Print

Author Topic: Fighting Games  (Read 2462 times)

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« on: February 05, 2004, 08:05:05 PM »
I recently bought Soul Calibur II for GameCube.  I've made substantial progress in the one player mode at the default difficulty level using Link.  But I'm not really using any of his moves.  I'm just using the basic moves shared by all of the characters.

I went into the practice mode and got a list of the combinations for all of Link's complex moves, and I can't imagine ever actually learning them all.  Rote memorization of the moves would be easy enough, but I can't imagine learning them to the point where I can actually recognize when it would be best to use the different moves in the middle of battle, and respond quickly enough to actually pull them off.  And Link's moves are relatively simple compared to the other character's moves, some of which require ten+ button combinations.

So my question is this: does anybody ever actually use these moves?  The way I see it, you can either button mash, or learn one cheap move and use it over and over again.  That's basically what I've been doing, and it works against both computer and human players.  So who actually takes the time to learn all the complex moves?  Are they just there for show?  Maybe I'm just not used to the genre...Super Smash Brothers Melee made things so simple...

This is not a signature.

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 10:35:13 PM »
I'm a pretty big fighting game fan, and yes, learning all the moves and using them effectively will make you better and more successful, but the difference between that and using one cheap move is hard to surpass. That is, you have to be pretty dang good to see a difference.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 02:58:42 PM »
I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE Soul Calibur 2! THE. BEST. FIGHTING. GAME. EVER!

Namco really put a lot of effort into creating the Soul Calibur games. The controls are perfect (on all the versions I played, including Xbox); the variety of different characters is sweet (Link is the best secret character, of course); the animations of the different fight moves are amazing; and the music is perfectly scored (The Legend of Zelda theme music in Soul Calibur 2 is incredible)!

Soul Calibur 2 is the most well-balanced and perfectly constructed fighting game ever!

Link kicks major butt in that game, I can beat anyone as him! Link and Kilik are two of my best fighters!
============================================

Edited by - Lizard Dude on 2/7/2004 4:27:36 PM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 04:51:54 PM »
>>
-

Watch your mouth, Mario Maniac. I am so ANGREY at Sadib right now, that I don't want to hear ANYMORE swearing today. }:(

---------------------------------------------

Gotta kill fast! Gotta kill fast! Gotta kill faster! Faster! Faster! Faster! Lonic X!
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 06:29:04 PM »
Meh, Soul Caliber 2 is too slow-style for me. I much prefer Marvel vs. Capcom style ultrafast fighting games with million hit combos and multifighter madness. I'll still play slow-style and have fun with them, though.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 09:15:34 PM »
I tried Tekken, but it was WAY too slow. The way I see it, the faster the game is, the better.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 01:32:07 AM »
Can't think of anything to say.

Edited by - nintendofreak on 2/7/2004 11:38:58 PM
Deezer was here.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 07:05:49 AM »
I have Soul Caliber 2 and I believe Link is one of the best characters if you can learn his moves.
His moves are pretty simple, I got them down by practicing for 30 minutes a day.
He is really dangerous when you have the Biggoron sword.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

TEM

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 10:53:24 AM »
Speaking of Link does anyone know what his last 3 weapons are in Weapon master mode?
I have all of them for him up to the Biggoron sword.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 01:32:34 PM »
Soul Edge, Great Fairy's Sword, Bug Net. I don't like to play as Link, though, because he's kinda cheap.

TEM

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 03:32:21 PM »
I didn't think the bug net was going to make an appearence.

Print