Print

Author Topic: "I hate that singing tape."  (Read 7932 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:39:15 PM »
Christmas of 1995 was rather lackluster for me. I blame this on my list of gifts sent to Santa, the only thing I put on it was "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island." Well, I got it but nothing else from jolly old St. Nick, but I did get other scattered gifts from family and friends.

So for the rest of 1995 and the beginning of 1996, I spent a lot of time on Yoshi's Island. Because of this, I was constantly plagued by one of the most annoying things in any game; the obnoxious wailing Baby Mario would make when Yoshi lost him.

At the time my bedroom was right next to my grandparents, so my grandmum would often walk past my bedroom, thus she would hear it plenty of times. One time she walked past my room as I was playing and said "I hate that singing tape." Confused, I ask her "What singing tape?" She answers "HEY?! HEY?! HEY?!"

Regardless, Yoshi's Island was a good game, but it was plagued by graphics that NEED to stay where it is. You have no idea how tired I am of seeing Yoshi's Island graphics in SMW hacks, but I digress.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »
Is this another pseudo-fan-fiction or is this a game review?

I honestly can't tell.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »
Its not a psuedo-fan fic, but more like a commentary.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:01:43 PM »
Criticizing one of the best looking, most visually captivating games on SNES for its graphics is not very cool.
That was a joke.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:24:40 AM »
Criticizing one of the best looking, most visually captivating games on SNES for its graphics is not very cool.

Did I bring up Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country or Final Fantasy VI (III)? I don't think so.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 07:37:58 AM »
I love that from anyone else, this topic would've been one big troll attempt.  With Tv_Themes, it's just his honest opinion digging his reputation's own grave.

But seriously, aside from the annoying Baby Mario wailing, Yoshi's Island is a great game, especially considering the graphics.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:50:43 AM »
I don't interpret what he says at the end there as a knock at YI's graphics, but rather a statement that they're so distinct that they really clash with other graphical styles--which is true (and though I don't play many Mario fan games, I'd have to agree that the use of Yoshi's Island sprites in the ones I did play stuck out terribly).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »
Come on people, I'm only posting my experiences with the game. If I didn't like the graphics, then I didn't like it, but that doesn't stop me from hating everything else. I recently dug out the ending credits and it was so heartwarming.

I still have never played Yoshi's Island DS for some reason... did the game perform poorly in sales? Seems it fell into obscurity.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »
It wasn't very good.
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »
Do you just have a problem with everything good?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »
I thought Yoshi's Island DS was good, just not very good.  I think some of the reason people say YI DS wasn't good was because YI SNES was so very good, and some people may also be prejudiced based on who made the game. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
I just got really tired of it about midway through world 3. Nothing against Artoon on my part at least.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »
I can only imagine the tone and the face as she said "HEY! HEY! HEY!" I think many of us agree that sound was really annoying, probably a low point for the game. Nintendo Power also said something about it. I wish I could remember what it was, but I think it was "Baby Mario's wailing is the most annoying sound in the universe." I think one interview said the sound was intentionally made that annoying so you'd want to catch Baby Mario sooner. I think it was supposed to set off some primal or motherly instinct, but no, we really wanted to get Mario to stop that whining. Or we'd let him get caught by the Toadies ("I'm not gonna lie, I'll not be a gentleman"... *cough*) and let the whining become their problem.

Reminds me when Perfect Dark was going through another delay (argh, Rare...) and the PDark forums theorized the reason for the delay wasn't to make the game more polished, it was to make Grimshaw's voice more annoying.

Great idea to refer to it as a singing tape. Can't wait to hear a remix where someone mixes Mario's whine in with some other song and doesn't make it annoying.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »
Yoshi's Island DS was irrationally difficult in most places, the music was very crude and limited, there were somehow less non-bonus levels than the original, and the graphics were... well, they just weren't quite like the original. It wasn't a worthy successor (and I think they knew it--hence the name change from "Yoshi's Island 2"), but I've played worse.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »
Do you just have a problem with everything good?

BTW I was referring to Tv_Themes, not Chupperson.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
I still think the name was changed because Yoshi's Story was kind of technically Yoshi's Island 2, but if they called it Yoshi's Island 3, they'd confuse most people and **** off the few that got that they were acknowledging Yoshi's Story (I actually liked YS, though). The only thing I didn't like about it was the baby-switching. Same thing as SM64DS; throwing in arbitrary obstacles and gimmicks just to force you to switch between characters. If each level was just one baby (and most of them were Mario), it would have been good. Also Luigi should have been playable.

Well, carryable, actually. You're really playing as the Yoshis, not the babies.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
YIDS's graphics seem to have sacrificed its predecessor's squiggly, hand-drawn charm for clarity, which we can all agree sucks.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
I liked the two-screen levels (and the ability to shift the top and bottom screens, even if it usually resulted in one screen being nothing but sky or dirt), though, and I can't recall "the gap" actually causing me much strife.

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 06:33:04 PM »
I thought Yoshi's Island DS was good, just not very good.  I think some of the reason people say YI DS wasn't good was because YI SNES was so very good, and some people may also be prejudiced based on who made the game. 

I agree, but in all honesty, Yoshi's Island DS is probably one of the best semi-sequels to a game that a third party developer ever made. Seriously. It may not be THE YS2, but it can definitely pass itself off. It's pretty hardcore. Though, it is difficult (in a good way, seriously, there aren't many difficult games). I never did manage to beat the last level, but it is a great, well-made game. If you haven't played the first, you should play it.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
I actually wrote a review for YIDS on my LiveJournal at one point. I may have to dig that up.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 01:23:19 AM »
This thread reminds me of something my mom said when MarioKart 64 first came out.

She picked me up from school the day after we got the Nintendo 64 and told me that she had been playing MarioKart 64 all day (no surprise since my mom has always been a video gamer, going all the way back to pong). When I asked how she did, she said she did fine but lost one of the races to "some guy who says 'ribbit' whenever he passes you".

To this day my mom still calls Donkey Kong "the ribbit guy" whenever she plays MarioKart 64 despite knowing now that it's Donkey Kong (which I guess she couldn't tell from behind him in MK64--I'm pretty sure she knew who DK was long before the N64 thanks to the arcade game).

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »
I completely forgot that Yoshi's Island DS existed, and furthermore that I owned it. Thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna start playing again for sure.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Print