Print

Author Topic: The advancement of Soceity  (Read 1728 times)

« on: October 15, 2001, 02:27:14 PM »
       (Cross-posted from the MR Forums board. Yes, I am Tamahashi. I thought that this ramble essay of mind was quite englightining, and i've been looking for several ways to share it)
    Lol...Bear with me here, this ramble is sort of cluttered and I'm only 14, so some of this may simply be farfetched or even impossible. I was thinking lately, how can we further improve our species? Obviously, things like space travel, destroying disease, and to gain knowledge lists up there, but I Thought of something else. What if we could come up with a better way of passing on information from generation to generation? If The parents had a child and passed down their information and observations and memories and such down to the child, that child would not need to go through so many years of school, and thus have more time in their lifetime to gain more knowledge to pass onto their children rather than relearning information the previous generation already knew.
     Of course, this has some problems. First of all, this could eventually lead us into a negative utopia. In my mind, Society can either be balanced, Lean more towards the Player Piano future (Where Machines have replaced humans) and the 1984 future(In which The government has extreme power, and individualism is destroyed). Gaining information so quickly can easily point us towards the path of the Player Piano future.
       So, to get away from that possible outcome, we have to think to ourselves, "what negative effects will this invention have on our society?" (Will this invention destroy the individual? Will this invention back fire and kill us all? Is it worth building? What effects will it have on future generations?) and other things, always causing us to check and reflect. Another problem with this, is memory. If we could actually get inherent memories and information, than we might eventually be able something to make it easier to retrieve our compressed information. Either that or have periodical "refresher courses".
       Then, I thought to myself, How could we, today, begin our movement towards this goal? Some Super scientists could study the brainwaves patterns and try to make equivalent electric patterns to send into the neuron system. If this is accomplished, we could simply have a machine that plugs into your brain and have "Download times" where large amounts of information are implanted into our minds. Thus, compacting the education time needed, allowing us more time to learn the information we need to reach our goal of inherent memories.
       But then, I realized, this very device which would allow us to learn so much so quickly, could easily be turned against us if a 1984 future were to emerge. This same device could simply overpower the brain's signals and somebody could control the individual every movement. Even worse, it would be difficult to un-install the device from it's owner, because (assuming the device works) the body might become reliant upon this, and suffer from a massive withdrawal which they  might not be able to survive.
       That's really all I've got to say on the matter. I really find this intriguing. Is there any sort of job specializing in advancing society? lol, probably not...I look forward to hearing your responses.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2001, 03:25:32 PM »
u right

It's-a penalty kick!

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2001, 04:46:19 PM »
If invention is capable of destroying a person in the context of making them useless to a society, that person deserves being destroyed.

... In other words, nobody will ever be "destroyed" by invention; I would not ever truthfully say that a person deserves to be destroyed.

Print