Print

Author Topic: Nintendo gets fined for anti-trust laws...  (Read 2173 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: October 30, 2002, 10:46:10 AM »
Date: October 30th, 2002

Brussels, Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the maker of Pokemon and Super Mario Bros. video-game software, was fined 149 million euros ($146 million) by European regulators for fixing the prices of its games.

Nintendo worked with seven distributors between 1991 and 1998 to block sales between European countries and keep prices higher, the European Commission said. The distributors, led by John Menzies Plc and Itochu Corp., were fined a total of 19 million euros.

``Millions of European families spend large amounts of money on video games -- they have the right to buy the video games and consoles at the lowest price the market can possibly offer,'' Competition Commissioner Mario Monti said in a statement.

Nintendo's fine was the fourth-biggest ever levied by European antitrust enforcers against a single company. The commission is stepping up its crackdown on cartels after imposing a record 1.86 billion euros in fines in 10 decisions involving 56 companies last year.

Separately, the commission said it has yet to make any conclusions in its probe of complaints that AOL Time Warner Inc. and six rivals colluded to inflate prices for movies on digital video discs.

In the Nintendo case, John Menzies was fined 9 million euros and Itochu 4.5 million euros. The commission set smaller fines on Linea GIG SpA, Concentra L.DA, Bergsala AB, Nortec SA and CD- Contact Data GmbH. The companies have two months to appeal. John Menzies shares fell 3 percent to 337 pence ($5.24) following the announcement.

Sales Threshold

Under EU law, the commission can fine companies accused of operating a cartel as much as 10 percent of their annual sales. It typically opts for less. The largest fine was 462 million euros levied against Hoffman-la Roche AG in 2001 for fixing the price of vitamins.

Nintendo didn't challenge the commission's finding that it broke EU antitrust law. It said it has set aside enough money to pay the fine without reducing earnings.

``Nintendo has accounted for the decision in its previous planning, so that there will be no impact on its business and financial performance this financial year,'' the company said in an e-mailed statement. ``However, in view of the size of the fine, which Nintendo finds surprising, Nintendo will lodge an appeal.''

The commission collected evidence showing that Nintendo and its distributors colluded to maintain artificially high price differences in the EU by preventing exports from one country to another via unofficial distribution channels. That meant customers couldn't take advantage of price differences of more than 65 percent between the 15 EU nations.

Market Impact

``Sentiment in the (Tokyo stock) market is bearish at present, so investors may turn sellers of Nintendo on this news,'' said Takashi Oya, an analyst at Deutsche Securities in Tokyo.

The separate digital video discs investigation, announced in June 2001, ``is going on -- I have nothing more to say at this stage,'' spokeswoman Amelia Torres told a news conference.

The others named in that probe were Walt Disney Co., News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox, Vivendi Universal SA, Metro-Goldwyn- Mayer Inc., Sony Corp. and Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures.

Source: Boomberg

---_---_---_---_---

It looks like Nintendo's in a bit of trouble... Hopefully, they can get out of this one by year's end.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 02:09:06 PM »
The funny thing is that the Competition Commissioner is called Mario....

weird things are supposed to happen around Halloween...  :) :) :)

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 02:41:25 PM »
Notice they mentioned Nintendo created Pokemon before they mentioned Super Mario Bros.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #7:

"Darkness comes over the land,
The Night grabs us with its cold, sticky hand.
We beg the Night to let us go,
But it grabs us tighter, saying, `No.`
Then it stabs us in the head.
Because of Daylight Saving Time, we now are dead."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 10:38:54 PM »
The evil news media.
Game Freak made Pokemon, not Nintendo, right?
I'm proud to buy my games at a higher price than those stupid "budget" PS2 games. And I don't even live in Europe.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2002, 09:52:37 AM »
GameFreak developed the Pokemon games, Nintendo published them and owns the rights to the series. But why are we talking about Pokemon? I HATE POKEMON!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 02:30:36 PM »
I think we're missing the point.  Nintendo's in trouble.  Yet, I agree.  Take out Pokemon.  Game Freak should be in trouble too.  They seem to take part in this article.  But Who cares if they get Game Freak sued 'cause of that 2-year-old crap?

------------------------------

“Computer games don''t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we''d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.” - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989
------------------------------

“Computer games don''t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we''d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.” - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2002, 12:19:51 AM »
Nintendo's not in trouble. If anything, only NOE is. And they said they accounted for this in their financial management.
Is Microsoft in trouble from Antitrust suits? No.
Why didn't Xbox take stupid Game Freak instead of Rare?
(That was a rhetorical question. Do not try to answer me. I already know.)
Pokemon... the infamy...
That was a joke.

Print