Print

Author Topic: Lost Data  (Read 3180 times)

« on: February 12, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »
Last week someone broke into my house and stole some valuables, including my Wii.  Thankfully, I have my game data backed up on an SD card, except for games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Animal Crossing: City Folk (those games cannot be copied into an SD card).  I find this very frustrating since I earned every trophy in Brawl and Kart and don't know if I have the energy to revisit all that frustration to get them back...and my Animal Crossing town is irreplacable.  So I want to prevent anything like this from happening again and was wondering if anyone knew of any sort of way to somehow back up data from these games.
By the way, I think these games cannot be backed up because they have Wi-Fi multiplayer.  I'm just curious if non-Nintendo systems maintain this rigid policy.  Would it really be that hard to back up the single-player data separate from the Wi-Fi data?

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »
There is some homebrew available that's supposed to take care of those saves, but as I do not own any of those games, I cannot say for sure.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
I was under the impression that you could copy the save files to an SD card, and copy them to a computer or whatever for safekeeping. I don't know if WFC affects this or not.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »
I do not own any of those games
If you own a Wii but not Brawl...

...you might be a granny.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:19:26 AM »
Yeah, you can't normally copy the data for Brawl from the console. Homebrew lets you do it--I did it just in case I have some sort of hack mishap. I haven't, though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 01:26:40 AM »
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that, Fawful Fan. I always have this voice telling me to "save your games to an SD card" just in case of a robbery.
Anyway, I hope you and your family recover the things that were stolen. I hate crooks.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »
This also makes me wonder what Nintendo plans for their next console.  Looking at past trends, I assume it would be backwards compatible with Wii games.  So would playing games like Brawl or Kart on the new system require you to start from scratch?  At least the DS allows you to transfer your data from one handheld to another.  I wonder if Nintendo would implement a similar feature to transfer data to the Wii successor.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »
I'd assume they'd just make the new console compatible with SD cards and Wii saves, just like they made the Wii compatible with memory cards and Gamecube saves.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »
I'm sure they could put out a firmware update that would let you copy them over. But they'd probably only release it with a download code when you bought the next console.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »
I'm sorry. A few years ago, I had a dream that...someone stole my Gamecube. BUT, I took the memory cards out, and nothing was lost. I kind of (try to) apply that rule to my life by backing up everything. BUT, with the Wii it's just plain unfair.

Print