Print

Author Topic: Chip's Challenge  (Read 6710 times)

« on: June 17, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »
This is actually a musical question, and not really related to game help in any way, but does anybody know where one might find the third tune to Chip's Challenge?

The site vgmusic.com has the two songs (look under the DOS/Windows section), but I recall a third tune that's not listed there that I can't seem to find anywhere else. If I recall correctly, it sounded similar to the Nick News (or Nickelodeon News) opening at the time (1995 pr 1996ish). The level called Amsterdam had this music, and yes, I was playing on the Windows version of the game.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »
I unearthed my copy of Chip's Challenge; I saw only two MIDIs there, and Amsterdam used the first one (Chip01 in the game folder and on Vgmusic) so it doesn't look like there was a third tune.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:10:25 PM »
I am sure there is/was a third tune.. How old is your copy?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I recall the game playing the midi that came with older versions of Windows, canyon.mid.
Go Moon!

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:56:25 PM »
Good golly, I haven't heard that MIDI in YEARS. Yes, I remember in the .ini file that a third music file is used, but it seems like the Entertainment Pack with Chip's Challenge doesn't come with that midi (it probably assumed it'd always be available in one of the Windows folders, since it was a media file that came with... what? Windows 95? And for all we know, the floppy disk it came on was probably packed and couldn't spare an extra 33kb)

The other midi I haven't heard in years is Passport.mid. ...and here it is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:59:49 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:15:35 AM »
I am sure there is/was a third tune.. How old is your copy?

First created/modified 6th of September 1992. But Fifth is right; I manually copied the Canyon MIDI into my Windows folder, and lo and behold, Chip's Challenge played it on the Amsterdam level. It does seem slightly strange Microsoft assumed the Canyon.mid file would continue to be in Windows folders to come...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
Yaay! Thank you guys! I've been looking for that song for ages.. It seemed like I was the only one to remember it.

The other midi I haven't heard in years is Passport.mid. ...and here it is.

Did/Does Chip's Challenge play that one too? I don't recall that one being in my game..

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:42:46 PM »
It doesn't play Passport, it's just the other midi that came with Windows 95 that I liked.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »
Yay!  I was the same.  Let's be in a club together, penguinwizard.

There was also Peter the Wolf, but I think that was a Packard Bell thing.  Anyway, I enjoyed that one as well.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Print