Print

Author Topic: Let's Rant About Visual Basic!  (Read 5400 times)

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:17:09 AM »
The popular thread from Acmlm's "Computing" forum has finally made its way into Fungi Forums! This is where you share your thoughts and feelings about the infamous programming language, Visual Basic. Anything you wish to say about it, whether good or bad, can be said here. Have Fun!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:34:53 PM by BriGuy92 »
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
What's programming language? Is that like HTML or something?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »
No, HTML is a markup language. Programming languages... let you write programs.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:04:32 AM »
When I saw the title, a thought crossed my mind. I forget what it was, because I was too busy thinking "What in tarnation is a Visual Basic?"

My theories included:

1. A top-secret military base in the sewers of New York, much like Area 64
2. Some kind of breakfast cereal from Egypt
3. A rad name for a band (but not as rad as "Pandora's Box")
4. Some computery thing from the '80s

That concludes my rant on Visual Basic.
every

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:53 AM »
Much like me? I'm like a military base in New York?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
How can I rant about something I know nothing about? I can't write a program to save my life!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 01:25:56 PM »
I, for one, do know what Visual Basic is. But I never learned it, and judging by your description of it, I'll probably steer clear.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 02:35:15 PM »
What description? Infamous?
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 04:05:26 PM »
I took a class on Visual Basic my junior year of high school (I was forced to, as juniors shouldn't have so many free periods). I can't say I remember much of it at all.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 04:43:37 PM »
 I don't have a lot of experience programming in BASIC, Visual BASIC, or VB .NET. However, I certainly have heard of it and have also heard it is a good language for new comers to programming to start with.

I'm not really up to speed on its developments, as I predominately work with C/++, Java, and Ruby, but I do believe it gets some use in the Microsoft .NET Framework. I'm not sure where it ranks in use with real deliverable applications, but I don't really see learning it to be a priority.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »
I've never used Visual BASIC. The closest I've come to it is TI-BASIC, which is another good beginner's language. (I mostly write programs to put on my calcualtor so I can play with them at school.)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »
Gee, transplanting a thread from a Computing forum about Visual Basic to a Mario Bros. fan forum...

Great idea! I'm sure Mario Bros. fans love to program in Visual Basic! You'll get so many useful responses!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:49:47 PM »
I think the main point is that Visual Basic is a pretty crummy development package.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 12:41:18 AM »
I, for one, love it when threads from other forums finally come here.  It gives me a chance to voice my opinion on things so that the people who frequent THIS forum can read it.  And seriously, what took it so long?  The other day I sent a PM to BriGuy92 and I said "Hey, what's the release plan on that Visual Basic thread?" and he said "I don't know, it's a lot of work."

In conclusion, Visual Basic is a pretty crummy development package.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
Visual Basic sucks in practically every way.  Yes, I have some experience with it.

Print