Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 477756 times)

« Reply #1485 on: February 09, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
I was wondering why making Mario through the levels make sense in the context of the story.

This is obviously where Mario is searching next for the answers that he needs. It's like in Super Mario World, why didn't Mario just swim out to the middle of the ocean to trigger the opening to the Valley of Bowser? He didn't know until that point where the Princess was.

It's also like trying to skip sections in other games (like Zelda, or an RPG) before doing actions before-hand: Yes, we know Link needs to visit the Great Deku Tree, but he won't know until he talks to Mido what to do (ie: get a sword, get a shield!)

That and if there were no levels, there would be no game. How much fun would it be just to make Mario run around the observatory and being launched directly to the Stars?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1486 on: February 09, 2008, 07:27:23 PM »
It's the 100th page of the topic, and you celebrate by using the tired old "it's a game" excuse right after a perfectly good idea. :P

Here's something to talk about: how do those floating ? boxes work? Who put the items in them? And why do they look so solid even though there doesn't appear to be any opening for the item to come out? How hard are they to punch?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1487 on: February 09, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
Bowser put the items in them because they're really Toads.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #1488 on: February 09, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
I noticed the third and fourth players on the SMA versions of Mario Bros.  I know they're just recolors to portray players three and four, but in Mariology, has anyone ever wondered who those two guys are?  I noticed that the blue one looks kind of like Luigi from the anime movie, but with the shirt and overalls colors swapped
repost
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1489 on: February 09, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »
If the Comet Observatory can be used to rocket Mario to Levels, then why don't they just rocket him to specific points in the levels, like directly to the stars?
Well, first of all, who is "they"? Besides, it's not like the... observatories, or Lumas, or whatever know where the stars are. They just shoot you into the galaxy and hope you can figure it out yourself, I guess.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1490 on: February 09, 2008, 09:35:49 PM »
Bowser put the items in them because they're really Toads.

Except that only seemed to apply to the first SMB. There's even a block research center in Mario & Luigi, but it still doesn't explain how the blocks work.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1491 on: February 09, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
^ I loved that place.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1492 on: February 10, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »
I noticed the third and fourth players on the SMA versions of Mario Bros.  I know they're just recolors to portray players three and four, but in Mariology, has anyone ever wondered who those two guys are?  I noticed that the blue one looks kind of like Luigi from the anime movie, but with the shirt and overalls colors swapped

The weird thing is that in beta shots, I'm pretty sure they had Wario and Waluigi's colors, so they apparently consciously decided against that. In the manual, they're all referred to as different colored Marios, but the green one is pretty clearly Luigi. Granted, they all have Ms on their hats on the results screen, but that could just be chalked up to anti-Luigi bias on Nintendo's part.

Anyway, I think the blue one is Stanley the Bugman.

He also resembles the second guy from the left on here:

Not sure who the yellow one is, though. Closest I've found so far is Joe from Mario Golf, and he doesn't even have a mustache.

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #1493 on: February 10, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #1494 on: February 22, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »
Since noone has anything to say roght now, I thought I'd say a few things on my mind.
- I think that Luigi is only 10 1/2 months younger than Mario
-However, when we see Baby Mario and Baby Bowser, Baby Mario is 1 nearing 2 and Baby Bowser is probably 4, as that would explain why he's able to speak the same for Bowser Jr.
- Mario's current age is around 36 years old and Luigi is 35.
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1495 on: February 22, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
What are you talking about? Luigi is barely any younger than Mario at all.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1496 on: February 22, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
Since noone has anything to say roght now, I thought I'd say a few things on my mind.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1497 on: February 22, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »
Luigi is exactly one game younger than Mario. He didn't crawl out of the Stork's bag until the ending of Yoshi's Island.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #1498 on: February 23, 2008, 06:57:35 AM »
Isn't Mario in his 40's or 50's? I mean, not by game, but his actual age.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1499 on: February 23, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »
As best as I recall, the closest we've ever come to an official word on Mario's age is some 90's NOA interviews that pinned him as "middle-aged." I do think I remember NOE giving an age for Waluigi at some point, but I can't remember what it was.

But just for fun...

Daisy was around 21 in the SMB movie (the titles place her being dropped off at St. Teresa's 20 years before the movie, and she looked to be around 1 at the time), and was Luigi's love interest. According to XKCD's Standard Creepiness Rule (http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/dating_pools.png), that means Luigi must have been between the ages of 17.5 and 28 at the time. Assuming that Mario and Luigi are twins, as per Yoshi's Island, they obviously must be the same age. For Mario to look like Bob Hoskins did, their age must be toward the older end of the spectrum.

The SMB movie represents Mario and Luigi's first entrance to the Mushroom Kingdom. In current games, Mario and Luigi are very familiar with the kingdom and their reputation has become common knowledge virtually everywhere. They've probably been there for at least ten years, putting them around 35 - 40 right now. If the SMB movie were canon, that is. Of course, if it were, Bowser would be dead... though it's possible that Daisy's "You're not going to believe this" could have referred to Bowser somehow being revived in his current form, if they had ever gotten around to coming up with ideas for a sequel. But the movie's still not canon.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print