Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 129580 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
PaperLuigi, I'd like to shake your hand. That being said, I thought yesterday about the idea of someone going back in time and creating the universe or something like that. So much for the originality of that idea...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
My only beef with CrossEyed's line of reasoning is that it's so one-sided. (Before you make a comeback to this, I understand that that is of course the point of having such a line of reasoning.) How do you ignore all the other religions out there which are also 100% convinced of their own correctness? A logical mind cannot rationally accept one belief system as "correct" since it is only as subjectively right as all others are.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »
A logical mind knows that the most fundamental law of logic is the law of non-contradiction: something cannot be both true and not true. A logical mind furthermore would not reject all religions simply because they contradict each other. If I tell you that my mother is 50 years old and my brother tells you that my mother is 35 years old, would it be logical to conclude that I don't have a mother, or that if I do, she was born in both 1959 and in 1974? Or would you believe that she was indeed born at one specific time, whether or not you'll ever know what that time was? When people disagree, don't just throw everything out; examine their claims and determine as best as you can which, if either, is right. And finally, a logical mind would recognize that it is rationally impossible not to accept one belief system as correct and reject all others. Even if your belief system doesn't include any gods and doesn't have any official authorities and doesn't fit your or the dictionary's definition of "religion," it's still a belief system; it still answers the big meaning of life questions.

I don't ignore the other religions, I just don't think they're true. And to paraphrase a former president, I believe my beliefs are right. That is, my belief system of Christianity is framed by a belief that absolute reality exists. I believe that if God does exist, he would exist whether or not I believed in him, and furthermore, he would also exist for other people, whether they believe in him or not. I believe that there is objective, universal, logically consistent truth out there, and that it can probably be at least partially discovered, deduced, and understood (and that it's important enough that we should try as hard as we can to know it). Based on that, I, and most other people, examine belief systems and evaluate how likely it is that they are true.

Hope that made sense, considering it's way past my bedtime again.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2009, 01:08:42 AM »
Your first sentence makes my point for me again, and after that I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Also, I don't hold any religion to be correct, which does not mean that my views don't coincide with those of religions here and there.
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
If I tell you that my mother is 50 years old and my brother tells you that my mother is 35 years old, would it be logical to conclude that I don't have a mother, or that if I do, she was born in both 1959 and in 1974? Or would you believe that she was indeed born at one specific time, whether or not you'll ever know what that time was?
I see what you did there.

EDIT: Either CrossEyed is very clever, or he doesn't know how to make accurate analogies
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:18:36 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
Your first sentence makes my point for me again, and after that I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Also, I don't hold any religion to be correct, which does not mean that my views don't coincide with those of religions here and there.

Care to elaborate?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »
I've just finished reading this entire thread in one sitting. Mind = blown.

Anyways, I'm a Christian, technically of the Reformed variety, although denominationalism is something I'd rather not ascribe to.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2009, 07:58:13 PM »
What exactly blew your mind about a religion thread?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
For one, some of the argu-rants and analogies presented here are so unfathomably confusing that each successive reading only deepens their perplexity. Case in point: MushroomJunkie/Boo Dudley/Shyguy92's Ménage à trois of loaded opinions.

« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »
All matter bends towards decay.  Is it possible for a house to evolve?  Once you build a house will it get
stronger or weaker as time goes on?  Does a peach get riper and riper or does it eventually rot?  Do humans die or
do they just get stronger and stronger over many years.

It's like poetry, man.

« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
I'm Jewish and I'm proud!
Numions

foxmccloudfan

• Guess who's banned!!!
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
Judaism rox like fox
Guess who's back!!!

« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »
Creating multiple accounts just to have someone always agreeing with you breaks at least three Commandments.

foxmccloudfan

• Guess who's banned!!!
« Reply #238 on: January 06, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
I dont have multiple accounts, i just have friends, and the only commandment i've broken is the 14th
Guess who's back!!!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
It's true... unbelievably, these are not the same person.
That was a joke.

Print