Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 130129 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »
How can you tell?  Please enlighten me.

You never back up anything you say with anything. All you do is claim one thing is wrong and other things or right and that's the way it should be. Since you put your ends of the arguments that way, the rest of us shouldn't be obligated to listen to you, even though you act like we should.

« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »
Okay, let me rephrase what I said above. A lot of people seem to think that Christians believe what they believe just because "the Bible said it." Well, that's false. Some may be like that, but many Christians research and think about things using sources OTHER than the bible. Ever heard of Lee Strobel? He was a hardcore athiest, and he set out to prove Christianty wrong by researching every aspect of it. He came to the conclusion that it was all true. I know that won't sway anyone - the only point I'm making is that converting to Christianity is not always a split second, impulse decision made on feelings.

True, this is a common misconception. In fact, there is no proof of Christianity.

Well, is there any evidence for athiesm? It seems that all athiests ever do to "prove" athiesm is to attack Christianity and religion. I never actually see athiests defending their beliefs - they are always on the attack.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »
It annoys the fudge out of me that all arguments related to religion here go like so:

A: That's not true.
B: Prove it.
A: I'll prove it if you prove that.
B: I'll only prove that if you prove this.
A: You prove that first.
B: No, you first.
A: No, you, I asked you first.
Lizard Dude: You're dumb and stupid and fat and you suck at life.

And so on. It's really annoying to have everyone on both sides go out and say there's no evidence for X just because they say so.
every

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
^Pure sweet truth.^

I've said this before, but the topic title is "What's Your Religion"? If you want to kill each other beat each other with sticks yell at each other disrespect each other debate about religion, make a new thread.

There IS a way to make these sort of debates not fail, and that is to not degrade anyone else's viewpoint. I'm honestly surprised most forums don't place restrictions on that sort of thing. Just closing the thread isn't the answer. People must change their attitudes.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
I'm still going with the "What is 'proof of Christianity'?" question, since that isn't the same as "proof that Christian beliefs are true".
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2008, 03:57:06 PM »
Well, is there any evidence for athiesm? It seems that all athiests ever do to "prove" athiesm is to attack Christianity and religion.
Maybe it seems that way to you because you are taking a defensive Christian point of view.  Besides, it's almost impossible to prove a negative.  The burden here does not lie with atheists.  The burden is on the outrageous claims of religion. 

I never actually see athiests defending their beliefs - they are always on the attack.
I've often seen, heard, and read atheists defending there lack of belief and giving evidence for their views.  I don't like it when any side resorts to attacks.  It's counter productive and furthers the divide.  No matter which side you are on I think it's important to be skeptical and look at all the evidence. 

Lizard Dude: You're dumb and stupid and fat and you suck at life.
New signature anyone?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
It's silly to prove anything about religion, because religion is inherently irrational.  Religious practices are usually based on faith, not logic.

Next post: "Oh yeah?  Prove it!"
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »
You're dumb and stupid and fat and you suck at life.
every

« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
Well, is there any evidence for athiesm? It seems that all athiests ever do to "prove" athiesm is to attack Christianity and religion. I never actually see athiests defending their beliefs - they are always on the attack.

SIGH.

Top  Reasons:

1. This rock is 4 million years old. The Bible says the world is some 10000 years old.
2. Many of the things in the bible are scientifically impossible
3. There is no proof of a god except a old book.
4. Ancient People were always trying to explain things with Religion, and we are now proving them wrong.
5. Christianity has constantly changed. It used to be popular that if you were a good christian, you would burn innocent woman at a stake, because they were WITCHEZ!

If anyone says (Seriously) that the Athiests have no reasons, I will simply post this again.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »
To play Devil's Advocate here (yes, intentional-ish irony):

1. This rock is 4 million years old. The Bible says the world is some 10000 years old.

We're at the point where all rational people know the real age the Earth, even many Christians, although this point's validity remains. However, the bible does not actually say the Earth is 10,000 years old; if I recall, it gives no year-specific age.

True, but if you or I or anyone expects anyone else to take that point seriously, don't just SAY it. I could say there's no proof the sky is blue; that doesn't make it true, because, well, there is proof. In other words, point out that, say, there's no fossil records of giants, and there is no scientifically verifiable way of proving the existance of any afterlife.

4. Ancient People were always trying to explain things with Religion, and we are now proving them wrong.

Actually, a pretty valid point. Specificism (not a word, is it?) would help, though.

5. Christianity has constantly changed. It used to be popular that if you were a good christian, you would burn innocent woman at a stake, because they were WITCHEZ!

Again, true, but presented in a pretty tactless way.

I'm sorry if I sound like an English teacher here, but the point I'm trying to make is that if anyone's to try making any point here, please do so in a well thought-out manner. Screaming your beliefs in list form does not a good argument make. Zarkanthesmasher's right; almost all Atheists I see act in a condescending and insulting manner when presenting their views, and it disappoints me.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2008, 06:56:33 PM »
If there were an omnipotent being who created the universe, is it conceivable that he could do things that seem to contradict our understandings of the rules he created?

If so, this point is meaningless.

What is your basis for believing that science is the only guarantor of truth? How could that belief be falsified? It can't be, because any report of supernatural occurrences would be immediately written off as unscientific, and therefore false. Even if you personally witnessed a supernatural event, it would not be testable by scientific means, and therefore it wouldn't be real. But if your belief can't be falsified, it's not science, it's faith. In order to hold up your naturalistic worldview, everything must come down to your original assumption of naturalism.

When you say the Bible is unscientific, all you're saying is "Christians and non-Christians believe different things." You can't prove that the non-Christian way is superior.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2008, 06:59:02 PM »
Okay, now take a shot at the other 4 points, if you feel like your on a roll.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2008, 09:04:10 PM »
Uh, the Earth is about 4.54 billion years old, not 4 million. Also, I think the number crazy people throw around is more like 6000.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »
Some people's interpretation of scientific data conflicts with some people's extrapolations of Biblical data. That doesn't mean the Bible itself, which does not put a date on creation, is wrong.
- Old books are used in a surprising number of academic disciplines.
- Take Philosophy 101. There are arguments, even if you don't find them convincing. If you don't have that time, watch these.
Scientists used to believe the sun rotated around the earth. Now we know it doesn't. Therefore, science is wrong.
Atheists have killed lots of people, but that doesn't mean atheism isn't true.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2008, 07:07:11 AM »
Scientists used to believe the sun rotated around the earth. Now we know it doesn't. Therefore, science is wrong.
The primary reason they believed that is because that's what it said in the Bible. Science would be so far ahead right now without religion.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print