Print

Author Topic: The best movies of last decade  (Read 8068 times)

« on: January 15, 2011, 02:38:55 AM »
What were your best movie experiences of the last decade if you consider the year 2010 as part of it?
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:21:44 AM »
First four were the best experiences purely on the quality of the movie and don't really need an explanation, just watch them if you haven't already. Latter four were the best experiences because of the actual experience, not neccessarily the movie.

------------

44 Inch Chest

Speed Racer

Kung Pow! Enter the Fist

Paranormal Activity

Attending the opening day of The Matrix Revolutions in a theater with broken heating so it was 40 degrees F inside

Attending the opening day of Revenge of the Sith in LA with a bunch of TMKers

Going to Clash of the Titans and having the projector crash IMMEDIATELY after the dude screamed "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!" and they couldn't fix it (so I got two free tickets to see better movies than that POS, lol!)

Attending a theatrical screening of this. Yes, with the 3D glasses.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:30:31 AM »
Deciding my favorites of the last decade is a pretty tall order...  but I'll try, I suppose.

-Toy Story 3
-The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Okay, not nearly as good as the book, but hey.  Still probably the best book-to-film adaptation out there.)
-Batman Begins/The Dark Knight - For proving once and for all that it is possible to do a superhero movie right.
-Secondhand Lions - Really enjoyed this one.  A unique tone and plot, and hilarious in-story narrative sequences.
-WALL-E
-Sherlock Holmes
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
Still probably the best book-to-film adaptation out there.
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

proving once and for all that it is possible to do a superhero movie right.
The Incredibles

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
Different kind of book.  And Return of the King is so much better than Scott Pilgrim it's not even funny.

The Incredibles
Should've specified: Live-Action superhero movie.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »

Haha...you're serious aren't you?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
The thing between The Incredibles and The Dark Knight is that The Incredibles is an affectionate parody/homage of Super Hero comic books, with a modern meets '60s feel, whereas The Dark Knight is an adaptation played perfectly straight. Both are great films, both come from similar backgrounds, but that can't really be compared fairly, and the fact that one is Pixar CGI and the other is dark live action doesn't even come into it.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:45 PM »
The Scott Pilgrim movie is like the Spinal Tap stonehenge: a failed recreation attempt of a monumental original.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »
At least the movie was in color.

Anyway, here we go with the decade retrospectives... well, shoot, you're going to have to give me some time on this one. I mean, I'm not even twenty yet, so the last decade was literally almost half of my life so far.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
I still love Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. That's one of my favourite movies of all time, and very engaging, I find. Second one was also good, but the first left me quite satisfied!

I also loved the Batman movies, both of them, indeed! They were brilliantly done.

The Hangover...hee hee heeeee... XD

I appreciated Coraline...though not for the main character. :P That was one creepy movie, though!

I'm trying to remember which movies I saw that didn't come out BEFORE 2000. Uh...well, I didn't see the second Iron Man or Transformers, but I saw the first of each and really liked those. "The Incredible Hulk" (the one after Hulk) was also quite good. There was a Punisher movie that I found was awesome...wasn't the first one, either. It was War Zone, if I recall. Ahhhh, I love me some gooood action scenes!

I did like Lord of the Rings, but I liked the second one more because of all the fighting and other crazy crap going on.

Hairspray. XD Atonement...I didn't see Toy Story 3 yet! I really must look. >_< Man, I can't think of anything else...oh yeah, I really liked Megamind, though that was 2010.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »
Most of my favorite films are at least two decades old, but I do have some favorites from last decade:

1. Shrek. I can relate to Shrek. I picked this film because it resonates with me.

2. Inglourious Basterds. This movie is just hilarious and a whole lot of fun. A LOT can be said about Christoph Waltz's performance as Colonel Landa too.

3. Let the Right One In. The cinematography is stunning, and the relationship between the two main characters isn't forced but developed masterfully over time.

4. Donnie Darko. I'm a sucker for psychological films (which is why John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my favorites).

5. V for Vendetta. I picked this one for its political statements. Of course, Hugo Weaving plays a great V.

6. How to Train Your Dragon. It's not very faithful to the book, but the movie is good in its own right. A classic story of misunderstanding.

7. District 9. This film is like How to Train Your Dragon, only you know, more adult. With robots.

8. Pirates of the Caribbean. The story is good, but the actors (particularly Johnny Depp) made this film a winner. The other two films are bad but I'll always have a soft spot for the original.

9. Toy Story 3. What else is there to say? It's Toy Story.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:47:33 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
Ah, yeah, forgot about Shrek.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »
THAT movie...Inglorious Basterds! I loved it... I forgot about that, but it was awesome! And I loved Shrek and Shrek 2. o_o

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
My absolutely favourite movies were Avatar and Up.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
In no particular order:

Shrek
Inglorious *******s
Tangled
The Incredibles
Children of Men
Kill Bill
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Print