Print

Author Topic: BEST IN SERIES? Week 11: Races  (Read 6620 times)

« on: April 20, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »
This probably only applies to the 64, Sunshine, and Galaxys, but if you can find another instance Mario "raced" Please explain.
UPDATE: Mario Kart DOES NOT count.

Super Mario Galaxy (1)

Boo's are always cute!

Nominees:
Best bowser/fortress/castle music (1)
Best Mario Sports game (1) (If I put up series, Mario Kart would instantly win)

Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 5(Powerups): Super Mario Bros 3
WEEK 6(Bowser Level):Paper Mario
WEEK 7(First Boss): Super Mario 64
WEEK 8(Yoshi's Role): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 9(Intro): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 10(Ending): Paper Mario

Have a BIS idea? PM Me!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:43:28 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »
Super Mario 64.
Ditto used Machop!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:37:05 PM »
Super Mario Bros. DX had a mode in which Mario raced a ghost to the flag pole.

I assume you aren't counting any of the Mario Kart games.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
If you do accept votes for any Mario Kart games, my vote goes to MKDS for the Missions mode, as it had some good ideas that were executed well for being just a fantasy racing game.

Hoo.. But I digress.. It's hard to say what Mario game really had the best races outside of the SMK series..

Luigison is right, SMBDX has a mode in which Mario races a ghost to the flagpole, so I guess that would work.

New SMB's two player mode has the Bros racing to collect Stars (as in Power Stars), so I like that one a lot.

Mario RPG has the race against Boshi..

Are we allowed to make multiple votes? I'm having a hard time picking just one again.. XD
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
Even though I like Sunshine better than 64 and galaxy, I really liked galaxy's races

so I vote ga...
Edit: after playing sunshine again i realized how cool ll piantissimo is and his races
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:42:26 PM by jmdblazer »
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »
I'm voting SM64 for Koopa the Quick.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:41:50 PM »
I very much enjoyed the 2D races in Galaxy, but didn't like some of the pull star or swimming races as much as the SM64 race against Koopa the Quick.  Overall I think Galaxy has better racing, but SM64 is more memorable.  I can't decide between the two at the moment.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 07:16:57 AM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »
Boos, and not Boo's, because the apostrophe does not belong when the word is not possessive, are always cute!
Not in Sunshine. Boos on booze!

The Thousand-Year Door had some sweet races. There's that snail-koopa hybrid, Ishnail, and there's Screamy (what WAS that guy), it brought back the Doogans that were introduced in Paper Mario, and those big rat guys... there were only two of 'em. It also gave a name to that race of small, mouser-like beings, the Squeeks. So there's my vote. :D

Fine... Galaxy. The pull stars are cool.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:26:25 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
Not in Sunshine. Boos on booze!
LOL/QFT

Luigison is right, SMBDX has a mode in which Mario races a ghost to the flagpole, so I guess that would work.
A sorely missed way to add replay value to NSMB (actually, SMBDX had a lot of cool new stuff in it--even by modern standards for a remake--but I only ever played other people's copies).

Best races? Umm... I wanna say SM64. Few races, frustrating Penguin ones, but good nonetheless in retrospect.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 06:03:18 AM »
SM64... the races (especially the Boo races) in Galaxy were more annoying than fun.

Oh, and:
Best bowser/fortress/castle music
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »
I'm going to go for Mairo 64, with the Penguin races down the Ice Slide.  The penguin(s) were cute and the slide was a pretty good use of three-dimensional stage design back in the day. I mean, those curves!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »
Mario RPG, for Booster Hill.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »
I'm gonna have to again vote for Super Mario RPG. By the way, two more races in that game were the Moleville cart ride and... I guess... when you're scaling the cliff at Land's End (hey, that's a timed event). Of the races in SMRPG, racing Boshi is my favorite since you tap two buttons in rhythm to the music. Booster Hill does seem to have a reputation though...
You didn't say wot wot.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
Ooh, I forgot about the mine cart. Change my vote to a super-vote!
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine

because Il Piantissimo is the man!

(the mailman, nyuck nyuck nyuck *wink*)

-LD

Print