Print

Author Topic: Mario vs. Donkey Kong- all 90 stars  (Read 4083 times)

« on: December 16, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »
I need help collecting the stars for these levels:

Level 4-3
Level 5-3
Level 6-mm
Level 6-6+

If anyone can help me out, that could be great.
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »
Okay, I think I got 4-3 for ya (that's one nasty level!)

you'll have to do a handstand on the bottom moving platform the first time it comes around.  That way you can jump up to the second moving platform without any switches pressed.  Once there, leap over to the left, hit the yellow switch, fall down to collect the present, and fall again to return to the bottom of the level.

Next you ride the bottom moving platform across, grab the key, hit the blue switch, and wait oh-so-patiently for the moving platform to return.  Get on the platform, then use the blue blocks to get to the second moving platform (of course).  Get off on the left side, and hit the yellow switch.

This is the part that gets tricky.  From the left side of this little ledge, throw your key down to the right, so that it doesn't fall off.  Do a handstand so that you end up on top of the key.  You'll need to wait for the third moving platform to come by, then you jump on it, and double-jump off to the left to get the present (when double-jumping out of a handstand-jump, make sure you don't start holding left before you actually double-jump, or it might not work.)

Anyway, you should get the present, land next to the key, and be right on time to take the second moving platform back to the right, where you can climb up and beat the level.  Perfectly executed, this should leave you with 94 seconds.

The second half of the level is pretty straightforward, I think, you'll just have to be kinda quick about it.  One thing to note, though, is the last set of blue ghosts?  You will NOT have to use them at all.  If you can avoid hitting the blue switch up there, just make a jump for the ladder.  And chances are the last red ghost will already be in a perfect position.

*whew*... I hope that helps.  If it's too nebulous as text, let me know and I'll try to make a visual aid.

And I'll get to the others later.
Go Moon!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »
5-3, then:

The first part is actually very (well, kinda) simple, it just has to be very precise.

Grab the key immediately, throw it on the conveyor belt, and follow it under to the left.  Grab the key again, then stomp the conveyor belt switch, jump on the spring, and hit the yellow switch.

Throw the key on the second conveyor belt and follow it under again to the right.  Grab the key once more, then jump on the yellow block and toss the key straight up, onto the conveyor belt above.

Walk (don't run!) off the yellow block to land on the belt switch (quickly, though, before the key falls off the top belt).  Ride the bottom conveyor belt under to the left, reverse the belts again, and hit the red switch (turn around at that point; there's no need to jump on the spring).  The exit should then be wide open to you (just make sure you get to your key in time).

A well-executed run should earn you about 96 seconds.

The second part is actually pretty simple, too.  It just has to be pretty precisely-executed as well (but that goes for most of this game, hm?)

There are two things to keep in mind about bob-ombs:
- They'll always jump out the opposite side of Mario.  If you're trying to hurry a bob-omb somewhere, wait on the appropriate side (but not too close, or no bob-ombs'll appear).
- Wait until the BOMB blast is COMPLETELY gone.  It's no fun dying on the second half of a level, and you're not in THAT much of a rush here.

That said:

Run immediately into that little hole to the left.  The bob-omb will break the blocks.  Use a second one to break the next blocks (of course), then grab a third one (wait on the cannon's right side), bounce up off the spring and toss it right in the nook of the blocks.  While you're waiting for this bob-omb to go off, go ahead and climb up to the top, and run over and grab the present (you can run off the right side to get back, just don't fall ALL the way down at once).

At this point, a fourth bob-omb should just be poking out of the cannon.  Go ahead and grab it, bounce up, and toss it down to destroy the blocks on the left (now, if you're feeling REALLY daring here, you can actually do a turnaround-jump off that bob-omb's head and grab the last present.  But, again, you aren't in THAT much of a hurry here).  Once you hit the blue switch, you can go back up and turnaround-jump to get the last present.

After that, it's just using the top bob-omb cannon to blow up the bricks between you and the Mini-Mario.  Simple enough, no?

EDIT : Man, 6-mm is an annoying level to best... what's the target score on that one?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 02:10:57 PM by Fifth »
Go Moon!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 02:25:38 PM »
Okay, 6-mm time :

I'm sure you know well enough how to beat this one, so let me give you a few time-saving bits of advice:

- When you're leading the Mini-Marios off of the first conyeyor belt, that'd be a good time to hit the yellow switch.

- To get down the ladder quickly, press B to let go (but press up again near the bottom, or else you'll get knocked-out).

- The fastest way to get to the Mini-Marios on the left is to run right through the lasers (but they're going the correct direction for this).

- When leading the Mini-Marios through the blue-block passage, grab the garbage can.  Throw it straight up before you climb the ladder (or turnaround-jump up, whichever).

- Go up ahead of the Mini-Marios on the spring to the right (and bring the garbage can).  They won't follow you if you're quick enough.

- And finally, make sure the garbage can is close enough to the ledge.  Mini-Marios aren't very bright.
Go Moon!

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »
I think i need a visual for level 4-3, i'll never play that level again until I get that star! I got a star for 5-3, but not for 6-mm or 6-6+ yet. But things will perken up, I hope.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 07:58:39 PM »
Visual aid, comin' up!

Step 1:
Jump on the plaftorm, handstand-jump (or turnaround-jump, which I think is easier) onto the upper platform, ride up, hit yellow switch, fall down, collect present.

Step 2:
Get across to key, hit blue switch.  Wait patiently.

Step 3:
Carry key up to yellow switch.  Hit switch.

Step 4:
Carefully throw key onto the right side of the platform.  Handstand on key.  Wait until upper platform comes near, then handstand-jump onto it (requires careful timing!) and double-jump up to grab the present (remember: don't hold left until the jump starts!)

Step 5:
Beat level (should be pretty easy at this point.)
Go Moon!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 09:29:10 PM »
I can't believe you actually bothered to do that.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 10:02:03 PM »
I believe I have the right to illustrate whatever I see fit.

Besides, figuring things out and explaining them happens to be something I enjoy.  I'm the type who gives "10 second explanations" for all the Mario Party minigames to newcomers.

I also happen to be a fan of hand-drawn video game aids, especially maps.
...Not that anybody actually draws maps anymore.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 10:03:55 PM by Fifth »
Go Moon!

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »
Thanks a lot, Fifth. I.O.U.!

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
Heh heh, I got an image of Fifth dressed like Patton, strolling back and forth in front of the TV with 3 gaping n00bs watching, grasping their controllers with sweaty hands.

"Now what you're going to have to do here is..."

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 07:39:03 AM »
I GOT ALL 90 STARS AND GOT ALL PRESENTS, including the EXPERT MODE! Thanx!

Print