Print

Author Topic: Walkin' on Sunshine  (Read 39017 times)

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:41:03 AM »
US weapon labs in San Francisco has created a laser that can burn as hot as the sun.

I have to say I'm kinda freaked out. San Francisco basically has Death Star potential now. They say it's gonna be used for energy purposes, but I really don't buy it. Thoughts?
No! I don't want that!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:48:34 AM »
In before retarded Internet memes

I just wonder when weapon creation is going to stop. It's dangerous enough with a number of nuclear warheads great enough to recreate the devastation of Hiroshima 400,000 times over.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
That thing is in no way a weapon.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:31:58 AM »
I'm more concerned about what could happen if something went wrong than if we actually intended to shoot across oceans with it (I can already imagine that's not likely). Similar to how I'm slightly more worried about a nuke being stolen or exploding by mistake than I am worried about a nuclear war beginning in my lifetime. Although I may be entirely wrong. I don't know how much force is required to detonate a nuke. I know why they explode but I guess I was asleep when we learned how to set them off in chemistry.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 06:40:46 AM »
I just wonder when weapon creation is going to stop.
It's not, and that's what's going to be the downfall of the human race.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »
ITS COWARD KILLING OVERREACTING TIME

The military already has something called the Pain Ray. I [dukar] you not, it's a ray of energy that causes emotional, physical, and mental pain all over your body, and the bodies of everyone all around you, until you and your buddies surrender.

Besides, some obscure dude named Archimedes, and later another unknown dude named Tesla, both made their own highly functional, highly deadly death rays back in their times.
every

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »
What the ****? As hot as the sun? That's gotta be highly exaggerated.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
If there is anything near that ratio of potential danger, it must be destroyed at once.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
All of you liberal ninnies are going to be upset when we don't have the nukes and lasers to fight off alien invaders.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 11:47:05 AM »
I thought it was impossible for anything on Earth to be as hot as the Sun because the heat would be so intense that it would kill everybody within a so-and-so radius.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:56:15 AM »
It's obvious that (once again) Yahoo! exaggerated something.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:58:26 AM by PaperLuigi »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »
In what way? I'm not denying they exaggerate, but I never read the article. The teaser said "biggest" laser, though...

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »
"A US weapons lab on Friday pulled back the curtain on a super laser with the power to burn as hot as a star."

Yeah right.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
Some stars are hotter than others, I'd figure.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »
I never read the article.
yEeAEeRggUHeGGGGHH!

--

Everyone in this thread seems to be highly confused. Making a tiny point the same temperature as the sun is not the same as making the sun, which is a volume the size of 1,300,000 Earths at that temp (approx). This has nothing to do with weapons and nothing to do with danger. You people need to stop watching so much Spider-Man 2.

Print