Print

Author Topic: South Park offensive to gamers?  (Read 15201 times)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 09:08:05 PM »
I'd just like to note that Drawn Together and South Park are no where near on the same level.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »
Yeah, Drawn Together is horrible in my opinion, not because of sick content, but lack of any clever humor whatsoever.

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »
I pretty much saw this comment coming, because everything offends you. I offend you, Steve offends you, homosexuals offend you, liberals offend you, cartoon shows that shouldn't be taken literally offend you...Indeed, you're very close-minded. But, please, identify the other reasons why the show offends you.

Funny, you claim that you haven't seen the show before, but already deem it offensive just from info from sources that are not the show itself. Why is this? Wikipedia isn't a great source for information, especially in video game as well as South Park-related articles. True, I've edited some of those articles myself, but sometimes I come across various paragraphs filled with grammatical and punctuational errors; it makes it quite hard to believe that they're true.

Though, you are correct, there are episodes I KNOW you'd be quite offended to see. There are episodes I know that have poked fun at stuff I like, but my usual reaction is laughter.

To the rest of the people who seriously find South Park (or the episode itself) offensive:
It's a cartoon, guys. A little cartoon made to make people laugh. Just shrug it off and move on with life if you don't like it. Don't preach about what you find offensive to people who don't care.

The episodes I had mostly in mind when I said that were the ones in which great Christian figures were depicted obscenely, simply to be blasphemous. I know these episodes existed, because not only did I hear about them on Wikipedia (which, by the way, is to be trusted in this case because what I was looking at were brief outlines of the plots that couldn't have been very far off at all), but I also heard about them in, for example, religious newspapers/newsletters which denounced the scenes I just mentioned.

If you want to know more specifically what I was referring to, I was thinking of the time when the show's creators showed a depiction of Jesus defecating on the American flag (supposedly to make fun of the Mohammed cartoon controversy, though the Christians were still picked on particularly much then because the depictions of Mohammed in the cartoon controversy weren't obscene), and of a very obscene parody of crying Mary statues that was aired on the feast day of the Immaculate Conception (this was almost certainly on purpose); instead of crying, the statue in the show was spraying blood from its... unmentionable parts.

(Please note: I can hardly believe I even got myself to type that; but I need to get my point across.)

For reasons such as these, I feel that I definitely should be vocal in complaining about it. The show should really be gotten rid of completely, and I would LOVE that to happen. It's not only meant to make people laugh; it's also meant to make other people angry and offended, and that's NOT okay.

Quote from: PaperLuigi
Okay people, I'm gonna say this, and you may not like it. South Park is supposed to be offensive. It wouldn't be South Park without it. Those who can't take it as a joke need to be quiet or not watch the show. I am a Christian, and I don't feel hurt by the Christian bashing one bit. It's a freakin' joke.

You call yourself a Christian, and yet you aren't offended by what I just described?! Either you haven't heard nearly everything about the show and didn't know about those things, or you are the sort of person that makes me truly sick.

Exactly, it wouldn't be South Park without the offensive crap in it. That's why the show needs to be gotten rid of. And that's why people like me DON'T need to be quiet.

EDIT: DANG TYPO!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:10:46 AM by smfan1085 »
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2006, 11:10:18 PM »
Hahahaha, crying Mario statues.
But I don't think it's really "meant" to anger other people.
That was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 09:11:37 AM »
Gosh dang it.... That was the most embarrassing typo I ever made. I went back and edited it.

I must be too used to typing "Mario" or something.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 01:42:39 PM »
The episodes I had mostly in mind when I said that were the ones in which great Christian figures were depicted obscenely, simply to be blasphemous. I know these episodes existed, because not only did I hear about them on Wikipedia (which, by the way, is to be trusted in this case because what I was looking at were brief outlines of the plots that couldn't have been very far off at all), but I also heard about them in, for example, religious newspapers/newsletters which denounced the scenes I just mentioned.
Yeah, there usually is a lot of outcry from conservative Christians about episodes like those, to the point where they're removed from rotation schedules on Comedy Central and networks that air it in syndication.

and of a very obscene parody of crying Mary statues that was aired on the feast day of the Immaculate Conception (this was almost certainly on purpose);
I'm VERY sure that was sheer coincidence. Remember, a lot of people working at Comedy Central are NOT Christian. They're Jewish, and most likely didn't even know that holiday was going on. If they did, I'm sure they would've told the creators to hold off on that episode and have the network air a rerun instead.  (Its original airdate was December 7th. You're telling me the Feast of the Immaculate Conception was on the same day)

instead of crying, the statue in the show was spraying blood from its... unmentionable parts.
Well, technically that was NOT the main focus of the episode (though the title is "Bloody Mary"), the main premise is one of the children's fathers trying to rehabilitate himself from being an alcoholic, and not realizing he could do so himself without the help of a miracle.

(Please note: I can hardly believe I even got myself to type that; but I need to get my point across.)
Noted. *heavy sigh*

For reasons such as these, I feel that I definitely should be vocal in complaining about it.
That's good. You have every right to be mad. Other people (including me, to be honest), of course, have every right to think you're crazy.

The show should really be gotten rid of completely
[/opinion]

and I would LOVE that to happen.
I wouldn't. Matt and Trey are here to stay, I'd say. And, hey, I've ran out of rhyming words.

It's not only meant to make people laugh; it's also meant to make other people angry and offended, and that's NOT okay.
Trey Parker and Matt Stone have said many times that it is not meant to offend, but I'm sure they do take pleasure in seeing complaints from people who have no power to cancel the show. I would. It's been Comedy Central's highest rated show for over half a decade. The only reason production on it would be ceased would be if Matt and Trey decided to stop creating it.

You call yourself a Christian, and yet you aren't offended by what I just described?! Either you haven't heard nearly everything about the show and didn't know about those things, or you are the sort of person that makes me truly sick.
Again, this is the stuff I see from you that makes me say to myself "....this guy REALLY needs to open up a bit more." Being born Christian, I don't find any of the religion bashing episodes to be offensive. AT ALL. One, because it's a cartoon. Two, because if you cannot learn to laugh at yourself, you'll live a life of misery as people take pride in insulting you and what you think.

Exactly, it wouldn't be South Park without the offensive crap in it. That's why the show needs to be gotten rid of. And that's why people like me DON'T need to be quiet.
Again, [/opinion].

I once again feel the need to repeat myself because this just doesn't seem to get into anyone's head:
IT. IS. A. CARTOON. If you seriously get offended by what's shown on it, that's YOUR problem, NOT the creators'.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 02:04:06 PM »
[/opinion]

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 02:04:49 PM »
[/make Vid laugh]
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 03:51:05 PM »
Yeah, there usually is a lot of outcry from conservative Christians about episodes like those, to the point where they're removed from rotation schedules on Comedy Central and networks that air it in syndication.
I'm VERY sure that was sheer coincidence. Remember, a lot of people working at Comedy Central are NOT Christian. They're Jewish, and most likely didn't even know that holiday was going on. If they did, I'm sure they would've told the creators to hold off on that episode and have the network air a rerun instead.  (Its original airdate was December 7th. You're telling me the Feast of the Immaculate Conception was on the same day)
Well, technically that was NOT the main focus of the episode (though the title is "Bloody Mary"), the main premise is one of the children's fathers trying to rehabilitate himself from being an alcoholic, and not realizing he could do so himself without the help of a miracle.
Noted. *heavy sigh*
That's good. You have every right to be mad. Other people (including me, to be honest), of course, have every right to think you're crazy.
[/opinion]
I wouldn't. Matt and Trey are here to stay, I'd say. And, hey, I've ran out of rhyming words.
Trey Parker and Matt Stone have said many times that it is not meant to offend, but I'm sure they do take pleasure in seeing complaints from people who have no power to cancel the show. I would. It's been Comedy Central's highest rated show for over half a decade. The only reason production on it would be ceased would be if Matt and Trey decided to stop creating it.
Again, this is the stuff I see from you that makes me say to myself "....this guy REALLY needs to open up a bit more." Being born Christian, I don't find any of the religion bashing episodes to be offensive. AT ALL. One, because it's a cartoon. Two, because if you cannot learn to laugh at yourself, you'll live a life of misery as people take pride in insulting you and what you think.
 Again, [/opinion].

I once again feel the need to repeat myself because this just doesn't seem to get into anyone's head:
IT. IS. A. CARTOON. If you seriously get offended by what's shown on it, that's YOUR problem, NOT the creators'.
*sings* Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhmeeeeeeeehhhhhn!

The Scientology episode is, perhaps, the only time the writers may have ever gone a bit overboard.  That episode is the main reason that they lost Chef.

I also agree that Drawn Together is horrible.  Not even Ling Ling's, who is my favorite VG/Anime character rip-off, presence can make the show all that worth watching.  Well okay, sometimes I may watch it if my dad's not around.  I love the episode with the Sausage Pizza Prank, though
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »

Quit being a baby. Christians are Christians because they can take crap from other people and laugh about it. Jesus said it himself that people are gonna walk on you. ALL THE TIME. This world is evil son. Get over it.

If I make you sick, go throw up in the toilet.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 04:14:03 PM »
Yeah, smfan1085, you're eating right out of the palm of their hand. If you take offense to what they say about your religion, and you revolt, they win, because you can't stop them, but if you try, they'll just say "wow, we did a good job". If you hate South Park because of how offensive it is, pretend it doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:16:08 PM by solidmushroom »

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »
Yeah, Drawn Together is horrible in my opinion, not because of sick content, but lack of any clever humor whatsoever.

Agreed. The show relies on shock humor rather than clever writing.

Anyway, offensive to gamers? Nah. I mean, Trey and Matt themselves are gamers (as both of them have Xbox 360's and are interested in the Wii...I saw it in an article). Besides, if it was really THAT offensive, Blizzard probably wouldn't have given them permission to use machinima based on the game in the episode.
Professional Paisano here

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 06:09:48 PM »
Are you sure they're gamers? They supposedly didn't know about Mega Man when they came up with the action figures the SP kids play with.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »
I'm 90% certain that was a parody of Megaman. Either that, or it played on the genericness of the name "Megaman", which in truth sounds like some Power Rangers-style action figure.
every

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 06:19:35 PM »
Are you sure they're gamers? They supposedly didn't know about Mega Man when they came up with the action figures the SP kids play with.

Well, I'm sure Try knows about Mega Man, but judging by the fact that he's a fan of Japanese culture, he probably prefers calling him Rockman. Still, I'm not sure about that one, seeing how I've never asked him, let alone, talked to him period. :P
Professional Paisano here

Print