explain pairs of twins where one is kind, giving and selfless etc. while the other is a conniving murderer.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 06:01:33 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:00:40 PM »
They're always so vague it's impossible to actually learn anything from them.

Ah, vague, that's the word I was looking for.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:22:53 PM »
Indeed, horoscopes provide generic advice or information too ambiguous to not be true. There is no way that the alignment of planets affects my relationships. Unless we got into an argument about the aforementioned topic, perhaps.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:32:08 AM »
(No, Vid, I will not add a "don't care" option to the poll.)
How dare you assume I'm not interested.

I am an Aries, and I sometimes look at my horoscope, just for fun, and just consider it coincidence if it comes true.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 05:15:50 AM »
Well, lately you've been doing a lot of not caring, so.

But let's not start that thing up again.
No, I don't believe in astrology, but I do like to look at the horoscopes when given the chance just for the fun and interest of seeing someone's amazing abilities to know how our lives will be.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:49:19 PM »
No. I don't go for micro-quasi-religious fortune-cookie comments next to pictures of crabs and weights.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 04:47:33 PM »
If mine one day said, "You will engage in a battle with Chuck Norris" and gave details on how to win, and I did, then I'd believe in them.

Note to self: Get job writing fortune cookie fortunes and/or horoscopes.
Addendum: After writing Bird Person's fortune, play more NetHack and use fortunes from there.

I'm not really a fan of the whole "astrology" idea.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:46 PM »
I read them all, the horoscopes and the Chinese horoscopes, not that I believe in them, though. They are funny to me, to be quite honest, so I just read them for the fun of it.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:35 PM »
I voted yes (and at the time that I voted, I am the only one to say yes).

I do read the horroscope in the paper, but mostly because they are vague enough to fit anobody who reads them. I've read Taurus and Pisces before, and both fit my day perfectly. But, if you're seriously into Astrology, you should either talk to my fiancee or get a book about reading the stars/signs.

I'm a Pisces, and I find reading signs and things interesting. My fiancee did a Tarot reading for me recently, and it was right. (No need for details..)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:56:35 AM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 03:25:25 PM »
This just made me think... is there a "what's your sign" thread, or will this do? Well, either way, Scorpio here (love the name).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print