Print

Author Topic: Where is Mario really from?  (Read 8198 times)

« on: August 20, 2005, 12:00:49 PM »
If you've seen the Mario movie, then you know that he was born in Brooklyn. But people are saying that since he has an italian accent, He was from Italy. So where is he really from?

Mario, Mario, He''s our man, If he can''t triple-jump and ground-pound, no one can!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 12:44:44 PM »
Mario movie =/= facts. It contradicts many of the stuff in the games. Same goes for the DiC cartoon.

And no one has ever said Mario is from Italy. Maybe his parents or foster parents were italian but he himself doesn't. He probably derives from the Mushroom Kingdom, wound up in Brooklyn through some warp, then wound up back in the MK sometime between Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.

Kelso: Guys this is a game of Cat & Mouse between me & Hyde. I''m gonna make him admit he''s been going out with Jackie behind my back.
Fez: Guys, what happens in Cat & Mouse if the cat is retarded?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 03:19:53 PM »
The cartoon does have some things in common with thegame series itself, such as Luigi being a coward. But the movie cant be trusted if you REALLY need to know about Mario and Luigi.

" I would suggest that it''s not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art." ~Bill Watterson,a true role model.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 03:36:57 PM »
I thought he was born in the Mushroom Kingdom, warped to Brooklyn, was raised by some Italian New Yorkers until he transported back to the Mushroom Kingdom.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 05:08:31 PM »
I'd like to think he was born in the Mushroom Kingdom, and warped to Italy, and learned English while living in Brooklyn later on.

Because as Charles Martinet said, "His English isn't perfect".
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 06:07:11 PM »
I thought he was from Brooklyn, then one day he and Luigi heard Peach screaming from a pipe on one of their jobs and fell down it which lead to the Mushroom Kingdom. They then decided to stay there since it was better than their own life. I know Mario is stated as not being from the MK originally.

We''re on the moon? You mean, the one that''s up in the sky?
~ Peach having a "blond moment" in Paper Mario:TYD
We''re on the moon? You mean, the one that''s up in the sky?
~ Peach having a "blond moment" in Paper Mario:TYD

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 01:54:34 AM »
Miyamoto first created Mario with the idea that he was an italian carpenter from Brooklyn. Combining that with modern Mario games, I derive the following conclusions of them:

Mario was designed as the absolute Japanese stereotype of an Italian. There is no doubt that he and Luigi are Italian by nationality/ethnicity. There never was a statement that they were from Italy though, so it's safe to assume they're the children of Italian immigrants in Brooklyn.

Yoshi's Island's storyline tends to counter this. In order to try to connect it to the established fact that the bros. are from Brooklyn, it is wise to remember that the Mushroom World is in another dimension. Therefore, it is probable that Yoshi's Island chronicles the bros. as babies BEFORE their birth, as though babies pass through the Mushroom World on their way to be born in our universe. This might possibly also explain why humans also exist in the Mushroom World even though it is a totally different universe. Just a complicated explanation that will take some thought. Yoshi's Island would then probably be an adventure that happens to the Bros. BEFORE their actual birth, which would also explain why they have no recollection of the events when they first stumbled into the Mushroom Kingdom.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 11:14:25 AM »
However, if you take the Nintendo Power comics  into account, Mario and Luigi lived in the Mushroom Kingdom well into their childhood; long enough for Mario to meet Wario.  It's understandable how some people might argue against that being canon, but seeing as how the TV show was made by DiC (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and the movie was made by Lightmotive and Allied Filmmakers, which are both third party companies, the comic seems to be the only Extended Universe thing that you CAN consider canon, since it was the only one actually made by Nintendo and was shown in Nintendo Power itself.

Anyway, to get back on topic: Mario and Luigi seem to have been born in the Mushroom Kingdom; that's a given.  However, since Bowser, and what seems to be the beginnings of the Koopa Klan, were already aware of the brothers existence in SMW2, then it seems only logical that their family, and possibly the Mushroom Kingdom itself, would have feared for their safety.  Thus, they might have transported them to Earth in an attempt to keep them safe until they reached maturity and could return home.  Since Mario and Luigi are also always refered to as Italian and not American, it seems only logical that Mario and Luigi would hail from Italy itself.  PLUS!  If you take into account the fact that Donkey Kong '94 and Donkey Kong Land state that the original DK game took place not in Brooklyn, but in Big Ape City on DK Island, it's possible that Mario and Luigi have never been to America at all.  Unless the other games like Wrecking Crew and such also state that they took place in Brooklyn, which I'm not aware of.

-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."
-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
FIrst of all--I agree with Koopa. I hardy think that a movie with Danny Divito as Mario and a humanlike Bowser and a Luigi without a mustach is canon at all...

I dont think that they (Mario and Luigi)ever stepped foot on earth. In my mind, The Human's left earth because conditions there were chaotic and upsetting. They moved to a close bye moon/planet and several other creatures evolved somehow from the samples they had with them...

So they are not in another dimention anyway. Mario couldn't get back to earth unless he got a space vessel..

And the Italian thing, I think that they simply live in an Italian culture and everyone speaks Italian. Ever notice the Italian like Music in the background in Isle Delfino and the Signs hanging up exlaiming, "Buenovito!"? It just evoved that way after settleing. And they speak Italian-not english. It's just translated for our gameing pleasure. :P

Edited by - Dogss on 9/4/2005 9:00:10 PM

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 02:05:12 AM »
Well, I did more research onto this and came up with the following theory/conclusion if anybody wishes to check it out. It's too long to retype:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=mario&message.id=619784

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 08:51:55 PM »
Did Mario really, officially live in Brooklyn? If it only said that in instruction booklets or other non-game sources, then I don't necessarily take it as "true". I mean, Birdo was supposed to be a boy in SMB2 originally, according to the manual, but later was officially stated to be a girl. Also, I don't think that in the later games the ? blocks and all those other items were supposed to be the people of the Mushroom Kingdom who had been transformed by Bowser; so it seems unlikely that they "truly" are in the original SMB. Similarly, I don't know that the thing about Mario being from Brooklyn really fits in anymore.

_______
j00r 73h r0x0r, d00d!
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 09:24:13 PM »
Neh! That's ignorant thinking Danny Devito played Mario.  He was played by Bob Hoskins.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 06:30:38 AM »
Well, I'm only stating what has been stated in the older stories through media as well as from Miyamoto's mouth. As for it not applying anymore, that can be the case, however it has never officially been proven to be revoked. Did you read the link I sent? That should explain everything. I don't quite want to have to post it here.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 06:23:17 PM »
I thought Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. took place in Brooklyn.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 08:57:06 PM »
I'm for Markio's explanation.

You can put a spoon between two slices of bread and it only sticks out a little bit! –Andy Milonakis
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print