Print

Author Topic: Old Koopas VS. New Koopas  (Read 6681 times)

« on: July 25, 2004, 07:55:14 PM »
Let's be honest, we all remember the old koopa troopas.  You know, back when they walked on all fours.  Then all of a sudden in Super Mario World they were bipedal and wore boots and everything.  So here's the question.

Do you think Bowser altered the original koopas by means of magic in order to make them more effective troops? (If so then he didn't do a very good job).  Now everyone who's played Mario&Luigi has seen that the troopeas are still quadrapedal, while the koopa troop walk upright.  So that's a little bit of proof that Bowser's troops have been altered in some way.

Anyway, I'm very interested in what other members of the board have to say about the subject.  And please refrain from saying stuff like "Well, Nintendo decided to go in a different direction."  Let's try and get some in universe theories as to why and how they look the way they do.

P.S. I know that alot of people are going to say "Well, Nintendo decided to go in a different direction", simply because I asked them not too.  So don't think I didn't see it coming.  ;-)

Edited by - kamikaze koopa on 7/25/2004 6:58:47 PM
-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 08:18:15 PM »
I like it when they're two legged creatures.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 08:19:30 PM »
I believe they were called "Creepers", when on all fours.

.tneb ytilaeR dna dewols emiT
.tnew namggE eht no dna no tuB

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 08:23:32 PM »
I'm not saying it's a bad thing that they're bipedal now, I'm just trying to figure out why the change occured.

And I think they were only called creepers in the original Mario Bros. game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 09:37:06 PM »
They were bipedal in Yoshi's Island, thus voiding any possible theories.

The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine.
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 09:52:54 PM »
True.  But then that begs the question, why were they quadrapeds in Super Mario Bros. 1 through 3?

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 12:04:27 AM »
I'd say that it's just the artists fixing up old enemies for the Super Nintendo. The bipedal koopa troopas stuck, and the round goombas didn't.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 05:00:20 AM »
Even though you see round goomba cameos everywhere these days.  ;-)

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 12:35:33 PM »
Where?

MarlieMoo

• Party Star
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 01:25:32 PM »
Hmm, this is interesting. I never really gave it any thought. I think either Bowser used some kind of magic, or one day the koopas just became bipedal.

Submit to the M!
It's Mario's world, I just live in it. :)

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 03:03:11 PM »
You see round goombas in various little cameos every now and then.

There's a cameo of one in the nintendo puzzle collection.  And there was one in one of the GBA SP commercials.  The really interesting thing is that when you see them, their right next to a normal mushroom goomba.  So it's obvious that people acknowledge the existence of both simultaniously.  My thoughts on that are that the mushroom goombas evolved from, well, mushrooms.  Where as the round goombas, since they were seen on the Dinosaur Islands, evolved to look like the berries that the Yoshis eat.  They do have a very similar shape after all.

Anyway, back on topic.  Yeah I've always thought that maybe Bowser might have used magic to enhance them in some way.  Another theory is that the bipedal Koopas are also native to the Dinosaur Islands, since they were first seen there both in universe and out of universe.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 03:14:14 PM »
Being a Paratroopa myself, I remember exactly how it went down. During SMB, SMB3, and any other game featuring the Troopas on all fours, there was a reward going around for anyone who could find Bowser's lost contact lens. Hence, the reason Mario was able to beat him was that he lacked depth perception. Eventually, he got another pair, so we stopped looking.

"A person is a person, no matter how small."- Horton the Elephant
This is a secret coded message.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 03:23:35 PM »
Koopas probably used to walk on all fours, but to be a better army, Bowser probably made them learn to walk erect.

Then again, in SMW, they walk erect, but when you knock them out of their shell, they walk on all fours.  Maybe there is a spell on the shells...

I wish I was in the forest with a dragon right now.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 11:49:31 PM »
That's true, except for the blue koopa troopas.  When you pop them out of their shell, they just walk really hunched over.  

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 12:25:06 AM »
The one difference between the two is the shoes. The quadpedal koopas live in the ghettos. They can't afford shoes with all of the child support and credit problems. The streets are covered with broken glass and garbage. Walking on two bare feet there would be crazy, they'd cut up their feet and have to walk on their forefeet/arms alone. On all fours, they can go twice as far.

The rich koopas all buy fancy shmancy double padded brand name pumps. They can walk on their hind legs because of this. No feet full of glass for those rich snobs.

Let me away from this boulder!
Let me away from this boulder!

Print