Print

Author Topic: Life on Mars Dissertation  (Read 9337 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »
http://exopolitics.blogs.com/exopolitics/2008/12/life-discovered-on-mars.html
Direct link to paper.

Yeah, it's probably imagination run wild... but that's a big imagination. And a lot of on-hand time.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:04:09 PM »
Meh...if there's life on Mars, then there's life on Mars. It's merely a fact of life that hasn't been revealed to the public yet. [Edit], some people thought bears were shocking back in the day, but we certainly don't see them that way now.

Then again, this still sounds a little too overblown to be true. All I'm saying is that when or if life actually is discovered on another planet and revealed to the public, people better not freak. Ignorance is nice (I'm being slightly sarcastic) for a while until people discover the truth and totally freak. It's in human nature to get scared when something out of the norm happens, when really, strange stuff has been taking place since the beginning of the world.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:26:41 PM by Sapphira »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »
Meh...if there's life on Mars, then there's life on Mars. It's merely a fact of life that hasn't been revealed to the public yet.
Agreed. We humans won't be satisfied 'til we stumble upon a planet that's 10 times more threating and superior than ours, which would either end the human race or enslave it. You know what they say: Curiosity killed the cat. Some stones are best left unturned. For humanity's sake.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
Um...that's not what I was saying. I was saying that it hasn't been revealed yet, but when it (or if) it is, we shouldn't freak. That doesn't mean we should be left in the dark by any stretch of the imagination.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:04:19 AM »
Um...that's not what I was saying. I was saying that it hasn't been revealed yet, but when it (or if) it is, we shouldn't freak.
Oh, I see.

That doesn't mean we should be left in the dark by any stretch of the imagination.
That's true. But I think there are times when we become too curious and pay for it. That's all. I'm not saying "don't be curious" I'm saying don't be too curious because there are repercussions. That's all. I'm too tired to further explain this, sorry.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:51:27 AM »
If aliens could work together well enough to have working space expeditions I don't think they'd be interested in war with backward people like humans.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »
People don't realize that space is huge. Seriously, freaking, massively huge. So huge it makes your head spin, and phrases like "speck of dust" and "grain of sand" don't even begin to describe how insignificantly tiny humans are in proportion to the rest of it.

So it strikes me as funny that there's even any controversy about the whole thing. There is life on other planets. Period. It would be impossible for there not to be. It's just incredibly spaced-apart. The other planets in our solar system probably do have, or once had, life on them. The nearest intelligent life is probably so far away that no one on this planet will ever hear, see or know of them, ever, and vice-versa. People's perceptions about space have been too distorted by TV and movies.
every

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »
I thought this would be about the TV show. I'm disappointed. :(

However, after looking at this, I'm no longer disappointed.
Everything in the pictures looks like they're really stretching it, though, except for the "humanoid female". A lot of the stuff didn't look like anything, and the stuff that vaguely did is more than likely pareidolia, like how we can see shapes in the clouds. Interesting, nonetheless.

When it comes to extraterrestrial life (especially humanoid), I suppose my view is the equivalent to (empirical) agnosticism. I haven't seen enough evidence to support or disprove it.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
Dude, what's with the language? ~Sapph

COMMUNISM

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
Hey, Sapph's language-usage edits are welcomed if it means she's active.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »
Really?
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »
Seriously? Seriously? I said that nearly 3 weeks ago and she feels the need to censor it?

I edited it. If I get banned for disobeying the only mod who censors posts, then so be it.

EDIT: Yeah, kinda let my pride get to me. I apologize for my actions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:30:03 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
Good thing she's not active enough to find where I posted that weenus. :)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:28:42 PM »
Re-edit a swear into a censor-edit post again, PL, and you won't be able to post anymore.

I censor profanity I come across, regardless of its age. Someone needs to clean up the filth.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »
Filth? It's not like I was using the word in anger.

None of the other mods seem to care about profanity anyway. I love you as a sister under Christ Sapphira, but none of the other mods care. Is it really that big of a deal?

If you want to ban me because I edited the censor back into a swear word, then go ahead. Getting around the censors is against the rules and you have every right to do it. You really have your work cut out for you though if you want to censor everyone here by yourself. A lot of people cuss in there posts, and there have been several crude (albeit hilarious) pictures posted since you've been gone.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:13:35 PM by PaperLuigi »

Print