Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1273430 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2850 on: January 17, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »
Dial-up is one thing of the '90s that I definitely don't miss.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2851 on: January 18, 2008, 09:18:12 AM »
T-minus four hours until I'm leaving to see Cloverfield. Spoilerific review when I return, if I feel like it.
every

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2852 on: January 18, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »
Woot, double-post. So here's the deal: I saw Cloverfield. Not a masterpiece, but it's pretty awesome. I like the end credits music. Basically, the whole point of the movie is to see a big brown, bug-like monster with Predator-style madibles, puffy squirrel cheeks, and dangly T-Rex arms in between its massive four legs rip the crap out of New York, which is fine. I didn't cry at the emotional parts, I kind of chuckled at the funny parts, but most of all, I constantly went "dude, did I just see, like, a mouth?" You never actually get to see the monster in full, but by the end you should have a very good mental picture of the full thing. Maybe I'll link to a sketch I drew of it.

Here (warning: big fat spoiler):
http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cfmonsterew3.png
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:54:59 PM by Glorb »
every

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #2853 on: January 18, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »
Yeah, I just got back from the theaters and saw Cloverfield as well. My views are probably the same as Glorb's about it. It wasn't great, but was pretty cool. Pretty freaky at points, and the action-y parts made me a little hyper, but nothing too bad. I just really didn't like the plot is all. 3.5/5 stars at best, for a cool movie.

That drawing actually is spot-on I'd say. Of course it lacks detail, but it has the main features, so very good, Glorb!
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2854 on: January 18, 2008, 05:51:21 PM »
I drew it in about 30 seconds...I'll probably work on a much better version soon.

I agree with the hyper thing. This movie got me all pumped up, kind of like Transformers.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #2855 on: January 20, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
Well I finally beat Half Life 2 and boy, THAT was a pretty freaky game. Especially the ending. I was pretty amazed, except that during some parts of the game, my computer could not take the graphics, and I had to set them to as low as possible.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2856 on: January 20, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »
Wasn't it?! My fingers would always stiffen whenever I heard the howl of a NPC_fast_zombie. In other words, the zombies with the quick headcrabs devouring/controlling them.

Even if I didn't really like "We Don't Go to Ravenholm," there were parts that I absolutely loved, like Highway 17 and the entire game after all or most of your weapons have been confiscated.

« Reply #2857 on: January 20, 2008, 04:30:48 PM »
That game scares the heck out of me. I really hate those alien things that stick to the ceiling and have their tongues hang way down and if you touch it, they stick to you and bring you up to feast. They're disgusting.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2858 on: January 20, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »
Those are barnacles, and they don't really move-- but it can be scary when you've been grabbed by their strongly adhesive tongue and don't realize it at first.

My brother, on the other hand, likes to purposefully get himself entangled so he can beat the barnacles to death with a crowbar. He's pretty resilient to any form of fear but gore. His shocked description of when he first saw the faces of zombies without headcrabs kind of gave it away.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2859 on: January 20, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »
I also do that to the barnacles. Also, the poison headcrab zombies scare me a lot more than the fast headcrab zombies.

I'm happy because of what comes out in Japan on February 21st and is compatible with the DS add-on I might be buying!

« Reply #2860 on: January 20, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »
I met Congressman Keith Ellison. It was a nice little dialog/debate that went on at the event.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2861 on: January 20, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »
Also, the poison headcrab zombies scare me a lot more than the fast headcrab zombies.

Egh, those things. Valve did a great job on the zombie sounds; the fast zombie roar is scary the first few times you hear it, and the way the poison zombie sobs when you kill it is unsettling.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #2862 on: January 20, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
Wasn't it?! My fingers would always stiffen whenever I heard the howl of a NPC_fast_zombie. In other words, the zombies with the quick headcrabs devouring/controlling them.

Even if I didn't really like "We Don't Go to Ravenholm,"
Yeah.. That was the level where my mother came in, surprised to see me laughing manically upon shooting Zombies with circular sawblades and crushing them with cars. We had a talk about "violent games" that lasted for awhile.

As for Barnacles... They were definitely fun to screw around with. Watching Combines getting devoured, throwing objects to "feed" them, using them as elevators, there was only two moments where I was surprised about barnacles, first was when I first saw one, I went to go touch it out of curiosty, wondered why I couldn't move, then I look up and freak out. Second was when I was walking aimlessly, then I stopped moving. I thought it was my game lagging until the screen started flashing red.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2863 on: January 20, 2008, 11:27:49 PM »
Couldn't you control barnacles in Opposing Force? Like, use them as grappling hooks or something? I seem to remember that...

Oh, and Portal gun in HL2. Best thing evar. Seriously, you should try this the second you get The Orange Box.
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2864 on: January 20, 2008, 11:33:11 PM »
It's not worth the effort to me when NPCs can't go-- or more importantly, fall through portals.

Print