Print

Author Topic: Walkin' on Sunshine  (Read 39015 times)

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:41:03 AM »
US weapon labs in San Francisco has created a laser that can burn as hot as the sun.

I have to say I'm kinda freaked out. San Francisco basically has Death Star potential now. They say it's gonna be used for energy purposes, but I really don't buy it. Thoughts?
No! I don't want that!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:48:34 AM »
In before retarded Internet memes

I just wonder when weapon creation is going to stop. It's dangerous enough with a number of nuclear warheads great enough to recreate the devastation of Hiroshima 400,000 times over.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
That thing is in no way a weapon.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:31:58 AM »
I'm more concerned about what could happen if something went wrong than if we actually intended to shoot across oceans with it (I can already imagine that's not likely). Similar to how I'm slightly more worried about a nuke being stolen or exploding by mistake than I am worried about a nuclear war beginning in my lifetime. Although I may be entirely wrong. I don't know how much force is required to detonate a nuke. I know why they explode but I guess I was asleep when we learned how to set them off in chemistry.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 06:40:46 AM »
I just wonder when weapon creation is going to stop.
It's not, and that's what's going to be the downfall of the human race.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »
ITS COWARD KILLING OVERREACTING TIME

The military already has something called the Pain Ray. I [dukar] you not, it's a ray of energy that causes emotional, physical, and mental pain all over your body, and the bodies of everyone all around you, until you and your buddies surrender.

Besides, some obscure dude named Archimedes, and later another unknown dude named Tesla, both made their own highly functional, highly deadly death rays back in their times.
every

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »
What the ****? As hot as the sun? That's gotta be highly exaggerated.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
If there is anything near that ratio of potential danger, it must be destroyed at once.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
All of you liberal ninnies are going to be upset when we don't have the nukes and lasers to fight off alien invaders.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 11:47:05 AM »
I thought it was impossible for anything on Earth to be as hot as the Sun because the heat would be so intense that it would kill everybody within a so-and-so radius.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:56:15 AM »
It's obvious that (once again) Yahoo! exaggerated something.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:58:26 AM by PaperLuigi »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »
In what way? I'm not denying they exaggerate, but I never read the article. The teaser said "biggest" laser, though...

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »
"A US weapons lab on Friday pulled back the curtain on a super laser with the power to burn as hot as a star."

Yeah right.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
Some stars are hotter than others, I'd figure.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »
I never read the article.
yEeAEeRggUHeGGGGHH!

--

Everyone in this thread seems to be highly confused. Making a tiny point the same temperature as the sun is not the same as making the sun, which is a volume the size of 1,300,000 Earths at that temp (approx). This has nothing to do with weapons and nothing to do with danger. You people need to stop watching so much Spider-Man 2.

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »
I had once read that if the sun were reduced to the size of the head of a pin and placed on Earth, its heat would kill anyone within an eighty-mile radius. Unless Uncle John's Bathroom Reader isn't as reliable a source as one might believe, Yahoo must be tragically misinformed again...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
That's a highly enlarged pin you have there.
That was a joke.

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 10:15:02 PM »
I had once read that if the sun were reduced to the size of the head of a pin and placed on Earth, its heat would kill anyone within an eighty-mile radius. Unless Uncle John's Bathroom Reader isn't as reliable a source as one might believe, Yahoo must be tragically misinformed again...
Oh, so that's where you heard it, too?

Also, to the smartass who changed my CT, I didn't read the article (and, in the past, many articles like it) because I don't want to promote Yahoo's habit of having stupidly innacurate or vague teasers that force you to read the whole thing. Besides, it didn't seem all that interesting at the time.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
I blame memes for desensitizing the internet population to lasery threats.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »
The new laser:

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »
Get out.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »
I feel something of a mutual obligation to defend my fellow internet meme from being ousted at the hands of a certain Bird Person:

IMMA BUILDIN MAH LAZER

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »
Memes suck
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »

As it happens, "Memes suck" is an meme in itself. Go figure.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 06:03:22 PM »
On the contrary and given the irrelevance of the text in respect to the image in that macro, you're wrong again and someone using that site has some sense and trolled. You have been played.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »
Well, it was the first thing that appeared upon Googling "Memes suck". So bite me. Rawr.

Anyways, the laser story appears to be sprouting up in second-rate news sources worldwide, if that means anything to anyone.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
Get out.
Hey, Turtlekid brought it up. (for the record, I don't really like that meme, anyway)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »
Memes will be the death of humor. I never want to get into a time machine, for fear of walking into a future where I can turn on the TV and find an 80-year-old Conan O'Brien sitting in a wheelchair shouting IMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR while the audience laughs uproariously.
every

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
Memes will be the death of humor.

Uh-huh, yeah, I'm sure.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »
I'm sure too. Only not sarcastically like PL.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
The problem with memes is that they thrive on contemporary cultural references which will be obselete in five years. In a decade from now, nobody will know, let alone care, about "SPARTAAA", "Why so Serious?", All Your Base are Belong to Us", motivational posters or even yours truly. Of course, critics may simply be opposed to memetrics because supporting them expresses conformity to the greater social zeitgeist.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
They become obsolete because the 12-year-olds (or at least teenagers with minds similar to those of 12-year-olds) who enjoy them no matter how repetitive they get drive them to the point that they are not funny within a week. And there is no end to them because by the time you finally outgrow Internet Memes, there are still little kids finding the Internet every day and finding the Zero Wing dialog hilarious.
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
Of course, critics may simply be opposed to memetrics because supporting them expresses conformity to the greater social zeitgeist.

Orrrr maybe we don't think they're funny.
No! I don't want that!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »
Zero Wing is still hilarious.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 07:44:55 PM »
Only if it's your first time hearing about it.

Actually, that does have some truth to it, though. Older memes, like All Your Base (mostly because there's more than one funny line), Chuck Norris facts (due to the endless stream that's still going, which still manages to crank out a few funny ones), and even Rickrolling (if used creatively, which is becoming increasingly rare), are far funnier than the repurposed movie quotes that seem to comprise %80 percent of modern memes. Basically, you can tell if a (new) meme is worth having around if you can present it in its proper context (or lack thereof) to a non-Internet-savvy person and make them laugh, even a little bit.
every

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »
Be mindful that some of the cases mentioned above have transcended the barriers of memehood to become timeless, iconic figures in the pantheon of internet history. Pedobear, Cockmongler and Chuck Norris needn't ever worry about falling out of contemporary sociological favour. Perhaps memes also enjoy success because only its originators and those "in the know" of its context get them, leaving the rest to be subjected to perplexion, a la the poor souls who were publically humiliated in Borat.

...That hardly made any sense whatsoever, did it?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
If something's funny, I laugh at it.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »
Show me one non-nerd who knows who Pedobear or Cockmongler are. Hell, even I don't know who Cockmongler is.
every

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »
The vast majority of memes are only popular amongst nerds in the first place. By the way, admitting that you don't know who Cockmongler is on an internet forum is the equivalent to asking who Elvis Presley is at a music shop.

Richard C. Mongler, better known as Cockmongler.

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
Weegee, nothing you say will convince the other members otherwise, okay? If they hate memes, no amount of reasoning will do you any good.

As for the people who hate memes, please accept that some of us find them funny. It's not the end of the world if someone likes something you don't.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
...and ending the argument altogether is the solution?
"it's always the present"

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »
THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT SHUTTING THE HELL UP ABOUT MEMES
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:35:48 PM by SolidShroom »

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »
THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT
THAT'S A MEME

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAA AAAA AAAAAAAAA AA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A AAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA AAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAA.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
So, those lasers huh? Pretty cool, they are.
every

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »
Nobody cares about the lasers anymore.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »
Richard C. Mongler, better known as Cockmongler.
I would've posted that, dangit! Curiously, Encyclopedia Dramatica and Uncyclopedia were now bereft of pictures...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 04:56:12 PM »
Jeez, get a room seperate topic. Bring all this meme crap somewhere else, please.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 05:21:26 PM »

YOU'RE LOJICK BE IMPECKABULL. T3H URGUMUNT MUSK KONTINUE.

MEMES ARE [insert opposite of what you would have said] AND THAT IS THAT!!

"O HAI GUIZE I INVINTED MEMEZ LOL!" ~ Richard Dawkins, c. 20093

"O MAH GOURD U GUIZE DIZ BE JEST TOO WEERD." ~ Richard Watson??/

Now, about that laser. I bet it'd be fun to annoy cats with. Is it government-funded? Because the government of California kind of has more important things it should really be worrying about now, like how they're basically bankrupt and all the people they get their taxes from are leaving and the more they raise taxes to try and make up for it the more people are going to leave.

If it's private, then bully for them and full speed ahead, but the government should be spending tax dollars more prudently for now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »
I would've posted that, dangit! Curiously, Encyclopedia Dramatica and Uncyclopedia were now bereft of pictures...

Err, the ED article has pictures out the wazoo, while Uncyclopedia doesn't even have an article about the guy THE LEGEND.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
You guys aren't even trying anymore.

I'm okay with some off topic discussion, but this is unacceptable. I'll leave this open, but the following posts better be reasonably related to the thread's topic.

Not all memes are bad, but the way you guys seem to use them certainly are.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 07:37:20 PM »
So... CrossEyed7 makes a huge ridiculous post and you lock the topic? Block him for god's sake.

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »
"Memed and beaten"? Nice one.

Anyways, this thread seems to have run its course. The locomotive of laser-centric discussion has been derailed and has now been chugging consistently further away from the original discussion since the third post on Page two.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:08:26 PM by Weegee »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 09:07:02 PM »
Err, the ED article has pictures out the wazoo
Oh, uh... you know what, now that you mention it, I think I got the two confused. I think I actually just ran out of time trying to find the article... it was early this morning, I can't totally recall.

So, anyway, lasers... Did they build this just 'cause or was there something they really wanted to burn a hole in that was just too strong?

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 02:35:08 AM »
Maybe you could find out why they built it IF YOU READ THE ARTICLE.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2009, 07:02:38 AM »
If I can figure out everything by reading it then what the hell is the point of this thread?

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Discussion and reflection.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
So... CrossEyed7 makes a huge ridiculous post and you lock the topic? Block him for god's sake.
Hey, you're the one who didn't want the meme discussion to end. I again draw the attention of the court to:

Besides, there were some semi-topical sentences at the bottom of my post if you stuck around till the end.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
I wasn't talking about meme discussion, I was referring to PL's policy of basically saying "Ok guys you can't change each others entire view points so you should probs stop arguing." What he was talking about was irrelevant to me at the time.

Either way, the last thing I expected was for you to mock me in Caps Lock.

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
Policy? Hey, if you guys wanna continue arguing about memes, be my guest. I just get tired of people calling something that brings me joy stupid/unfunny/the death of humor/etc.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:05:26 AM by PaperLuigi »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »
I've got issue with three things here: The fact that this topic could get derailed so hard by one (actually reasonably funny) reference, Weegee trying so hard to look like a kewl ironic edgy internet hipster by blinding us with his knowledge of memes every three feet, and the fact that you folks are so unwilling to just make a frickin' seperate topic.

Also,

stupid/unfunny/the death of humor/etc.

That was me (at least the DOH part), and I sand by that opinion.
every

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »
I "sand" by my opinion that you're wrong.

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
...Glorb, you mean that I'm not a kewl ironic edgy internet hipster? ;~;

Well, if anyone actually has comments pertaining to this thread's original subject, you'd might as well speak now or forever hold your posts.

Print