Print

Author Topic: N64 Help  (Read 6325 times)

« on: March 18, 2005, 09:59:35 PM »
I just purchased a used N64. It came without a manual and without games; I'm going to get a game (SM64) soon. Anyway, since there is no manual I'd like to ask some questions about how to use the N64; I have never owned one before.

How do you use memory cards? Is there a way to erase previous data saved on them, which was there before you got them?

I saw in the SM64 manual text on this site something about the control stick, a certain "hand configuration", and the "right position". What does this stuff mean? Is there something special I need to know about the controller?

Do any of the Mario-related N64 games need the Expansion Pack? Do any of them support the Rumble Pak?

If there's anything else you think I ought to know about the N64, please tell me. Thanks.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:02:41 PM »
You only need memory cards for some games, and the usual way to erase the data is to hold the START button as you turn on the system in supported games to bring up the memory card menu.

For SM64, just use your left hand for the stick and right hand for the buttons. I don't think any of the N64 Mario games use the Expansion Pak, but some might use the Rumble Pak.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 3/18/2005 8:02:58 PM
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:45:11 PM »
The only game that uses the Expansion Pak that I can think of is Donkey Kong 64. And I think most everything released after Star Fox 64 uses the Rumble Pak, but my memory might be fuzzy there.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:46:33 PM »
Didn't Ocarina require the expansion pak?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 11:03:31 PM »
Require? I doubt it.

EDIT: Wait, I just realized that Luigison meant the graphics expansion, and not the rumble pack. That was an interesting bit of confusion.

Edited by - Suffix on 3/19/2005 11:10:42 AM

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:29:57 PM »
I believe they made a Rumble-Pak compatible version of SM64 in Japan...

As for the Rumble Pak in OoT, it's not required. There's a special item you can get in the game that will allow you to use it.

Majora's Mask requires the use of the Expansion Pak.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 11:06:20 AM »
for N64, always get the real Nintendo controllers, not the ones that are made by other companies, cuz they stink. I had one and it broke like in 2 days.

"for those about to rock, we salute you."-AC/DC
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 03:35:48 PM »
It's Majora's Mask that uses the Expansion.
If you''''re looking for me,
You better check under the sea,
Because that is where you''''ll find me.

Underneath the Sealab,
Underneath the water,
Sealab,
At the bottom of the sea...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 03:44:22 PM »
> It's Majora's Mask that uses the Expansion.

Thanks.  That's the one I ment.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 08:54:51 PM »
Thanks a lot for your help.

Yeah, I would only get controllers made by Nintendo anyway. But I hope that controller that I got works. The control stick is floppy...

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 11:41:14 PM »
that's it?  I thought that there were more that used it.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 01:22:19 PM »
OK, guys, I have SM64 now, but I just discovered that the control stick on my controller is very hard to use. I have to push on it hard to make Mario run. Sometimes I can't seem to make him run fast at all. But I'm used to the GCN controller. Is the N64 control stick always this hard to use, or do I need to get a different controller?

Oh, and it's also quite floppy in neutral position.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 05:00:32 PM »
Those are obvious signs that it's dead. All my N64 controllers are like that now. It might be possible to fix it, but I've never managed it.

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 03:50:04 AM »
Guys, talking about games using the expansion pack, how did you forget about PERFECT DARK?

When I was in Canada, it seemd easier to find new N64 controllers.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 02:44:21 PM »
The fact Perfect Dark was only just mentioned is wrong...stoopid Microsoft...

only DK64 required the expansion pack, and few were affected by having it.  The only ones I can remember are Perfect Dark and rogue squadron.

I know that no mario game used the expansion pak, and pretty sure none made use of rumble pak.  although, mario kart 64 was able to use certain steering wheel controllers.

Coconut Mike-N-Ikes->Marios preferred candy
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 04:48:33 PM »
Let's make a list of which games used the Expansion Pak, because now you've piqued my interest.

Required

Donkey Kong 64

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Supported

Perfect Dark

Rogue Squadron

StarCraft 64

Madden 2001

NFL Quarterback Club 2000

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes

Battlezone 64

Caesar's Palace

Command & Conquer

Jet Force Gemini

Rayman 2

Quake II

All-Star Baseball 2000

Gauntlet Legends

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

Ken Griffey's Slugfest

Shadowman

Vigilante 8: Second Offense

Hydro Thunder

Road Rash 64

Nuclear Strike

Mortal Kombat: Special Forces

Hybrid Heaven

Star Wars: Episode I Racer

Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000

Help me fill in any blanks or correct any errors, please.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 04:56:27 PM »
> I know that no mario game used the expansion pak, and pretty sure none made use of rumble pak. although, mario kart 64 was able to use certain steering wheel controllers.

Paper Mario used the Rumble Pak.

Print