Apathy
10 (37%)
I don't know and I don't care.
3 (11.1%)
The more I know the less I care.
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Print

Author Topic: Ignorance and Apathy  (Read 8150 times)

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
I'd venture to say that an apathetic hateful person is preferable over an ignorant one.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
Coming back to this thread now, I think I would say that apathy is worse because ignorance is easier to cure (assuming it's actual ignorance and not bias).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
assuming it's actual ignorance and not bias.

A bias is an inclination to present or hold a partial perspective without empirical evidence or knowledge. So I would say that the two exist in an interrelated causal relationship where bias is understood as a consequence of ignorance.

Just my two cents.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
I guess I should have worded that as "assuming it's solely ignorance without bias as a factor."  Bias will often outlive genuine ignorance.

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
Is it really a bias though if there's no ignorance involved? I'd call it a sound stance in that case.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:39 PM »
Even if it's incorrect?

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
A sound stance is correct. An incorrect stance is a bias and is therefore ignorant.

So if I postulate that two plus two equals five, I am biased because my position has no empirical evidence to support it. A biased position would be one based entirely on feeling (at least according to Richard Dworkin).

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
What I'm saying is that ignorance causes bias, but bias, being based only on feeling, will often override knowledge.  Ignorance does not equal bias, though.  You can be honestly ignorant without being biased, and you can be biased in one direction even if you know the other is correct.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »
What I'm saying is that ignorance causes bias, but bias, being based only on feeling, will often override knowledge. 

You're correct in asserting that feelings sometime get in the way of what we know to be true. You're confusing bias with deception though.

Ignorance does not equal bias, though.  You can be honestly ignorant without being biased

Does that person have no worldviews then? Biases are essentially positions that arise out of ignorance.

you can be biased in one direction even if you know the other is correct.

I'd call that being intentionally deceptive. If I understand four to be the product of two times two, yet I claim that it's not, it's not a bias.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:43:35 PM by PaperLuigi »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »
Bias is basically self-deception, so that's not inaccurate.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
A biased person lacks any knowledge whatsoever as opposed to the self-deceiver who is more or less knowledgeable of something yet chooses to deny the truth of it anyway.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 10:55:12 PM »
So it really depends on how you define "biased."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »
Ignorance isn't that hard to cure.
Apathy is a bit harder.
Bias is nigh impossible to cure.
~I.S.~

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 06:52:41 AM »
A biased person lacks any knowledge whatsoever as opposed to the self-deceiver who is more or less knowledgeable of something yet chooses to deny the truth of it anyway.

The word "bias" has nothing to do with ignorance or a lack of knowledge. You can become biased by being ignorant, but the word itself doesn't imply ignorance.

A

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »
Biases lead you to conclusions regardless of the evidence. Bias cannot be cured with information alone, as that new information will only be used as more fuel for the same conclusions. If one means to treat bias with information, it must at least be a carefully-planned surgical strike of information, yo.

Of course, if the person is apathetic, it won't matter what information you give them.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

Print