Print

Author Topic: Do You Read?  (Read 17035 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I read a lot when I was homeschooled, but I read a lot less when I went to high school, where the books for our book reports had to be picked from a list, and we couldn't do one on a book we had read before, so I wouldn't read even over the summer, because I was afraid any books I read would be on the list next year, and they would have been wasted. And most of the books on the list bored me. Especially Don Quixote. Worst book ever. I read Harry Potter 7 in about 8 hours my first time through, though. I try to read the Bible every day, but not as much as I wish I did. Other than that, I don't do much reading anymore, at least of books. I never really got back into it after high school. I've got a whole bunch of books lined up that I really want to read, but I never seem to find the time.

[/fence of text]
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
^So you could just lie and say you have never read it before.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »
I thought Don Quixote was good. Sure it stretches on, but so does all old literature from our modern standards, and you have to keep that in mind as you read it. It's very funny for its time. For a novel from the early 1600s, it was certainly good at making me mildly giggle. I found humor in something that old, and I suppose that is what made me appreciate it. 
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
Actually, I don't even think I read the whole thing (Don Quixote). I believe it was just one part of the whole thing, since we read it out of a 10th grade literature book. But I thought it was funny from the stuff I read. Seriously, all I usually read from the 1600s was Shakespeare, which was incredibly serious, then I find that there's a "parody" book on the chivalrous Arthurian legend stories. I thought it was pretty awesome.
I'm a horrible person.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:56 PM »
I was going to post here saying that there's already a thread just like this, and that this thread doesn't need to be here because of that, but I guess I won't. ( http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=9063.0 )

I read frequently. Douglas Adams, Dr. Seuss, J.K. Rowling, Guitar Player magazine, lots of non-fiction about music and instruments, some C.S. Lewis, (I didn't finish the Narnia series.) Jane Austen... I read a lot.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
Actually, I don't even think I read the whole thing (Don Quixote). I believe it was just one part of the whole thing, since we read it out of a 10th grade literature book.

I recommend checking out the actual book, because I can guarantee you that the 10th grade literature book company defiled the writing somehow. They are all over suggestive material and long words like scrubbing bubbles.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 07:03:46 AM »
Among the books I read during the school year that just ended, I read almost the entire Discworld series - everything except the young adult books (which are sitting on the desk in my room waiting for me to read them), Where's My Cow?, and the art book. The year before that, I read through the Left Behind series, Isaac Asimov's Robot and Foundation series (never did get into the Empire books), and the Sandman series (I read a few other graphic novels, including The Dead Boy Detectives, V for Vendetta, and Watchmen). During my freshman year, I read all of the Dune books except for Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune, since they weren't out yet (I've since read them, and still don't know what to think of all of the prequels and sequels written by Brian Herbert). Since I haven't read them yet, I'll probably read the Dark Tower books next year, taking a break at some point if Raising Taxes (the next Discworld book) comes out while I'm still reading them.

...I also read a lot of manga. Death Note pretty much sucked, Naruto is much better when you don't have to hear "BELIEVE IT!" every ten seconds (note: I have never watched the anime, only heard it coming from the room next to this one), JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is freaking awesome and I need to get volume 6, Buddha is pretty cool, Azumanga Daioh was hilarious, and I still need to read past volume 3 of Yotsuba&!...and then there's all the other stuff I read or have read that I'm not going into any sort of detail about right now, including Fruits Basket, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Chobits, Love Hina, Negima!, Cromartie High School, Initial D, and the first Star Trek manga...also, there's a very large manga called Ode to Kirihito sitting in front of me that I'll probably start reading later today.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008, 08:52:38 AM »
My friends are slowly turning me into a giant anime/manga fan. I've watched anime, yes, sometimes even on a regular basis, but haven't really gotten into (i.e., when the anime block comes on Adult Swim, I flip to other channels unless I'm too fat and lazy to reach the controller). Pretty much the only manga I've read is the Cloverfield/Kishin internet one. Now my friends are pulling some sort of intervention dealie and getting me manga volumes and anime DVDs. And it might possibly be working.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
Every time I see the title of this thread I think of some sort of army/airforce conversation.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
Roger that.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 08:09:53 PM »
"Roger, Roger."
"Over, Over."
"What's your vector, Victor?"

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »
Uh, that's not how it went.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
Did you watch Airplane 1 and 2?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
Roger and Victor weren't even in the sequel :-p

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »
Well, dangit, I heard that line somewhere!

Print