Print

Author Topic: technical: gamecube on computer monitor/speakers?  (Read 3956 times)

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
It's bugged me for a while that I can't play GameCube in 16x9 ratio with progressive scan.  I have a 1024x768 computer monitor.  It isn't a 16x9 ratio monitor, but it is my understanding (someone might correct me on this) that running a 1024x768 in letterbox mode with bars on the top and bottom of the screen still gives a higher resolution than GameCube processes in 16x9 mode.  So here's my question: is there any way to hook up a GameCube to a computer monitor (with a CRT connection)?  How?  What sort of adapters would I need?  If it is possible, will it actually make the games look any better, or will they look weird and distorted?  And how, if it all, does progressive scan mode come into all of this?

Also, I'd need to figure out how to hook up the sound.  I'm currently using 5.1 speakers on my computer.  I'm pretty sure GameCube supports 4 independent speakers, but with my current GameCube-TV setup I only get stereo sound.  How would I hook up GameCube to my computer speakers to give me surround sound?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 08:50:31 PM by Hirocon »

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:53:49 PM »
If you're interested in only playing Progressive Scan games, then you could do what I did and purchase a GC digital out->VGA adapter.  Progressive Scan is 640x480, so if your monitor is LCD, then the quality will be affected by the interpolation of the LCD screen, otherwise it should be good.  If you're interested in playing non-Progressive games, you have two options: purchase an upscan converter that will convert 480i to 480p or use a TV-input card on your computer (assuming that is also hooked to the monitor).  You may also want to use an upscan converter while preserving Progressive output.  In that case, you'll need GC digital component cables (hard to find since they're discontinued) as well as an upscan converter.  If you're lucky, you might only need the VGA adapter: it's possible your monitor supports non-Progressive games already (my old CRT did not, but my LCD does).  Depending how much equipment you end up needing, it might be best to wait for Revolution at this point...

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 10:19:40 PM »
My monitor is LCD.  I'm not going to bother tracking down a bunch of discontinued adapters just to get an interpolated image.  I'll probably just wait until Revolution to sort this all out, and maybe by then I'll be able to afford a real HDTV.  Thanks anyway.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 08:22:04 AM »
Woah, lots of info.

Er... I don't fully understand Mß's explanation this early in the morn', but I do have a thought:  Why not just use this?
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 04:02:40 PM »
1. The plug won't fit.
2. You wouldn't have progressive scan.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 11:04:47 PM »
Hrm... How about that plus this, then?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 11:58:54 PM »
Nope, still the wrong plug.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 12:03:43 AM »
Wait just a second... Which end is wrong?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 12:43:12 AM »
As far as I can tell, both ends... the RGB side is the wrong gender and the other side is a PC88 plug instead of a VGA plug, and it also might be the wrong gender; I have a hard time telling with the quality of that picture.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 05:55:16 AM »
Hey, no fair--the file name gave that away.

Okay:  The first one.  Plus, this.  Then, this.  What happens?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 05:59:17 AM by DeadAwake »

Print