Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 164773 times)

« Reply #525 on: December 04, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
But where in that post did you say you had already completed the game?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #526 on: December 04, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »
He said that earlier and stuff. Maybe in other threads.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #527 on: December 04, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »
But where in that post did you say you had already completed the game?

Weegee, I beat the game like 9 hours after coming home with it, unfortunately. I've been playing so many 360 simulators/deep story/super action games (with my Wii being a dust trap) that NSMB Wii was a breath of fresh air... so, especially with it being Mario, I couldn't get enough of it. I tried to take a break, but the most I could sneak in was maybe a couple hours or so before I started playing it again.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #528 on: December 14, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »
I played NSMBW at a friends house, twas awesome! Great theyre keeping 2D alive.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #529 on: December 14, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »
I think I found out why NSMB Wii feels so different.

One of the things is its scroll speed (running full speed) and kinda the time it takes to get to full speed. After playing NSMB Wii and SMB3 & SMW (I have everything from Mario Bros. to SMW on VC), I realized that NSMB Wii's maximum scroll speed is pretty slow compared to the other two.

Looking at it, NSMB Wii's full speed scroll with a Starman is about equal to that of SMB3's/SMW's normal full speed scroll. When Mario maxes out his P-Meter and when Mario is flying with the cape, crap's just absolutely flying by.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #530 on: December 14, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »
I reckon its because there's no "move" you can necessarily perform by running really fast in NSMBW.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #531 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
You know what's kind of funny?  When the game was first unveiled and we saw the Yoshis, the Mario nerd in me couldn't help but think, "Gee, what are Yoshis doing in the Mushroom Kingdom?  They live in Dinosaur Land/Isle Delfino/other places.  What if Nintendo came up with an explanation as to why the Yoshis are hanging around...yeah right."  But in the opening sequence, you can see a present labeled with a Yoshi egg on it, implying that Toad distributed them out along with the power-ups.  Huzzah for that little detail!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #532 on: December 14, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
I reckon its because there's no "move" you can necessarily perform by running really fast in NSMBW.

Yeah, but... why would that affect the scroll speed?

This might not be the thread for it, but I'd like to make a request for some obscure music from NSMB Wii (I always want music that either no one has ripped or uploaded to Youtube... and will never rip, knowing my luck).

You know when you select a Starman from your inventory? It plays a bit of a wet version of the song and there's no percussion or bassline? Yeah, that's what I'd like. When you select it, it keeps playing on the map screen and when you go back to your inventory it continues (albeit much louder).

Would it be possible for anyone to grab that?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:29:10 PM by Trainman »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #533 on: December 14, 2009, 11:28:35 PM »
I have rips of the whole thing. If I'm alive tomorrow or something I'll see if I can remember to look at it.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #534 on: December 15, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »
I appreciate it.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #535 on: December 16, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=108087

Another "we can't animate a skirt" article.

Since this has occurred another time, it kinda raises a flag regarding Miyamoto's "joke". Is it really that hard or is this some running gag we don't understand?

The comments offer up quite a few explanations; read them if you like, but let me condense them down to the three main points they're making (these summaries don't necessarily reflect my personal opinions):

1.) Nintendo, a multi-billion dollar company with tons of resources and experts at its disposal, can animate everything but a skirt. What the hell, Nintendo, what the hell. Note: Please understand that they're not complaining that it's "not realistic" to omit animation for a dress, but rather because them not wanting to animate skirts can change the premise of a whole game, basically.

2.) Skirts are extremely difficult to animate, so leave them alone (yet HAL can do it, and other "skirt" related things have already been animated such as Link's hat in various games, Ganondorf's cape in Smash Bros, cloths in Luigi's Mansion, etc.) and it all circles back to "Nintendo is a juggernaut of a company and they can't find people to do the back-breaking work for them at the very least?".

3.) They're obviously joking about the whoooole thing because it's Japanese culture, and as American/Canadian/British/Australian/etc. English speakers, we are apparently incapable of understanding the "true" meaning of their claims.

As for me, I'm gonna lean heavily towards #1.

« Reply #536 on: December 16, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »
Suuuure, Nintendo.

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #537 on: December 16, 2009, 11:53:13 PM »
It didn't stop them from having Zelda escape from Ganon's crumbling tower in Ocarina of Time..

It didn't stop them from Peach running all over the castle in Paper Mario or being a party member in Super Paper Mario

It didn't stop them from making Peach playable in the Mario Party series, Mario Kart series (Double Dash in particular)

It didn't stop them from putting Peach and Zelda into the SSB series.

How can't they animate a skirt, again?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #538 on: December 17, 2009, 06:11:15 AM »

« Reply #539 on: December 17, 2009, 08:51:37 AM »
Wouldn't Peach have been too hard to implement in NSMBWii anyway? Her proportions are way different than Mario's so it should have been more difficult to design the levels with her in mind.

Print