Print

Author Topic: M rated Mario games? think their should some?  (Read 13730 times)

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 08:28:54 AM »
Nice you hate "grammer". Now practice your grammar. And much of the Newgrounds Mario content is very low-quality. Mario really doesn't belong in a M-rated game. It loses the style and charm the E-rated Mario-games have.

"My spirit burns like the sun and I shall dry you like a prune."

Edited by - nintendoexpert89 on 7/14/2005 7:31:08 AM

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 09:03:39 AM »
Heh, "grammer."
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »
Groan...I hate Newgrounds! Mario will never be in a M-Rated title. I don't care how many flash artists want this to be a reality, it just isn't gonna happen!

"Rockin Robots, Dr. Light!"~Megaman
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 12:35:52 PM »
They probably refrain from making M rated Mario games because they think it'll teach little kids bad lessons.  Yeah right.  I'd like to shoot the people that think that happens...

The above is a joke.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »
While Mario would definately NOT belong in a GTA game or a hyper-violent Duke Nuken 3D-esque shooter, Mario might be able to appear as an unlockable character in a Mortal Kombat game or something. Mostly because Mario beating up Raiden or Shao Kahn would be radical.

Well, this is where the signature goes...
every

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 02:41:09 PM »
That would never happen, Glorb.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 05:59:36 PM »
Mario in Mortal Kombat?  Yes, it would be "radical", but I doubt many would like it.  There's more mature things, and then there are things that would never happen...Though, I never expected to see Mario playing basketball...I don't know what to think anymore...

You say you want a {Nintendo}revolution, well, you know, we all want to change the world
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 07:31:45 PM »
I saw someone mention the Newgrounds Mario stuff back on page one, and I have to say, that's one of the reasons I wouldn't like to see an M-Rated Mario game.  Pretty much all of those things are made in very poor taste (fart jokes, Matrix-like fight scenes, ect) and if a Mario game were to turn out that stupid, I don't know what I'd do.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for M-Rated games as long as they're M-Rated for a reason that's necessary for the storyline and if it's done professionally.  For example, if the game consisted of the Mushroom Kingdom going to war and Nintendo wanted to make realistic battle scenes that contained the violence and material that you would actually find in that situation, that's great.  But if it's just random fart jokes and blood and guts for the sake of blood and guts, then count me out.

-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 09:22:30 PM »
for those who make Mario flash with sexual content, they really don't have a life, and are pretty sick if they like watching video game characters screw.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 10:42:15 PM »
Fifth, you win. Once again.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 05:15:02 AM »
People want to destroy the Mario franchise by putting him in bad stuff. They should use someone else

Mario Mario he''s our man, If he can''t triple-jump and ground-pound, no one can!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 12:03:50 PM »
You could have a cool FPS deathmatch game where Mario and Co. shoot each other. ACtually, you could just take Unreal Tournament 2004 and replace all the current characters with Mario ones.

Well, this is where the signature goes...
every

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 01:43:24 PM »
Glorb, so far the game ideas you've spoke of are taking other bloody, gory, or "blow your friend to bits" games, and saying to just replace them with the Mario characters.  Firstly, that is a bad idea for Mario characters.  More mature is one thing, but destroying each other is not in any part of Mario.  And B, Nintendo doesn't just turn the characters into Mario and friends anymore, not since I think it was Tetris attack.

You say you want a {Nintendo}revolution, well, you know, we all want to change the world
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »
As much as I'm enjoying this conversation (little bit of sarcasm there), I can't help but notice that we seem to have strayed away from the thread's original purpose.  The purpose was to describe certain characteristics that you would prefer to see in an M-Rated Super Mario game.  Now, since I've participated in pulling this thread off topic, I feel the responsibility to make an on-topic post as well (it's just a matter of principle).  So here goes:

If an M-Rated Mario game were to be created, I prefer that the mature content be in good taste.  Now, when I say mature content I don't just mean mature as is gore, cursing, and sexual references (even though I don't see the necessity for any of them); I also mean mature as in complex.  For the storyline, I would probably want something along the lines of the Koopa Klan actually delcaring war on the Mushroom Kingdom.  The M-Rating would probably stem from cutscenes that show the actual fighting on the battle-grounds (toads and koopas clashing with one another, Gladiator-style).

Maybe (and I do mean MAYBE) the H-word and the D-word could be used, as they aren't as offensive as other profanities, but that would be it.  They should also only be used sparingly, maybe once or twice through out the game each.

In regards to gore, I don't think it's really necessary to put detail into the actual internal organs being spilled.  The style of art used in the Mario games is like a cartoon, and thus usually not detailed enough to show such things.  What I would approve of, however, would be some blood here and there.  I don't mean copious amounts, but perhaps Mario gets a cut on his eyebrow and has a small streak of it running down his cheek; I think that would be ok.  Or even if a character were fighting in battle and happened to get slashed across the arm, a small expulsion of blood would be appropriate.  The blood should also not be too dark; once again, in keeping with the tradition of Super Mario's artistic style, the blood should be rather bright red, giving it a cartoonish feel, as opposed to the dark crimson that it would be in reality (if you've ever watched an anime where somebody gets sliced on the arm or something, then you know what I mean).  I mean, you find that kind of stuff in the Pokemon TV show (not that I'm comparing Mario to it), so I think it would be appropriate for a Mario game.

Now nudity is a tough call to make.  If there had to be a nudity, I would prefer it to be partial and not full frontal.  The character should be viewed from the back and from the waist up, no genitals or buttocks exposed.

And of course, I would like the storyline to embody a sophistication that might label the game as "mature".

In short, my list of things that would make the game M-Rated are:

- Realistic battle scenes between the two warring nations/realistic fight scenes between individual characters.

- Some use of blood, where appropriate, but no full on gore.

- The occasional use of the H or D words (only when the characters are in stressful situations, not in casual conversation)

- A meaningful storyline that crosses the boundry from "kid's game" to "mature game" (by this I mean the kind of storyline that might be found in a Final Fantasy game)

-Partial nudity; the person's back should be the only thing seen.

Ok, so I guess that about sums it up.  Feel free to flame me, but I just felt like I should respect the poster's original intent for the thread since I've already spoken against it.

Edited by - Kamikaze Koopa on 7/15/2005 3:19:43 PM

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2005, 08:05:36 PM »
I think kamikaze koopa has made the best (and I mean most susceptible) example of a Mario M-rated game.

"My spirit burns like the sun and I shall dry you like a prune."

Print