Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 130131 times)

« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
Let's just say I find it more comforting to believe that life isn't simply a test.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

foxmccloudfan

• Guess who's banned!!!
« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »
i see what ur saying, and i sorta agree...
Judaism rox(like FOX)
Guess who's back!!!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »
WHAT'S GOING ON
That was a joke.

« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2010, 01:11:19 AM »
Hell man I don't know

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:29 AM »
so not atheist, just not commited to any one religion?
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you implying that atheism is a religion.  If so, I think atheism is a religion as much as not collecting stamps is a hobby.  Or are you simply trying to ask if he's agnostic?  Now that I reread your post the later seems more likely. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2010, 07:55:07 AM »
I just know I'm probably opening a can of worms that I'll later regret opening, but...

Let's just say I find it more comforting to believe that life isn't simply a test.

You'd prefer to think that a few decades on this miserable rock are all we're gonna get?  I honestly think if this were all there were to life, then there'd be no point in living.  Where do you get your motivation (especially since you still seem to hold to a moral code)? 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »
Miserable rock? The earth is pretty cool if you ask me.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »
What about motivation to experience life and improve one's self? I really don't think life on planet Earth is that terrible of a condition. Don't assume that just because you can't conceive of any other reason to live besides getting into an afterlife it means that no one else can find good reasons to do things. Also don't assume that I am completely at odds with the notion of an afterlife or anything.
That was a joke.

« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
I just know I'm probably opening a can of worms that I'll later regret opening, but...

You'd prefer to think that a few decades on this miserable rock are all we're gonna get?  I honestly think if this were all there were to life, then there'd be no point in living.  Where do you get your motivation (especially since you still seem to hold to a moral code)? 

Miserable rock? The Earth is a beautiful, near-magical place. There are amazing creatures and plants everywhere. Color and shape combine into beautiful combinations. By science, yes. Science isn't just boring crap. (Which I actually don't think at all)

And where do you get motivation? How about from the fun of life? You're a depressing invidiual if you're telling me that the only reason you're living is so you can go to Fairyland. Life is great. Except for evil, (Which could be debated) life is great.

« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2010, 04:08:13 PM »
Heaven doesn't sound all that cool anyway, seeing as how I'll be sharing it with people like Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robinson, Peter Popoff and Tomas de Torquemada.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »

Miserable rock? The Earth is a beautiful, near-magical place. There are amazing creatures and plants everywhere. Color and shape combine into beautiful combinations. By science, yes. Science isn't just boring crap. (Which I actually don't think at all)

And where do you get motivation? How about from the fun of life? You're a depressing invidiual if you're telling me that the only reason you're living is so you can go to Fairyland. Life is great. Except for evil, (Which could be debated) life is great.

Science had nothing to do with the creation of the earth, no matter how you look at it.  Science is the study of creation, which means it originated after creation.  

Also, maybe I should rephrase.  I wouldn't live the same way  if I didn't believe what I believe.  I'd sleep around, do drugs, and commit horrible crimes that would benefit me, all in the spirit of having fun.  Why should I care about the pitiful consequences this place has to offer?  The worst thing they would be able to do to me is execute me.  So what?  I had a good run, right?  I followed the evolutionary imperative to look out for myself, right?  I was going to go eventually anyway.  At least I had as much fun and served my interests as well as anyone could have hoped for.

So yeah, the only way I'm living the way I am is because there is such a thing as right and wrong, and because doing what's fun or what benefits me the most isn't necessarily the most important goal to achieve.  

And dude... life sucks.  From the moment you turn five, you get shipped to school to learn the skills you need to take care of yourself, to get a job, to pay for food, to eat, to live, so you can go to work the next day and earn more money to buy more food.  Someday you'll retire, but by then you'll be too bogged down with health problems and maybe a family to enjoy your freedom.  Sure, there'll be perks along the way, but in the grand scheme of things, they're extremely insignificant.  Maybe if you're lucky, you'll influence a few more people than most; you might even become famous and have the ear of millions.  But in the end, their lives are insignificant, too.  No matter what you achieve, it's all going to come to nothing in the end, because nothing is all that awaits you. 

Yes, evil is everywhere, in everyone.  It pollutes and corrodes much worse than any smoke or greenhouse gas ever could.  And that's not God's fault; that's our fault for trying to put ourselves on God's level in the first place.  It's because of God's influence that we ever even think of doing the right thing.  It's because of God's Son that we have any hope of escaping evil at all.

« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
I'd sleep around, do drugs, and commit horrible crimes that would benefit me, all in the spirit of having fun.  

Most atheists I know do not do drugs, sleep around, commit crimes, etc.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
I didn't say that atheists do those things (I'm sure some do, but hey, some people claiming to be Christians do, too).  I'm saying that it's the only logical choice if God doesn't exist.

« Reply #268 on: January 08, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
What do you mean "the only logical choice"?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »
To do whatever the heck you want and enjoy yourself as much as possible is the only logical choice if there's no God.  Why would anyone bother restraining himself if there's no reason to do so?

Print