Print

Author Topic: What would the next big Mario game be like?  (Read 34136 times)

« on: July 06, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »
Read title.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:14:43 PM »
O.K. heres what I think:
Bowser will capture the princess again and mario will travel through universes.

Now post some of your ideas on how you think the next mario game will turn out.

"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:14:42 PM »
Well, Mario had FLUDD in Super Mario Sunshine, and Mario went to different galaxies in Super Mario Galaxy, so that proves there's no frickin' way I can begin to predict what the gimmick in the next Mario game will be. Maybe he'll gain the ability to rewind time and command an army of Yoshies to attack Bowser's castle. An RTS made simple Mario-style. Mario style can make any boring sport or gamestyle fun.

But what's for certain is that Bowser will return somehow, Bowser will either kidnap the Princess or Princess will stand around and do nothing, and Mario will say the same darn cheerful things. I have to wonder if Martinet's getting tired going "Woo-hoo!" all the time. It's cute, but seeing this old guy go "Woo-hoo, you're number one!" while holding up his index finger is a little creepy.
Doesn't mean I don't want to hear an audio recording of when Martinet left a Mario message on some guy's answering machine. That would be awesome.

Or maybe - just maybe - Mario and Peach will team up in the next game. You use the unique powers of both. It'd be even better if it were a Lost Vikings sort of game with Bowser as the third player, but that's never going to happen.
You didn't say wot wot.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »
I think Martinet actually does a hell of a lot more in terms of recording lines, but the bigwigs insist on picking the exact same ones for every game, in addition to reusing old ones. They oughta give the man a better opportunity. He's one hell of a voice artist.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
If you recall that one interview (the one in which he says "Eeeeveryone cheating but me" as Waluigi), he seems to really love what he does.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:37:09 PM »
Wasn't there already a thread like this?

Well, it's hard to go beyond galaxies (and SPM has dimensions covered). I've figured, since SMG already regressed a little (good or bad, depending on your point of view), the next game will have SMG graphics (if it's on Wii 2, hopefully better ones as well) but take place in SMB1/2/3/Super Mario World style Mushroom Kingdom settings.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »
I seriously do think that marios next game will have something to do with time travel.  Bowser will kidnap peach and then send mario hurling back in time long ago and he will have to collect power stars so he can get enough energy to create a portal in time to the future.  He will then just keep travelling  until hes back in his time, and can resque peach!
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
You mean like Chrono Trigger? :p

I would love to see a more "serious" Mario game with a very dark and intricate story line. Some of the Mario RPGs have attempted at it, but I for one would love to see great character development and unexpected plot twists.  I guess it isn't in Mario's character to be in a game like that, but here's hoping...
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »
So far, the 3D titles can be analogized with the sidescrollers pretty closely. The first one has primitive graphics but good jump physics, the second one introduces a weird new mechanic and is the black sheep of the series, and the third one has lots of power ups and goes on a whirlwind tour of a big place -- the entire Mushroom Kingdom; the entire universe. If the analogy continues, we should expect the 3D Super Mario World, basically Galaxy 2, around 2011 (half the length of time between the previous games, like Super Mario World). It will probably be similar to Galaxy in graphics and controls, take away a few of the suits and add one or two more, and focus on a nominally smaller but much more fleshed-out location. There's a pretty good chance it will be set in the Mushroom Kingdom, since none of the other 3D games have actually been there yet, surprisingly, other than the Grand Finale Galaxy.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
Wow... you've got a good point there!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »
I was under the impression that Super Mario World was bigger than Super Mario Bros. 3, more refined, and did add the new mechanic of Yoshi. So rather, a 3D Super Mario World to me would be a further refinement, even bigger than Galaxy, be laid out like an actual world instead of portals everywhere (to keep SMW's world map idea)... and introduce a pteradactyl named Robbie.

Afterwards, freeze me in a block of ice and thaw me out once the new 3D version of SMW2: YI comes out. That one was so different from SMW, focused on a different character, and had a different artstyle.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »
I was thinking that since Mario has reached the final frontier (space), the only step forward is to go full circle and try for a retro vibe. We could make the game a side scroller, give it some old enemies, set it back in the Mushroom Kingdom and other retro stuff. The problem is, NSMB already did that. That's a bummer...

Perhaps the series could try for a whole new art style. Something like Wind Waker. I once saw a fan-made video showcasing a game called "Super Mario Universe" set in a funky, cel-shaded world. Something like that would give the francise new life.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
Crosseyed7, Super Mario 64 WAS in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:29:09 PM »
Most of the game took place in painting worlds, however.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 11:09:52 PM »
Well it technically still is in the mushroom kingdom the whole time.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Print