Print

Author Topic: Associating  (Read 2850 times)

« on: September 09, 2005, 10:43:43 PM »
One time, while I was playing Paper Mario: TTYD, the toilet in my bathroom flooded and the whole hallway smelled terribly. So, whenever I play Paper Mario, I associate it with bad smelling carpet. Ever have something happen to you while playing a specific game, or watching a T.V show? And then, when you play this game or watch this show you associate it with that situation?

EDIT: Please don't hurt me if this has been done before.

I have the body of a God! Unfortunately, it''s Buddah.

Edited by - PaperLuigi on 9/9/2005 9:44:36 PM
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:03:16 PM »
Nah, not really.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 11:07:08 PM »
I played a particular level in Beetle Adventure Racing with a friend that I hadn't played before. Immediately after that, he and I went to a school dance (not together, of course, so please don't make a dumb joke). I was in eighth grade, and it was my first dance, so afterward that level in Beetle Adventure Racing always reminded me of the dance.

There was a time during a summer vacation one year when I was borrowing BattleTanx Global Assault from the same friend. For many mornings in a row I would play that game and eat a Schwan's Breakfast Pouch (similar to a breakfast-style Hot Pocket). Then for a long time afterward playing that game reminded me of the food. Maybe it still would.

GoldenEye 007 reminds of this friend himself because I played it with him a lot, and he was really, really good.

"Dang, TEM lives in a low-quality area." ~ Lizard Dude
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 11:14:39 PM »
When I got Sonic 3 & Knuckles for PC, the only place I could play it was at the college where my dad worked. Everytime we drove there, we took an old blue Mazda car that we used to own and it had a distinct smell inside it. That smell (even though I haven't seen the car in many years), instantly makes me think of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (PC), or maybe Jedi Knight.

Good thread!

I bte yuo cna rdae tihs by lkooign at it.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 12:57:13 AM »
SPOT ON! I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think associations play a HUGE role in my perceptions of videogames.  For example, I think my perceptions of videogames I get for Christmas are always skewed favorably, because I associate the games with all of the other great things that come with Christmas (candy, cookies, vacations with family, etc.).  I've notices that the strongest associations usually have to do with food.  I associate Metroid Prime with chocolate milk, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door with jely bellies, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with Odwalla bars, and Puyo Pop with Amy's teriaki rice bowls, among other things.

Edit - More food associations: I associate Super Mario World with Goldfish crackers, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with Piña Colada falvored candy canes.

Edited by - Hirocon on 9/10/2005 12:04:52 AM

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 09:24:43 AM »
I associate Goldeneye with good times. Whenever I play or am strongly reminded of it I remember having long hours of fun with friends and am happy. Not exactly a distinct association but I believe the connection is there.

Now when I think of a Legend of Zelda game(OoT, WW, and MM in particular) I almost always start whistling or drumming a LoZ tune. I don't necessarily play music from a specific game, just a random collage of the series' music.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:59:07 AM »
Good thread, indeed.

Yes, I have a few of these:

Wario's Woods is, to me, associated with Good Humor Cookies and Cream bars.

Tetris Attack is associated with Mountain Dew because of the game, I spilled a can of Mountain Dew on the cartridge and the next time I put in the cartridge, I got a "WARNING: Copying games is illegal" message. Heh.

Super Mario 64 I associate with this odd smell in one of my old friend's house (which I think was one of their dogs). I used to go there and get a lot of stars for them.

I have others, and I forgot them, though.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 01:02:05 PM »
I associate Diddy Kong Racing with Chicken in a Bisquit.

I bte yuo cna rdae tihs by lkooign at it.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 01:07:07 PM »
In Mario Kart 64, everytime to play through a cup, there's the ending with the pink sunset sky.  At my old house, every Thursday morning, I had to go utside early and put the trash cans on the curb.  My house faced the east, so the sun would just be rising across from us.  I remember the sky would be that same pink color and sometimes I'd imagine Mario and Peach shaped in the clouds.  So everytime I played MK64, I'd think of Thursday sunrises.

Super Mario Sunshine makes me think of Christmas, because I got it for Christmas with my Gamecube and beat in by late January.  It's pretty nice to play a summer game in winter.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 03:04:10 PM »
I just remembered that cold, winter days remind me of the Mario Party games for the Gamecube. It's because the day I purchased Mario Party 4, it was cold and rainy outside. Sometimes video games can spark a good old memory back to life, huh?

I have the body of a God! Unfortunately, it''s Buddah.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 04:16:36 PM »
One time when I was in the Shy Guy's Toybox in Paper Mario, we had fish sticks for dinner. So whenever I play that level, I always think of fish sticks.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 04:18:05 PM »
Shadows of the Empire reminds me of Christmas time at my friends house.

Goldeneye reminds me of the winter in my other firends house, when we played Goldenye by hiding cap guns in the snow.

DKR reminds me of Christmas at my House when I was younger (It was my first N64 Game and I got it that christmas.)

SMB Reminds me of my Grandmother's house.

SBM3 Reminds me of a old friend of mine. She was simply put: the best player of SMB3 I have ever seen. She was just totally amazing  at it.

Johnny thought he was a chemist, but dosen''t any more,
What he thought was H2O was H2SO4!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 03:39:19 PM »
I always associate playing SMB3 with being at my aunt's house and being surrounded by really good friends that she babysat, thats basically where I fell in love with the game.

But burning in my heart, the memory smoulders on, of the gunner''s dying words on the intercom...~ Roger
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 07:10:05 PM »
sm64 & mk64 remind me of my friend lindsay's house.
pokemon games remind me of fish sticks.
rayman games remind me of good times.
mario party games remind me of the changing of the seasons.
mk:dd reminds me of traveling.
space jam reminds me of the ymca.
crash bandicoot games remind me of family vacations.
sonic games remind me of sleepover parties.
yoshi's island reminds me of fun stuff to do in orlando.
bee 52 reminds me of playing outside at night.
freddy kreuger reminds me of watching scary movies on halloween night, when i was a kid.
smb3 all-stars version reminds me of family jokes, and eating that special oatmeal with gummy bears in it. i wish they never stopped making that oatmeal, cuz it was AWESOME!

ducky go down de hole!
ducky go down de hole!

Print