Print

Author Topic: Next 3-D Mario Game?  (Read 41816 times)

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 03:04:48 PM »
More games need to be like Super Mario 64 in terms of playable characters. You'll need them all, but you can pretty much play as whoever you like. I would really love to have Yoshi playable in another 3-D Mario game. The next Mario platformer ought to go off of Galaxy's engine, but with normal gravity and set in the Mushroom Kingdom. The Mushroom Kingdom is ever-changing, so it could be completely different from in Paper Mario or Partners in Time... I'd like to see the Toad Town and castle return from Galaxy as the central area, though.

Ive been wishing about the same thing for years now. Id rather have a Mario game that takes place in Toad Town and the castle Instead of them just being in a rpg. Thats why ive been trying to make a Toad Town in Super Mario 64 with Toad's Tools 64! But so far I cant do it with out having to mess up the warp ID's
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 01:19:16 AM »
One wild idea I made:

One make a massing 3-D Coop Mario Game (1-4 players) with Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, DK, or Diddy Kong as playable heroes.  This time Bowser gets mad and hatches a plan to bring in all the villians from past Marios to help him defeat Mario.  He sends them out into the different worlds of the Mushroom Kingdom (Like in SMB3).  Levels be linear with an exit screen.  Enemies appear from different worlds

World 1: Grass World   Boss:  Wario and Waluigi
World 2: Desert World  Boss: Tryclyde and Mouser as a mini-boss
World 3: Ocean World  Boss: Giant Blooper and Wendy Koopa as mini-boss in airship
World 4: DK Jungle Boss: King K Rool
World 5: Yoshis Island: Boss Kamek
World 6: Sky World   Boss: Wart  with appearances by long cast of SMB 2 enemies
World 7: Space World Boss: Taratanga (SML)
World 8: Ice World  Boss: Morton, Lemmy, and Larry Koopa
World 9: Pipe World Boss: Ludwig Koopa (with some technologically advanced attack) Petey Piranha as mini-boss
World 10: Dark World  Boss: Koopa of Course but before him you have to fight the 7 Koopalings and Bowser Jr. in a combo match. 

Wario and Waluigi should have appearances throughout the game as kind of a Knucles Character from SMB 3. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:13:14 PM by volbound1700 »
Go Vols!

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 01:46:54 AM »
Please, please, PLEASE stop telling us your ideas for Mario games. We told you a handful of times before we didn't like them, yet you INSIST on sharing them with us.

I'm not trying to be mean, please don't perceive it as such (I mean it guys, LD, Melee, anyone else who thought I was deliberately trying to be mean to someone in the past). I (and a few others) are just very tired of hearing your ideas. You may like them, that's fine, but we're not the people to talk to about them. You're going to get the same criticism every time you present ideas to us. Don't think it's just you, if other people presented their ideas they'd probably get the same criticism you're receiving from us.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 01:52:33 AM »
I would really hate recurring Wario (and Waluigi, shudder).
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 02:00:21 AM »
It's just not extremely creative. It's just a bunch of names of characters and locations (Some technologically advanced attack? Come up with something!).

I don't know if it would work with a Mario game, but maybe a game without separate worlds would be fun. I still want stylized areas, but not worlds only accessible via painting or whatever. Like in Zelda--traveling from one destination to the next to get the job done. Of course, you would probably get a Warp Whistle that could take you back to any major landmark you've already visited. Maybe ditch the collecting part altogether and just have the player accomplish things, like, save this person, get this item.

Though that kind of game calls for one hero, I still want more playable characters in the next one. Maybe that could be set up with alternate cut scenes. "Oh! Yoshi! What are you doing here? They said Mario would come... It doesn't matter." And you could just play as whomever you want. With unlocking involved. "Thanks, Bro. I thought I was done for back there! I want to do whatever I can to help... how about you take a break for a while, and I'll cover for you?"
>Yes >No

Yeah. I'm no Miyamoto (or whoever does the writing/level design these days), so I won't go into the plot and areas and bosses. As long as future games are still Galaxy-quality, I'll be happy (my ideas will never happen :/).
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 07:35:58 AM »
I think if the next game ever does come out, it should use Mario Galaxy's engine (and hopefully graphics) minus the Star Spinning and spherical planets. But, they could still make a boss fight on a spherical island, like Raphael the Raven in Yoshi's Island.
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »
What about Super Mario 128? That's been behind Nintendo for at least 10 years, and they keep saying they'll release it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 11:30:06 AM »
Meh, suddenly I'm reminded of all those Super Mario 64 II ideas I had back in 4th and 5th grade.

The first one had the lame-o title of "MarioMega" and featured Luigi, Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi and arcade-style DK Jr. as supporting characters. Some of my ideas included each character having their own projectile attack (Mario and Luigi = fireballs, Yoshi = eggs, Wario and Waluigi = spinies) and Mario having a "Ninja Suit" power-up that enabled him to throw shurikens.

Later on I just thought of a more Banjo-Kazooie type setup, with the castle area from the first SM64 as the starting point, and then having ten themed world with ten stars in each, along with a Koopaling guarding the key to the next world a la DK64. I think I had this idea where Luigi was usable for specific missions provided you collected enough green "L" medals to pay him off first.

My last ideas consisted of a Sonic Adventure 2 style setup where you just progress through linear stages interspersed by short cutscenes, and another one with a Crash Bandicoot-style warp hub. That one featured the Big Snowman from Snowman's Land as a boss, and I chose to give him the awkward name of "Mr. Blizzard Snr.", based off of Master Necky Snr. from DKC.

It's also worth noting that all of these ideas had a big final battle where Mario has to use the power of the stars to take down a Giga-fied Bowser, and in addition to all these, I had a plethora of Mario Kart, Mario Party and Mario RPG revivals in between. I was a real idea machine, even though I typically ripped off whatever latest games had come out. Having a whole set of Nintendo beanbag dolls and other toys with which to brainstorm with didn't help.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:32:16 AM by The Chef »

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 10:16:50 PM »
One wild idea I made:

One make a massing 3-D Coop Mario Game (1-4 players) with Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, DK, or Diddy Kong as playable heroes.  This time Bowser gets mad and hatches a plan to bring in all the villians from past Marios to help him defeat Mario.  He sends them out into the different worlds of the Mushroom Kingdom (Like in SMB3).  Levels be linear with an exit screen.  Enemies appear from different worlds

World 1: Grass World   Boss:  Wario and Waluigi
World 2: Desert World  Boss: Tryclyde and Mouser as a mini-boss
World 3: Ocean World  Boss: Giant Blooper and Wendy Koopa as mini-boss in airship
World 4: DK Jungle Boss: King K Rool
World 5: Yoshis Island: Boss Kamek
World 6: Sky World   Boss: Wart  with appearances by long cast of SMB 2 enemies
World 7: Space World Boss: Taratanga (SML)
World 8: Ice World  Boss: Morton, Lemmy, and Larry Koopa
World 9: Pipe World Boss: Ludwig Koopa (with some technologically advanced attack) Petey Piranha as mini-boss
World 10: Dark World  Boss: Koopa of Course but before him you have to fight the 7 Koopalings and Bowser Jr. in a combo match. 

Wario and Waluigi should have appearances throughout the game as kind of a Knuckles Character from SMB 3. 

I am not sure if any of your points where addressing my idea but I will respond to all of them.

Unique?  Yes this is unique.  Name one Mario Adventure Game with 4 player mode.  Name one 3D Mario game with such a long list of unique worlds, characters, enemies.  Basically this one resemble a 3D Super Mario Brothers 3/SMW in that you go to different worlds with unique levels.  "Well that has been done before on the NES."  No it hasn't, SMB 3 was 2d, this is 3D.  Also using that logic, Super Mario Galaxy and Sunshine are clones of 64 since you just collect stars.  SMB3 is clone of SMB1. 
This game would definitely be unique in many ways.  I also originally thought about doing a Kirby's Dreamland as a stage... see my original post but probably will cut that as too much. 
Go Vols!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 11:08:56 PM »
I didn't say unique. I said original/creative. And I was referring to the worlds and characters you named.
A multiplayer platformer wouldn't work out so well... split-screen, or weird camera? Choose. Two players, maybe, but four? Most of my friends would die a lot, too...
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 01:18:14 AM »
Not to mention the levels would have to be ultra simple to facilitate four people trying to go over them at once, with 1/4 of the proper screen size and resolution.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 01:38:14 AM »
Now, let me add to my last comment. It might, might work on the DS. When SM64DS was first announced I thought it might have a mode in which four players all play at the same time and can meet up with each other and interact, help each other, etc. That, I can see working.  Not strictly cooperative, or on the same screen.
It's YOUR problem!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »
Well several other coop games have gotten it to work.

Original?

None of the Marios are original under your definition.  Bowser is the bad guy and kidnaps peach.  You go save peach.  None of them are Original.  However, this one would be fairly original because I doubt most people have played a game today with Wart or Tatanga in it.  A lot of those old games today are neglected. 
Go Vols!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »
I agree that the new games should try to be more like the old ones. And the collecting stars should be done away with altogether.
A four player mode could work, but it'd work best if each player was on their own console and tv. So, it could use online multiplayer, or just connect several Wii's together- kinda like you could do with Mario Kart Double Dash.
Its too bad they didn't make the Wii HD-compatible, though. Then the screen size and resolution wouldn't be as much of an issue.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 05:26:23 PM »
Early SM64DS would have worked, where each person had their own screen. Too bad they changed it.
That was a joke.

Print