Print

Author Topic: Nintendo's next console...  (Read 6247 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 30, 2003, 03:24:22 PM »
I just read an interesting editorial at n-archives.com. The staff members of that website were arguing on when Nintendo should release their next system. Now, I want to broaden this discussion here:

Nintendo has current plans to release their next system along side Sony's PlayStation 3, which will probably be sometime in 2005. If they do this, then the GameCube will die out shortly after, since 3rd-party developers will see the newer systems as a better opportunity to develop more advanced games, and won't want to waste their time developing for an older system. However, if Nintendo decides to make their next system backwards-compatible with the GameCube (meaning it will be compatible with all previously-released GameCube games and hardware) then developers might be able to support the system for a few more years. Sony has made the PS2 backwards compatible with the original PS1, and people are still supporting it.

In addition, releasing their next system at the same time as PS3 will only shorten the lifespan of the GameCube to a measly 2 or 3 years. Why would Nintendo want to risk shortening the lifespan of their current system just so they can get ahead of the competition by releasing a newer product? This is not very smart on Nintendo's part.

Even though the success of the GameCube is rather dull compared to the PlayStation franchise, Nintendo should not just give up on it. Give it time; eventually the GameCube will be just as successful as PlayStation 2. It will take some time, but it is definitely worth it if Nintendo is insisting on making a major comeback in the video game industry.

However, if Nintendo decides to release their system after the PlayStation 3, then they will have extra time to focus on further developing their system to match, or possibly beat, the technology-performance of the PS3 (the GameCube far surpasses the technical power of PlayStation 2). But again, if Nintendo does deicide to go with this strategy, then they will be faced with the same problems they had the GameCube: the PS3 will have a ton of success, and when Nintendo does eventually release their next system, they will again have to play "catch up" to match the popularity of PS3. Nintendo definitely cannot risk the support of their fans by having a marketing strategy like this.

So what should Nintendo do: release their next system at the same time as PS3, and further risk having the GameCube fail due to its relatively short lifespan; or should they simply wait until the PS3's popularity increases before releasing their next system to the public?

NOTE: I did not include any comparisons to the Xbox 2's potential launch because I don't really care about the Xbox...

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 1/30/2003 1:36:57 PM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 11:06:02 PM »
I don't think they can afford to wait until after PS3 comes out, for risk of losing any more ground.

I write poetry when I`m not looking.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 08:57:43 AM »
Well, should Nintendo release their next system before PS3? If they do that, then they will risk shortening lifespan of the GameCube down to 2 or 3 years. By that time, the GameCube's popularity would have probably increased, and Nintendo would just be angrying their fans for not giving the GameCube enough time to bulk up on a decent library of games. Why can't Nintendo just wait until the GameCube has built up a decent reputation before releasing their next system?

However, I think Nintendo can further prolong the lifespan of the GameCube if they make their new system backwards-compatible with GameCube accessories and games. Then developers won't have to quit supporting it, since all of the GameCube games being made will also be compatible with Nintendo's new system.

That would be kind of like how the PlayStation 2 is compatible with PlayStation 1 games and accessories... Sony's strategy has paid off well, since developers are seeing that they can still make PS1 games that are compatible with PS2.

I think Nintendo is simply rushing things just to get ahead of the competition... Why can't things be like they were in the past, before all this PlayStation hype? Nintendo is starting to act just as bad as Sony when it comes to competition...

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 1/31/2003 7:05:26 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 01:05:56 AM »
What a dilemma.

That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 07:59:00 PM »
For Nintendo's sake, their new system should come out before PS3.
 n/a

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 02:21:42 PM »
I think that Nintendo does have to keep up with the competition. I also think that they should make it backwards compatable so we can play Gamecube games on it.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 05:39:39 PM »
Well, according to the "Nintendo Nexus Rumor" it can play GCN and GBA games, but it has a high chance of being fake. :-(
 n/a

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 12:50:51 AM »
I fail to see why it would need to play GCN games... like I'm gonna sell my GameCube.. fat chance o' that...

That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 08:12:05 PM »
First of all, there are many *cough*morons*cough* who would sell their GC for the newer system. Also, if the new system is backwards compatible with GC games and hardware, then the GBA games would also in turn be playable on the system, thanks to the new GB Player coming out this summer.

Nintendo definitely needs to get their system out before the PS3 in order to be able to get a lead. Obviously the developer to get their system out first will get the installed base before the other developers can even get the system out.

GWAH HA HA
GWAH HA HA

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 01:01:13 PM »
I don't neccessarily agree with Mecha Bowser's comment:

"Nintendo definitely needs to get their system out before the PS3 in order to be able to get a lead. Obviously the developer to get their system out first will get the installed base before the other developers can even get the system out."

Sony's PlayStation franchise has already gained a much larger fanbase than any other competitor. This mainly due to their "innovation" in video games and their "evolution" of gaming technology (CD-ROMS replaced game cartriges...DVD-ROMS replaced CD-ROMS).

Nintendo will, once again, have a harder time trying to regain their lost fanbase that went over to support PlayStation. Granted, if Nintendo manages to release their next system BEFORE Sony's PlayStation 3, they will have an advantage for having a head start; but it will still take a while to convince Sony's PlayStation fans that Nintendo is still a worthwhile company...

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2003, 02:49:32 PM »
The "innovation" is not what's selling the PS2. It's the developers making games for the huge fan base. The Playstation did change the way video games were done, opting for the CD format over the cartridge and such, but the PS2 has no advantage over the Gamecube or Xbox. Actually, one could argue that the PS2 has the Audio CD and DVD playability and Gamecube does not, so it's better. That argument makes sense if that's what you want. However, the PS2 does not have anything over Xbox, which plays DVDs, CDs, and has far superior graphical capabilities when compared to the PS2, as well as the innovation of being the first console to have a hard drive.

Bottom Line: PS2 was first. More people bought it before GC or Xbox came out. Now GC and Xbox are out, but developers would rather make games for the console with 30 million consumers than the one with 5 million, and therefore the GC and Xbox aren't getting the games that the PS2 is. Thus, people will buy the PS2 because it has the most games. And there are more games because it came out first.

GWAH HA HA
GWAH HA HA

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2003, 07:10:19 PM »
"However, the PS2 does not have anything over Xbox, which plays DVDs, CDs, and has far superior graphical capabilities when compared to the PS2, as well as the innovation of being the first console to have a hard drive."

I'll refute that last bit.  The Sega CD, an addition to the Genesis during the 16-bit era, used an internal RAM drive to store game data.  Granted, it wasn't a very well-known or remembered system, and it had very few good games (though a few great games,) but the fact still remains.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2003, 01:04:23 PM »
All this competition will change once Nintendo releases their next system in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft...

Also, I think the Sega Saturn had an internal hard drive of some type, since it didn't use memory cards to save game data. It's too bad Sega isn't making consoles anymore...I really liked them, next to Nintendo, of course!

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 2/17/2003 11:06:44 AM

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2003, 03:29:46 PM »

GWAH HA HA

Edited by - Mecha Bowser on 2/17/2003 1:33:22 PM
GWAH HA HA

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2003, 03:30:46 PM »
You're right, my mistake on the Sega thing. The Xbox is the first console with a hard drive to make it big.

GWAH HA HA
GWAH HA HA

Print