Print

Author Topic: A victory thirteen years in the making...  (Read 10752 times)

« on: November 16, 2006, 01:42:43 AM »
It took me more than a decade, but I finally beat The Lost Levels tonight :)  I originally got stuck in world 4 and gave up for many years at that point. I later picked the game back up during college and made it all the way to 8-3, and that's where my save game had been waiting all this time. I picked it back up tonight on a whim after having messed around with the game on an emulator, and I finally beat it. I was so excited that I had to come back here and tell you guys (I haven't visited these boards for a long time, good to see they're still going :)

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:50:54 AM »
Date Registered:     February 02, 2001, 12:43:41 PM

Wow.

Welcome back to the Fungi Forums, person who joined a long time ago! :P

btw, congratulations for beating the Lost Levels! I'm still stuck on a level in World 3, and I can't continue because I no longer own any Nintendo handhelds older than a DS. :( Emulator sounds like a fun idea, though...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 06:39:34 AM »
Congratulations, Quasar! I never got a chance to play the Lost Levels, but I imagine they were extremely diffucult. Good work!

Oh, and thanks for coming back! It's great to see the oldies make a return. Will you be returning permanently or just for a little while?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:41:53 AM »
Lost Levels is a great game because you see Super Mario Bros., with minimal additions, and then level designs that look like some cruel joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:00:38 PM »
I'm still troubled by the harsh winds in world 6 (Yes, wind will blow later in the game).

PS: Congrats! Quasar!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »
Awesome. I got stuck on world 6 and never continued. This gives me motivation!!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »
4-4 is by far the hardest level of the game up until 8-3.

Nice work, though. SMB2J is quite a hard game... though I wish more Mario games had that difficulty.
~I.S.~

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 10:20:24 AM »
No you don't.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 04:43:04 PM »
Way to go SushieBoy!  Tell 'em his real thoughts!

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 06:10:10 PM »
No you don't.

Grrr, I hate it when people do that.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 06:15:19 PM »
No you don't.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 07:00:55 PM »
I'm still troubled by the harsh winds in world 6 (Yes, wind will blow later in the game).

PS: Congrats! Quasar!

Don't even get me started on the windy levels.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 07:32:17 PM »
Nice work, though. SMB2J is quite a hard game... though I wish more Mario games had that difficulty.

Agreed. The so called "challenge mode" of New Super Mario Bros. was a complete joke to us expecting a challenge.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 10:49:41 PM »
No you don't.

No I don't..........I mean, yes I do! Now I don't even know my real thoughts anymore.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 11:08:03 AM »
I found the SMBDX version of SMB2J much more...possible? than the SMAS version. From what I've heard (and experienced), the mechanics are different in SMAS, which I find much more difficult. Also, I don't remember those annoying winds being in SMBDX.

I was able to beat SMB2J in DX several years ago, which overjoyed me; however, I've never been able to beat it in SMAS. Then again, I kind of gave up with that before I even got DX.

So, congrats. Beating it and in the SMAS version is quite a challenge.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 11:28:48 AM »
I can never beat it, the data always seemed to erease just by bumping into it by accident.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 03:50:38 AM »
I've never played this game. Maybe they'll sell it as one of those online Wii games one can download.

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 06:06:27 PM »
It's a possibility. Maybe we'll get the really real true reality version of SMB2, from the Famicom.

I hope they don't rule that out just because it's called the NES section.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 07:34:55 PM »
Famicom Disk System*

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 03:18:35 PM »
Im stuck at 8-4, I cannot seem to find a way to beat it. Im playing it on the all star version for the SNES.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 05:30:32 PM »
I have a similar story like this.  I bought Pokemon Blue out of sheer boredom and beat it, years after I had played my first Pokemon game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 08:11:33 PM »
The SMAS SMB/SMB2J physics are messed up; Mario bounces downward after hitting a brick instead of continuing slight upward motion.
SMBDX SMB2J did not have "those annoying winds", although they were supposed to be there.
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »
Hmm, those levels weren't designed to be hard without winds, it should be a breeze.

Pun needed.

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 01:31:57 AM »
You might say that on SMBDX they... broke wind?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 09:28:13 AM »
Even so, the game still didn't stink.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 12:33:13 PM »
Yeah, but I think that the wind really blows.

On a vaguley related note, I still haven't beaten the original SMB. Please, no one spoil the (surely epic and climactic) ending for me!
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 03:54:48 PM »
I haven't beated SMB either. This means I don't stand a snowman's chance in Lethal Lava Land of beating SMB II.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 07:40:41 PM »
I haven't either, so I always do this: Slow down, don't run like the wind through the levels.

Running out of pun ideas!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 08:43:13 AM »
Well, you sure shouldn't play it in Chicago.

Y'know...'cause it's the windy city?
every

Jman

• Score
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »
I haven't beated SMB either. This means I don't stand a snowman's chance in Lethal Lava Land of beating SMB II.

Lethal Lava Land? *Goes to Cool, Cool Mountain and makes a snowman, then brings it back to LLL, where it melts instantly.*

Wow, he was right.  It didn't have a chance.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 01:45:33 AM by Jman »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 05:45:26 PM »
Uh, Tall Tall Mountain wasn't a snow level. You're probably thinking of Cool Cool Mountain.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 06:56:31 PM »
Joke FAILED
That was a joke.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 01:46:11 AM »
yeah, I went back and fixed it.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm just getting dumber and dumber every day.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2006, 09:33:52 AM »
I think it would've melted on the way to Lethal Lava Land.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
Not if you ran fast enough.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 01:44:59 PM »
Snowman's can't run.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »
Snowman is cannot run?
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 05:15:06 PM »
If there's an incline they can roll their body parts.
Senior Mariology professor

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »
Well, assuming this hypothetical snowman is in a state matching that of Steven Hawking's theory of instantanious transportation, said snowman's snow particles would be kicked up into the wind, combining with nearby floating pencil shavings and some green lighting. The particles would hit the light at the right angle and would create a large dimensional rift, which would, theoretically, release a friendly Cacodemon named Jim-Bob, who would carry the snowman to his hypothetical destination, which in this scenario is Glenellyn, Illinois.
every

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 01:19:32 PM »
I beat every single Mario game that I have, and I think I have a lot. The Lost Levels was a challenge at first, but then it got easier and easier. It's hard and better than the original Super Mario Bros. The SMBDX doesn't have the wind like the SMAS version does, though.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 01:24:21 PM »
Why are you bumping all these threads?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2007, 01:30:51 PM »
This is borderline unacceptable.
That was a joke.

Print