Print

Author Topic: A Problem  (Read 38947 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
I was simply wondering whether he would advocate jailing those who spoke out against sodomy.  As Chup said, he doesn't agree with jailing people for their opinions under any circumstances (neither do I, for the record), so my fears of his being a hypocrite were apparently unfounded. 

There are people that think that the jailing I used as an example is a good thing, but jailing people who criticized Christianity was a bad thing.  

Anyway...

I haven't heard anything else about it, but assuming my faith in people isn't entirely misplaced, the thing won't fly.  The cynic in me thinks that it will actually be considered, and that's what scares me.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »
It was passed. I don't know whether to fall into complete despair or not. Apparently no news organizations feel it's important. Maybe this is the first step towards North America leaving/opposing the UN...?

Best case scenario: Some Islamic countries become less free.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:56:04 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 07:25:02 PM »
The cynic in me has been awakened fully.  It tells me the best case scenario isn't likely.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »
So...let me get this straight. Just clearin' the deck here and gettin' some facts straight.

It is an actual crime

to publicly speak out

against any religion

or else you'll go to jail.
every

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »
Yes.

Religion sucks and it must die.

Come and get me, UN.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 05:57:57 PM »
I'm not sure how they plan to enforce this.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »
From what I've heard, basically, it means you can't go and publish a pamphlet or movie or book or action figure that criticizes religion (whether a specific one or the concept in general, I'm not sure). But now that I've had time to cool down, I realize that, as nonsensical and freedom-restricting as it is, I'm guessing the government isn't about to spend a kajillion dollars on a Combine Overwatch to stomp out everyone who opposes religion.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
"Religion is the opiate of the masses."

That's all I've got to say.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »
Religion isn't the opium of the masses. It's the placebo.

Props to anyone who knows who said that.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 10:29:42 PM »
Can fictional characters actually say things?
That was a joke.

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »
Haha, I guess not.

For the record, I am religious, but I'd be lying if I said I read the Bible literally. I also realize that religion as a whole has a habit of turning people into hateful lemmings. The Westboro Baptist Church is something I never want to be.

And yet...I am a hypocrite when I say that, because I am intolerant of their intolerance.

EDIT: Luigison has the quote in his sig. Shows how observant I am.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:18:45 PM by PaperLuigi »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
I'm reasonably certain that the WBC is just a group of IRL trolls who don't actually believe in what they're saying.
every

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2009, 02:27:49 PM »
I don't know. They certainly sound like they believe what they say.

Fox News invited Shirley Phelps (a prime member of the WBC) in for an interview. This ultimately resulted in a huge religious argument, with each side [darn]ing the other to hell. I half suspect Fox News believed they were doing something right when, in reality, they were doing the exact same thing the WBC does.

Like a lot of other things, religion can be used as a vehicle of hate. What's going on today isn't much different from what happened in the past with the Puritans and Crusaders. Thankfully, the law/democracy prevents any theocrat (like Fred Phelps) from imposing his/her will on others.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. "

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:41:59 PM by PaperLuigi »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »
The thing is, if the UN (or whatever lesser stooges will be imposing this) actually starts cracking down on spiritual dissent, they're going to have to pull some Gestapo/Dick Cheney stuff to explain all those arrests and/or "disappearances".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »
I really, really hope it never comes to that. The fact that this bill was even considered is a complete atrocity.

Print