Print

Author Topic: Gamer Speak  (Read 4351 times)

« on: November 19, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
Gamers have a very interesting way of speaking. We die when playing multiplayer, or people kill us. We can beat a game, or we can finish it. Things like that. But have you ever been confused by what someone means when they say they beat a game?

The way I see it, to beat a game, one simply has to finish the final fight (ie: beat Bowser). But to finish a game is to collect everything/complete all levels (ie: collect all Stars, complete hidden areas then beat Bowser..) I realise that the terms beat and finish could be interchangable, but after listening to gamers talk for at least 23 years, you kinda notice a few things.. :)

How do you use gamer speak?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:26:16 AM »
I use a handful of terms elsewhere:

1cc - one-credit clear. This refers to finishing a game (usually an arcade game) on the credit you used to start it.

falsificare (language warning) - to falsify, forge, or fake. Basically, stuff like Photoshopped scores or faked videos. It's mainly a joke, as with that video (where nothing is faked). A couple of other examples of falsificare as a joke occurred during STGT '09; one was a post of a Dragon Blaze score screencap during the Thunder Dragon 2 week (many people boycotted that week entirely due to Thunder Dragon 2, a game featuring neither thunder nor dragons, not exactly being a good choice for Dragon Week), and another was an obviously-Photoshopped image of a "Z" score (35 million) in Battle Garegga (the world record is a K, I believe, which would be twenty million).

tate - Remember that sideways monitor? That's an example of tate. A related term is yoko, where the game is displayed vertically on a horizontal monitor (with bars on either side); this is often the default mode for home versions of vertical shooters and for vertically-oriented games in MAME (which offers rotation options). Another term (one that I rarely have opportunity to use) is "ghetto tate," where you set the image on the monitor to the tate mode without rotating the monitor, and lay on your side to play the game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
I have never used "finish" to describe the act of getting everything in a game. I've only said/heard things like "get 100%".
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
During the NES and SNES era, I remember people talking about conquering games a lot. No one says that anymore except me, to be funny.

When I say beat I meant I saw the end credits.

When I want to refer to having done everything "saveable", I say I hundred percented the game.

The first time I ever heard the term tate was in xanax's PRO REVIEWS and I loved it the moment I heard it.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
Let me see...

Rigged - Maybe it's not an entirely closed gamer term, but I usually use it when a part of the game sets you up for a trap for the game is too hard in a certain part.
We can beat a game, or we can finish it.
My own take on that, is, beat means to just beat the final boss/final whatever, finish means to completely collect everything and beat the game.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »
I played something this week that started rigged right off the bat: Pokémon Rumble

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
xanax
It's xoxak. Or Rob.

Also, credit-feeding (to describe the act of using continues to complete the game). Typically you're considered to be a big loser if you consider a credit-fed victory as beating a game, and many games with score have measures in place to show that you used continues if you earn a place on the scoreboard. In "hardcore" communities, credit-feeding is generally only acceptable for practice, in which save states in MAME are also often used, and in co-op runs, which are obviously about having fun playing the game with another person rather than trying to get a good score.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:37:22 PM »
Credit feeding is impossible to do on certain machines at my school. You can't continue in Capcom vs SNK 2 but you can in Marvel vs Capcom 2. I have no clue why considering both seem to have the same amount of play among the hardcore players there.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »
Maybe someone just didn't flip the right switch.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 01:21:10 AM »
It'd be a setting in either the NAOMI BIOS or the game's test mode, but either way, the default setting on standardized hardware with the option to disable the use of continues is usually "allow continues," so it couldn't really be an accident for the machine to not allow them to be used.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 06:52:22 PM »
Yeah, it was probably set up like that on purpose. I remember when the machine needed repairs because of broken punch buttons, the repairman forgot to reset the old settings, so it was stuck in VS mode with a 1.00 credit to play. Suffice to say, nobody touched it for the 2 days it was like that.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 07:25:16 PM »
When I first saw this thread, I thought I knew what the topic was (precisely), but now I'm not totally sure if I was mistaken or if the conversation has gone in a different direction.

In any case, I wouldn't say I use too many "gamer" terms, aside from generalized slips like repeatedly referring to Force Gems in FS(A) as Rupees and, occasionally, Sonic rings as coins. Also, whenever I lose at anything in most any game, I'll probably say I "died". I've also had a tendancy in the past to bitterly remark that I've "basically" beaten a game, which is to say the final boss is all that stands in my way.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:46 AM »
Yeah, if you've done absolutley everything else, but haven't beat the final boss yet, then you essentially have completed the game.

Kinda like Toadette: she's to a point where she can finish Final Fantasy XII, but she's been playing to do hunts and generally level up.

Several of my friends refer to any games' easiest enemy as the Goomba enemy. A Goomba enemy is one that is generally easy to kill and is often the first enemy you meet in a game.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
In a lot of cases, saying you've "basically" finished a game if all you have left to do is defeat the final boss would be like saying you "basically" had sex because you engaged in a deep, passionate kiss with your significant other. This especially holds true in games without saving and in games with multiple separate bosses that could each be considered final. See: DoDonPachi, which has three final bosses (Hachi at the end of the first loop, Hachi at the end of the second loop, Hibachi after the second Hachi fight).

In games with loops, when you finish the game, you get to continue from a more difficult version of the beginning. It's not always that simple, however; to continue using DoDonPachi as an example, you must fulfill a special condition (such as clearing the first loop on a single credit or having a score of fifty million or better after Hachi) to be allowed to enter the second loop. Also, in Gunbird 2, the first stage of the second loop is whichever stage the player didn't go through in the first loop. (Not to be confused with the loops in Capcom's 194X series or Sonic the Hedgehog loops.)

Hibachi is what would be considered a true last boss; that is, it's a special boss, usually obscenely difficult and appearing immediately after the final boss, that often must be defeated for the player to see the true ending of the game. This often conflicts with Lizard Dude's consideration of beating the game as seeing the end credits, but it's closer to that than it is to hundred-percenting the game. True last bosses differ from optional bosses (such as the Phantom in Kingdom Hearts or the Countess in Diablo II) in that they aren't optional if you meet the requirements to fight them. Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser in Super Smash Bros. Melee could also be considered as true last bosses, I suppose.

A BAD END is when a game has multiple endings and you get a bad one. Fate/stay night and other visual novels have numerous BAD ENDs (which are labeled as such or as DEAD ENDs). Losing to Lavos at most points in Chrono Trigger triggers a BAD END. Not fulfilling a certain condition when fighting the "final" boss in many Castlevania games results in a BAD END. (Failing to trigger the second loop in DoDonPachi does not result in a BAD END, but instead a rather dull and boring end. Also, a BAD END is usually different from a standard game over in that you've still technically finished the game - just not in anything close to a good way.)

I forgot about dying referring to a game over from losing all lives rather than just losing a single life. See: Every Extend (where suicide is your only means of attack), Battle Garegga (where strategic suicide is required to keep the difficulty down and to make the most of certain scoring opportunities).

I tried to ghetto tate Ikaruga the other day (due to not being allowed to put the TV on its side), but the image didn't fit the screen properly. I tried tating the GameCube with the little screen attached (which meant putting the system itself on its side) and the image fit properly, but that screen is too small for one to be able to use it to really play shmups well.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 01:40:58 AM »
In a lot of cases, saying you've "basically" finished a game if all you have left to do is defeat the final boss would be like saying you "basically" had sex because you engaged in a deep, passionate kiss with your significant other.

Print