Print

Author Topic: SMRPG- The best Mario game for Super Nintendo?  (Read 5985 times)

« on: February 23, 2001, 09:19:55 PM »
Who really thinks so? I mean... They only had Koopa Paratroopas, no normal Koopa Troopas (Unless you count Terra Cotta and Terrapin as Koopa Troopas...). And they didn't have Kamekku-sama (Kamek) in the game, they just had "Magikoopa". And what's the deal with "Spikey"? Why not just leave the name as "Spiney"? And Shy Ranger, what is up with that thing? (Er, it's a golden Shy Guy that you'll occassionally see if you fight Pirahna Plants, only, it runs away in the very beginning of the battle. [HP: 300, Attack: 100, Defense: 80 EXPpts: 60 ~ SMRPG Guide]) Er, well... that was the end of my rant. Answer my question, is it the best Mario game for SNES? No, really, I really want to know.

<center> Kinnichi wa. I am McMoon MagiKoopa, Kamekku-sama's sochi (son). I am a master of Koopa sorcery, and I am quite wise for my age. And if you call me grandpa, I will royally kick you punk behind. Heh, heheh... (c) YoshiDude.
Konnichi wa. I am McMoon MagiKoopa, Kamekku-sama''s sochi (son). I am a master of Koopa sorcery, and I am quite wise for my age. And if you call me grandpa, I will royally kick your punk behind. Heh, heheh... (c) YoshiDude.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2001, 09:27:13 PM »
I actually find both SMRPG and SMW2: YI to be equally the best Mario Games ever, besides Super Mario Brothers 1, a classic and still lots of fun to play on my totally outdated, moldy ol' NES. O.o()

Kinnichi wa. I am McMoon MagiKoopa, Kamekku-sama''s sochi (son). I am a master of Koopa sorcery, and I am quite wise for my age. And if you call me grandpa, I will royally kick you punk behind. Heh, heheh... (c) YoshiDude.
Konnichi wa. I am McMoon MagiKoopa, Kamekku-sama''s sochi (son). I am a master of Koopa sorcery, and I am quite wise for my age. And if you call me grandpa, I will royally kick your punk behind. Heh, heheh... (c) YoshiDude.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2001, 10:50:45 PM »
Well guy, here's my personal ranking of SNES Mario games.  [from best to least best]

1. Super Mario All-Stars -well, duh :P

2. (Tie) Super Mario RPG & Yoshi's Island -though All-Stars is better, I probably like these more

3. Super Mario World - C'mon, you can't forget this one!

As for overall best Mario games, I'd have to say: [in no particular order]

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 -The biggest, brightest jewel on the NES crown

2. Yoshi's Island- Personal favorite.  Love the character design.  Egg-chucking rules. :D

3. Super Mario 64- Revolutionary in so many ways its a little scary.  Set the mold for ALL 3-D platformers.  Still fun after five years.

Keep in mind, these are all my opinions.

Boom sucka!

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"

=ßïllý ¢hîll¥=
Haters gonna hate

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2001, 12:21:03 AM »
SMRPG was alright, I guess. I just didn't like how they made up 98234 wacky enemies that, in most cases, had nothing to do with previous Mario games. Fortunately, Paper Mario did the exact opposite, and introduced only a few totally new enemies.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2001, 01:25:27 PM »
1. Super Mario All-Stars-I don't know if the re-issue really counts, 4 games in 1 gives it a sort of unfair advantage, plus anything with Super Mario Bros. 3 is a shoo-in.

2. Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World-By far the best "true" Super Nintendo game, a Mario revolution!

3. Super Mariokart-Not just the best Mariokart game, the best racing game period!

4. Super Mario R.P.G.: Legend of the Seven Stars-Though not as "techy" as Super Mario 64, it has great sort-of-3-D graphics and shows that Mario can translate well into role-playing format.

5. Wario's Woods-Finally, Toad in a major role!  I'm not that big on puzzle games, but this is just fun!

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2001, 02:30:15 PM »
I'd have to go with Mario4 since it was the first game that introduce the best charector of Super Mario, Yoshi!

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2001, 04:34:01 PM »
Deezer- Yeah, it cheeses me off Mario RPG has 98,234 new guys popping out of nowhere, especially since these guys kept the Great Wario from being in there, but I liked [most] of the new baddies.  Though despite liking these guys, I really don't have any trouble seeing them go [except Boshi and Smithy].

And yes, its absolutley ludicrous that the 98,234 new guys also kept out the Mario badguy mainstay, the koopa troopa.

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"

=ßïllý ¢hîll¥=
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2001, 06:05:17 AM »
I personally preferred Super Mario World 2. Super Mario World was AS good as SMRPG. Marvellous.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2001, 08:12:44 AM »
A tie between SMW2: YI and SMRPG for me. Super Mario World came in close though. I still like the old game.
Did you meet my Siberian Monkey?

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2001, 10:48:05 AM »
Well... I personally loved Super Mario World! It had all the things you could want in a Mario game: lots of hard and fun enemies, Yoshi for the first time, the return of the Koopa Kids, and the first time you see Bowser actually flying! That game rocks!

Although, there was one little problem with that game that I can never figure out: Why did it only have 10 items (Super Mushroom,1-up Mushroom, Cape Feather, P-Switch, Switch Cap Blocks, ?-Blocks, !-Blocks, Rotating Blocks, Star, Coins) ? Super Mario Bros. 3 had over 20 items and that was the best Mario game ever made! So how come it's successor had so few items?

Another favorite Mario game of mine is... Super SMASH Bros.! Well, it's technically not a Mario game, it's more of a Nintendo fighting game, but it DOES have Mario (and Luigi for you die-hard Luigi fans...)!

-<~I am the all-knowing Mario Master!~>-
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2001, 01:42:51 PM »
No contest. SMWII beats the pants off SMRPG hands down. BTW, I also think Paper Mario is better than SMRPG.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2001, 04:35:19 PM »
Mario Maniac-I totally agree about "Super Mario World."  It was great, but they discvarded a lot of cool stuff that was in "Super Mario Bros. 3" that would have made it even better.

There should've been a Toad's House where you could get stuff like Tanooki suits and Hammer Bros. power plus different colored Yoshis.  Or a new mini-game to win "Super Mario Bros. 3" items.  Or...okay, now I'm just fantacizing again.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2001, 05:02:31 PM »
SMRPG hands down...but I'm an RPG freak so go figure :)

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2001, 07:35:10 PM »
i think smrpg is THE best game for the snes, no contest.

(enter a witty comment or phrase here)
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2001, 07:35:11 PM »
it had 3d graphics, exellent gameplay, and it was made by the rpg king, squaresoft. it really pushed the snes to the max.

(did that make me sound like a nintendo power writer?)

(enter a witty comment or phrase here)

Edited by - daFunkster on 2/27/2001 5:37:50 PM
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Print