Print

Author Topic: Is there a musician in the house?  (Read 39410 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2007, 09:47:24 PM »
I played the piano and violin in high school, but college squeezed the musicianship out of me. Too expensive, too much time necessary.

You can see me do an impression of a "The Robot" while conducting a somewhat sad high school orchestra on Youtube, though.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 11:54:34 PM »
Expensive? o_o I guess if you don't already own an instrument or something...
That was a joke.

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 01:19:40 AM »
A rental French horn was $500 for me. -_-

Purchasing one would be in the quadruple digits, so yeah, very expensive if you don't own your own instrument.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 01:26:04 AM »
Not only that, but by increasing the amount of time before I graduate (though adding classes and offsetting others), I pay more tuition.

I'm sure my dad would have let me use his violin, which I used in high school.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:29:27 AM by Suffix »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 01:47:41 AM »
I know people who paid $3000 (or more) for their violins, but once you have one, you have one...
As for lessons/classes?, that wasn't really what I was thinking as far as "expense". I mean you don't have to be formally studying an instrument to play it.
Last night I had a dream I was playing a trombone for some reason. It was weird.
That was a joke.

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 07:16:58 AM »
I'm working on the Maple Leaf Rag, Almost halfway through the original version.

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 02:07:05 AM »
but college squeezed the musicianship out of me
Me too! But Guitar Hero and Rock Band brought it back (the feeling).

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 10:15:26 AM »
Me too! But Guitar Hero and Rock Band brought it back (the feeling).

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 06:52:46 PM »
That commercial with the fox always makes me lol.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 11:13:07 PM »
I've done piano on and off with lessons/no lessons for a long time. Of course, lessons were a burden, so I quit. Granted, I can plunk out a tune, but not with much finesse (that's reserved for my brother) Currently, I don't play any instrument habitually, but I did do trombone in 5th grade (I wanted drums because it seemed easier, but my uncle already owned a trombone and I think my parents just wanted to save a buck. Behold, weeks of embarassment having virtually no clue how to play an instrument in a class/school full of people who already hated me anyway).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Jman

• Score
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 01:02:22 AM »
Did they release Piano Hero and not tell anybody?
--
I have had varying levels of experience with piano, recorder, harmonica, flute, clarinet, and guitar.  I'm trying to get back into piano and guitar (and possibly bass), but haven't time recently.  I haven't really played since elementary (middle) school, though I've done a bit with MIDI since then.

It's only a matter of time before they do release a Piano Hero game.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 02:29:07 AM »
Well, Keyboardmania has been around forever. Kind of like Guitar Freaks was around forever before Guitar Hero. It's just that people actually, ya know, buy the Harmonix versions (also they are 8000x better).

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 09:27:01 AM »
Weird.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »
I can play the Triangle...
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
I play a lot of musical instruments. Clarinet, Sax, Guitar (and of the Bass vareity as well), Piano, and I've just recently started teaching myself the Djembe.

I also write music for fun. I take informal lessons with a composition instructor who is more my friend than teacher. Although I have had not formal music schooling, other than band and the easy theory classes they offered, I think I'm a halfway decent composer.

http://koopaslaya.googlepages.com/Track01.MP3

There is a very rough song that I have yet to finish. It moves from one movement to the other far to quickly, and the movements do not quite build up as well as they could. The best (most complete) part is at 2:38. I have had not time to work on it since school started.

http://koopaslaya.googlepages.com/ConcerningGrapefruit.mid

This is my most recent musical composition, which I have not even recorded into MP3 format yet. This is also rough. It is about eating a Grapefruit and the difficulties and pleasures therein. The first movement is one of pain and struggle as out main character prepares his grapefruit, cuts his finger, and squirts citric acid in his face. In the second movement, the main character consumes the flesh of the grapefruit in joy and peace. Soon, however, he realizes that there is no more Grapefruit to enjoy. This song is filled with plenty of filler, as I need to work on the main Oboe line a lot.

I hope you all enjoy these two examples of musical fun.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print