Print

Author Topic: Is there a musician in the house?  (Read 39490 times)

« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2009, 05:36:54 PM »
I've played piano for around 10 years and clarinet/bass clarinet for 5.  Still working on learning to play guitar :P
-------------

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:33 PM »
Most of the songs listed are basic (well, I play them in basic form unless I save other parts of the song to my keyboard or know some chords for the song) since I haven't had any formal training:

Donkey Kong- All songs and SFX
SMB- All songs, and I know the power-up sound, power-down/pipe sound, hitting a ? block sound, coin, time-running-out thing, etc.
SMB2- Just a couple songs
SMB3- All songs, basically, save for just a few. Also, I figured out the stage-flipping-over sound after you complete the level and return to the map screen (for the SMAS version), and the sound of the timer being counted for points.
SML- Overworld, underworld.
SMW- All songs, save for just a couple. Also figured out the death theme, and the SFX when you release a reserved item.
SMK- Koopa Beach, Raceways, few more. Also figured out the notes for the "item roulette." (I like DS' the most since it changes depending on course)
MK64- Luigi Raceway, few others.
MK:DD- Luigi Raceway, couple others.
MKWii- Trying to learn some of the songs, really haven't worried about it. Wanna learn Maple Treeway.
Mario Golf- Toad Highlands, Shy Guy Desert.
MG:TT- Peach's Castle. (I have two other parts saved to my keyboard). Also, menu screen (love that song).
Mario Tennis/MPT: Some songs.
Sunshine: Delfino Plaza, some others.
Galaxy: Observatory, Good Egg, Battlerock, Space Junk, the weird song that plays in the cube thing (where you chase the notes the very first time at Good Egg), and just recently learned Beach Bowl, and Rainbow Mario. (The only thing I need help with on that song is the harp played in the background that is played very fast. No one ever offers any advice or knows what I'm talking about, so please... anything?)
The Sims: One of the "buy crap" songs.
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time: A few (I don't boast that I can play the main theme because that is like the ultimate cliche now). Also, learned the little bit that's played with an ocarina when morning comes.
Wind Waker: Great Sea, Cursed Great Sea, the forest place, Outset Island, a few others.
Rally X: Intro song, main song, bonus song (I combine the main and bonus for a medley of sorts so the bonus portion of the song really sounds like a solo of the main song) Also, found out the sound effect for when you get a Special Flag and it's counting your fuel.

Many, many more. Oh yeah, I learned all the city songs (save for California) on the SNES version of Mario is Missing (aka, the best arrangements of Super Mario World, ever). Also a few from Mario's Time Machine.

If you read that above, you'll see that I have a knack for trying to figure out sound effects from games like power up, power down, reserved item release, etc. Playing those sound effects in conjunction with song just kinda helps it come to life a bit more and reminds people of the most recognizable sound effects in Mario games (for non-Mario-ish people).

My power up sound is made with "Gameboy" sounds on my keyboard (sounds exactly like it, voice #387 on my DGX-200) and speeding it up makes it sound like the Power-Up SFX used for the mini-game Mushroom Titan in MP3.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2009, 09:46:33 PM »
Here's another musician in the house. I play synth/piano, trombone, and I sing. I'm thinking of getting a trumpet to play around with sometime as well.

When I was in high school I used to warm up with Mario songs on the trombone every day (which I memorized and never used sheet music for). People would request Mario songs from me but the overworld theme was everyone's favorite. When I was a junior I had a friend who played saxophone who wanted to play Mario as well. I spent a whole evening transcribing it with him. Within a few weeks he had taught it to about five other sax players and they would all play it together. I know they passed it on to some of the younger guys after I graduated but I'm not sure if those guys passed it on to the folks who would be there now.

« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
@Trainman - Rally-X? Sweet.  I need to perfect the Dig Dug and DDII themes, as they're similar and so simple.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2009, 12:30:52 AM »

« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »
I only really play the keyboard. I took a year of trumpet lessons and this year I will take some trombone lessons.
Also the hand ocarina and hand fartrumpet if that counts.

If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Yeah, man, Rally X. I came up with a little intro for it, also. It's pretty legit. I should definitely record that since I have it sitting here in my piano's memory.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:21 AM »
So anyway I've been in a band for about 3 months now and we got some recordings up on ReverbNation. Give 'em a listen. We kinda suck.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Should've posted this here rather than the Arts Board...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_DKvze60g

TEM

« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »

TEM

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

TEM

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
I will never stop bumping this thread forever.

Number 1 Adopted Son

Print