Print

Author Topic: What would the next big Mario game be like?  (Read 34111 times)

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »
I actually liked Trainman's description for the next Mario game.
And at E3 they also announced that there will be a new Mario game for Wii
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 01:54:47 AM »
Dude, continuity and Mario don't mix.
Yes they do.  I personally liked how Peach's castle was re-used for later games, because why on earth would it change?  Remember how cool it was that you could drive from Royal Raceway in Mario Kart 64 over to the very same castle grounds from Super Mario 64?

And there's no reason they couldn't reference previous game events, then say "BUT BOWSER HAS A NEW PLAN."
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 07:57:51 AM »

You act as if there aren't recurring themes and characters and such already.

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »

Technically, yes. However, I think Trainman's thinking more along the lines of "a mario sidescroller with references to a ton of previous mario games." That way, we can have some general continuity without having to make a super-complex timeline of mario events.

Some more ideas along that line would could be: a jungle level set on an island like Cortez's in Paper Mario TTYD. On the beach you could see Rogueport in the far distance, and as you went through the level you'd find the jungle with Putrid Piranhas, the famous rope bridge puzzle, the entrance to the pirate fort, and the pirate fort itself. You could also have a level set on the Isle Delfino, with Delfino Square as a background, Pianta park in the far distance, and Mount Corona looming over part of the level. The ideas are endless!

I think a cool thing to do would be for Nintendo to make a giant mario sidescroller for the Wii that takes elements from the 3-D games and RPGs. You'd have the Mushroom Kingdom as a hub, where you'd set off to all the other worlds - unlocking worlds as you beat bosses and saved villages. In each world there would be a village with a shop, inn, and other buildings. The health system would be a combination of the regular sidescroller system and the healthbar of Super Mario Galaxy. You'd start off full size, but if you lost two points you'd turn into small mario, who isn't as strong as regular mario.

There would be a TON of different powerups and items - including ones from Super Mario Galaxy and NSMB - but only a few standard ones that appeared in every world. Most would only appear in one or two worlds - ie. the frog suit would only appear in the water world, the Boo suit would only appear in Ghost Houses, and so on. Mario would start off with his jump move, but as he earned coins he would be able to buy new moves like the wall jump, ground pound, spin, and high jump. There would be a lot more worlds than in regular mario sidescrollers - I'm thinking at least 12 or 13 - and each would have a large world map with secrets and alternate paths. Oh, and the difficulty would start out easy, but get really hard by the end - instead of always staying around the same level like NSMB.

If Nintendo did a game like that, I would cry tears of happiness. :)
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
So would I, as long as they added a more epic plot that doesn't involve saving Peach.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
It was good until the whole "Only use a certain suit in one or two levels" part.  I would much rather have universally practical suits/powerups that make the game easier or are necessary for finding all the secrets than just progressing through the main level...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
It was good until the whole "Only use a certain suit in one or two levels" part.  I would much rather have universally practical suits/powerups that make the game easier or are necessary for finding all the secrets than just progressing through the main level...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have a point. However, I personally would like a combination of both universally practical suits (like the hammer suit) and suits that only help in certain places (like the frog suit and Boo suit). I mean, even a powerup like the Mega Mushroom isn't useful in absolutely every level - on Stage 1-1 of NSMB it's wonderful, but on stage 1-2 it isn't nearly as much of a help because of the cramped conditions. I think there's a balance - because if every powerup always saved you from death, the games would be too easy. ;)
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »
I don't know about an RPG-type element would fit with it. It'd remind me of Super Paper Mario too much.... and of how much I haven't liked SPM.

Anyway, I think Chupperson just missed the part where I said sense of continuity with the SERIES, not the story-line.
Formerly quite reasonable.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 05:28:56 AM »
Powerups are not powerups anymore. They used to only be for powering you up. Fireballs were Mario's weapon that existed only to help him kill enemies. In Super Mario Bros. 3, powerups are never* required to get the job done. It just makes getting the job done easier. Nowadays they've become more like weapons in Zelda and exist mainly to get you past an obstacle. But then they're timed. Imagine if Mario could keep all the powerups as Link does his weapons... Fiery Bee Boo Flying Mario, please!

*Not counting bonus areas you can only fly to, and wasn't there one level in World 6 that required flight... I forgot... but if there was I think it was on a branched path so you could avoid that...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2008, 07:38:20 AM »
Trainman's ideas are pretty good. On the concept of so much stuff in every level... that would be hard to do, but Nintendo could probably pull it off.

Continuity in Mario games, its semi-continuous. Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, Peach, etc. show up in most games (not counting Yoshi.).

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
They could do it easily. For the next platformer, they need to pull out all the stops and stop worrying about the "poor, old casual gamer" aspect of the game and focus on how to make it awesome, not on how to make it appeal to 5 year olds in kindergarten or old people who never play games.

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
Who says 5 year olds can't play games? When I was 3 I could beat Star Fox 64 and had 107 stars in Super Mario 64,
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
I didn't mean that in a strict literal sense.

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
The Map System in Super Mario World was pure genius. The Super Mario Bros. 3 map felt boring, and the New Super Mario Bros map felt robotic. They MUST revisit the map system.

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
The Map System in Super Mario World was pure genius. The Super Mario Bros. 3 map felt boring, and the New Super Mario Bros map felt robotic. They MUST revisit the map system.

QFT. The NSMB world map was extremely linear.

If they made a new Mario game that was a SM64 rehash with completely different star goals, new worlds (possibly replacing some of the old ones, to reduce making it too much like SM64 DS) some other gimmick(s) and SMG graphics, I would totally buy it.

Print