Print

Author Topic: Mario Universe Voice Acting Mysteries, Etc.  (Read 40779 times)

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
The schwa rears its ugly head again. It drives my little mind nuts that this one vowel, despite being "neutral", can have any number of slightly different sounds to it and yet still be considered the same sound. It also drives me nuts when I try to match IPA vowels to English vowels and fail.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
This are the three most popular suggestions on what Mario might have said when kicking Bowser's tail, just for the record.

1. So long de Bowser
2. So long eh Bowser
3. So long-a Bowser
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
I could just probably just research this real fast but then what would be the point of a forum?
o.k. while were talking about voice acting mysteries. Why is it that in mario party 2, mario kart super circut, and some other game game i cant remember at this point, does Luigi sound like he's going threw reverse puberty?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »
I could just probably just research this real fast but then what would be the point of a forum?
o.k. while were talking about voice acting mysteries. Why is it that in mario party 2, mario kart super circut, and some other game game i cant remember at this point, does Luigi sound like he's going threw reverse puberty?

That's a good question. It just seems like they were experimenting with Luigi's voice before settling on a "just right" decision of not too deep (N64 Mario sports series) and not too high and stupid (N64 Mario Party series). Mario Party 3 seems to be the first Mario game that features his current voice in its infancy.

The only explanation I could come up with is that they didn't want Luigi's voice too low to overpower Mario's and make Mario seem immature, but at the same time, they didn't want it high so Luigi wouldn't come off as a pansy.

Here's another voice acting mystery though (two, actually): What does Wario say in the Mario Power Tennis intro at the very beginning? Mario hits the ball, they both miss, and after Luigi says, "We did it!", it sounds like Wario says something like, "Shee-tahls."

Also, at the title screen of Mario Golf, Wario says something at the very beginning (if you watch the whole intro). I believe he says, "It should be called Wario Golf", then either him or Luigi says, "You gonna love it."

This is probably an old issue, but:

In SM64 when Mario throws Bowser around he says, "So long _____, Bowser!" What's the missing word?

Come on, Rew! I already asked that in the original post of the topic.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:52:51 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »
@Trainman: But that post was long, and I'm an old man with a short attention span! =P
Blargg.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »
Here's another voice acting mystery though (two, actually):[/b] What does Wario say in the Mario Power Tennis intro at the very beginning? Mario hits the ball, they both miss, and after Luigi says, "We did it!", it sounds like Wario says something like, "Shee-tahls."
I have reason to believe that he is saying "cheaters."
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
This are the three most popular suggestions on what Mario might have said when kicking Bowser's tail, just for the record.

1. So long de Bowser
(2. So long eh Bowser)
3. So long-a Bowser

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2010, 10:54:32 PM »
I always thought he said "so long KING Bowser"

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
Sound at 1:43. It has to be "So long, eh Bowser", can't be anything else. Though to me it almost sounded like "So long, eh Bowsie".

*looks at N64-era Bowser* He's come a long way.
You didn't say wot wot.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2010, 02:46:33 AM »
Oh yeah, I should've known since Wario & Waluigi's new thing is to constantly say that someone is cheating.

@Trainman: But that post was long, and I'm an old man with a short attention span! =P

Hmm, fair enough.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2010, 10:24:28 AM »
*looks at N64-era Bowser* He's come a long way.

*looks at NES-era Bowser* Talk about having come a long way!

(Also, I still think of Mario as saying, "So long there, Bowser." =P)
Blargg.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
I always thought SMB Bowser was the least evil looking Bowser out of all of them.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »
*looks at him* you couldn't see his eyebrows, so he looked like a happy oblivious Bowser. Also, I could have sworn in some editions of SMB I saw Bowser without spikes on his back. Either I was misremembering or I was surprised at how non-intimidating he looked compared to his later incarnations.
You didn't say wot wot.

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »
*looks at NES-era Bowser* Talk about having come a long way!

(Also, I still think of Mario as saying, "So long there, Bowser." =P)

I think he's right actually! That's it, "there". That has to be what he's saying. *not sarcasm

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
he looked like a happy oblivious Bowser

I've always gotten the "menacing, maniacal freak" vibe from SMB's Bowser. Anyways, only one of King Koopa's many incarnations has ever instilled true terror in my heart:
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print