Print

Author Topic: QUICK!!If you know anything about a "Queen Hecuba" CLICK HERE!  (Read 2421 times)

« on: May 01, 2002, 07:39:34 PM »
ok, I have this project in LA, basically I have to interpret song lyrics and present them, with my interpretation. Somehow I stuck myself with Carmina Burana-O Fortuna. It is written in Latin, but through various translations, Its pretty much in the bag. But i cant figure out the last two lines!!!

nam sub axe legimus
Hecubam reginam.

which means:
for under the axis is written
Queen Hecuba.

If you know ANYTHING about Queen Hecuba, im BEGGING you to post it here. numerous searches only told me she was a queen of troy.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHY THE SONG WOULD SAY THAT??!!IF YOU HAVE A GUESS, PLEASE POST THAT TOO!!

thanx in advance for any help I get.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

I can get you the MARIO AND ZELDA CARTOONS!!!go to my "get the mario and zelda cartoons FREE!!!!" topic and request what episodes you want!!!

you really dont know, do you??

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 07:51:56 PM »
ok, I think I may have something...

Hecuba , in Greek mythology, chief wife of Priam, king of Troy. Hecuba bore to Priam 19 children, including Paris, Hector, Troilus, Cassandra, and others who were prominent in the Trojan War. To save Polydorus, her youngest son, from the Greeks, Hecuba sent him to Polymnestor, king of Thrace. After the sack of Troy she was allotted to Odysseus, who on his way home stopped at Thrace. Learning there that Polymnestor had murdered Polydorus, Hecuba, in revenge, blinded the king and killed his children. She is an important character in Euripides' plays Hecuba and The Trojan Women.

I think it fits because this song is about fortune and how it easily takes you to the top but brings back down. It refers to them as kings, so what I gathered is This KING killed Hecubas son, and (bringing the kings back down part) suddenly blinded him and killed his children.

It sounded fitting but its hard to explain.  What do you guys think??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

I can get you the MARIO AND ZELDA CARTOONS!!!go to my "get the mario and zelda cartoons FREE!!!!" topic and request what episodes you want!!!

you really dont know, do you??

Print