Print

Author Topic: Mario anime does exist!  (Read 8243 times)

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 05:23:42 PM »
You ma never know. Bumps might become acceptable around here one day. Nah!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 06:15:25 PM »
 It was a perfectly acceptable bump. I wasn't aware there were clips of the OAV out and about. After viewing those clips, I rather wish a fansub group would take the time to obtain a copy and translate it. Or even, just for a whole copy to be available.

Thank you very much for supplying the links, taipion. And I would request that user-moderation be stopped. If there's something going on that needs to be dealt with, the moderators and/or administrators will deal with it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 06:42:11 PM »
That looked a bit weird, although I wonder how well received it would be if it were dubbed for american release. Something similar happened with Sonic, why not Mario?

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 07:20:23 PM »
I wasn't saying it was a bad bump, I was just saying it was a bump. Sorry if I came across as bossy, or anything like that. :(
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 10:40:02 PM »
I would love to see those OVAs dubbed or even fansubbed.  From what I caught in the beginning, Mario was playing his Famicom late in the night when Princess Peach popped out of the TV, along with many of Koopa's baddies.  Peach asked Mario to protect her from Koopa, and he agreed.  Koopa popped out of the TV, squished Mario, and kidnapped Peach.  Peach and Koopa go back into the TV.  Luigi comes in, Mario apparently tells his little brother what just happened, but Luigi doesn't believe him.  So Luigi goes back to bed.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 03:54:50 PM »
After watching those clips again, I have discoverecd a few things that may have actually inspired certain features of later Mario games. I happened to notice that quite a few things in the movie are not present in the game it's based on.

1. Peach left behind a crystal pendant. Something similar happened in the live-action Mario movie.
2. The little blue dog-like creature looks like a prototype Wiggler(SMW) and may also have been an inspiration for Poochie(YI).
3. Luigi wears yellow and also appears to be an aspiring treasure hunter. This depiction of Luigi may have been an inspiration behind Wario(SML2).
4. Mario and Luigi are not plumbers. Instead, they are running a general store. Miyamoto probably never intended for them to be plumbers anyway.
5. The Goombas lead Luigi to a field of mood-changing mushrooms. We all know that different types of mushrooms did not appear until SMB:TLL.
6. Bowser is able to shape-shift. Rather odd.
7. Mario and Luigi are seen walking across a variety of different landscapes. Some of which look like the ones from SMB3.
8. The paratroopa acts like a bird. Also odd.
9. Bowser and all of his minions look much larger than in the games.
10. A village of various Mushroom People is attacked in one scene. We didn't see Mushroom Villages until SMRPG.
11. The guy who appears to be some sort of sage looks like something out of Zelda.
12. Mario chases the dog-thing through a pile of pipes. Pipes didn't appear in piles until SMB3.

So there you have it. Thats all of the things I managed to wring from those clips. This movie did look rather interesting to watch in full. It sort of reminds me of Felix the Cat: The Movie which I recall being very similar to the Mario games.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 05:08:20 PM »
Those inspirations happen a lot.  In fact some believe that things from the old Zelda cartoons inspired certain features of later Zelda games.  Back on topic, I wondered why the Bros were working at a general store.  I thought perhaps where they lived, plumbing wasn't enough to pay the bills or something.

I don't think either of these OVAs will ever be brought to the States, or anywhere else outside Japan for that matter.  And if Nintendo ever considers to dub them, they'd probably only dub the Snow White one.  The other two fairy tale retellings, from what I've read, either has guns (I don't think Nintendo would aprove of rereleasing an animation that has someone from a family friendly game series threatening someone else at gunpoint.  Look at "Legend of Dratini") or content that many outside Japan would not understand.  If you ever wondered why most dubbed anime is not as good, it's because the companies that dubbed the eps had to take certain material out due to cultural differences.

Nonetheless, I still wanna see the whole thing on better quality screen, subbed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 05:10:27 PM by Kojinka »
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 05:45:15 PM »
I still can't get over Bowser's shape-shifting ability. How come they never made him do that in the games? I think it would be kinda cool.

Print